User Tag List

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Wingra, 30 yr old KHS Mountain Bike, Used Yakima traile
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flagstaff, AZ Taylor House Ride

My bride and I completed the 45 mile stretch of the Taylor House ride on Saturday. We've been riding again for several months and had worked our way up to 40 mile Saturday morning rides around Winslow. They were not adequate preparation for me to face the 1,000+ foot climb up to Wupatki, starting at about 6,000 ft.

My bride, who is 6 years my junior and in much better physical shape, had no real difficulty. I thought I would die. Then I was afraid I wouldn't. The only reason I didn't get off and walk, is because I was going too slowly and I was too tired to be sure I could unclip and dismount without falling over. When we turned around the downhill went really quickly - then after it leveled out, there was a swift headwind all the way back to Flag. When we returned they had a very nice lunch waiting for us. I was so tired it took me an hour to eat a sandwich and a bowl of fruit.

We will continue to ride and train. We plan to ride the Tour of Tucson later this year. At least there will be oxygen!
    The difference between "Bold" and "Stupid"
    is often measured by the severity of your injuries.

63 yr old MTB newbie and his lovely bride

His: '08 Roubaix S-Works, ''11 Stumpjumper FSR Comp, '11 TriCross Comp, '11 Globe SS with Brooks B-17W saddle
    Hers:'08 Ruby Pro, '11 Safire FSR Comp, '11 TriCross Comp, '11 Skinny Benny SS with Brooks B-17 saddle
    Theirs: '10 Breezer 3-speed commuter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Mormon Lake loop is one of the nicest rides on the planet, well in N. Az anyway. Keep at it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to add. Is there anywhere to download a que sheet on the Taylor House ride? Looked on the ride web site and saw the elevation info. The GPS stuff works only with a GPS computer, as in Garmin?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disregard the above, found it.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am planning to ride El Tour de Tucson again this year.. will be my 4th in a row! I have ridden El Tour de Phoenix every year since 2004. Good Luck!

Have you ever ridden a ride with that many starting?

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have ridden Wupatki on our tandem; used all our gears. Nice workout.
    As for El Tour de Tucson, this will be my 26th time. My wife has done it 15 times with me on our tandem.
    The first El Tour had just under 200 riders, it's been increasing almost every year. Once the riders spread out a bit, it's not bad . . . but +/- 9,000 cyclists is still a good size crowd. The mass start can be a bit dicey.
    Pedal on!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McQz View Post
    I was so tired it took me an hour to eat a sandwich and a bowl of fruit.
    That lack of hunger is a danger sign for Bonking. Sounds as though you got very close to it, without recognising the signs. You forgot ones of the rules of this Forum. A good breakfast beforehand- eat and drink on the ride and then drink more- after having had a drink of course. Then the most important bit- Coffee and PIE on the ride.

Still a long ride with a good slope in it. Prepare better next time and you won't even get out of the big ring.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30 years ago we were avid bikees and rode in a lot of large groups, including the 5-cities tour of San Diego going over the Coronado bridge in a group of thousands! I was pulling our 2 little girls in a trailer which showed up on the cover of the AYSO magazine!

So, yes we have, but not recently. We've been riding solo, duo, and in very select small groups for the past 6 months and the Taylor House ride was the biggest group we've seen or been a part of in recent history.

His: '08 Roubaix S-Works, ''11 Stumpjumper FSR Comp, '11 TriCross Comp, '11 Globe SS with Brooks B-17W saddle
    Hers:'08 Ruby Pro, '11 Safire FSR Comp, '11 TriCross Comp, '11 Skinny Benny SS with Brooks B-17 saddle

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in Phoenix and Tucson this week and saw a number of folks out riding early in the morning. I also did the El Tour de Tucson this past year and really enjoyed it as well. I used it as an excuse to fly out and visit my daughter. Undecided about doing it again this year-pretty expensive trip for me!!

The Flagstaff area is beautiful country, I bet it's a terrific area to ride-but maybe not so in the winter??

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you are particularly "studly" Flagstaff is a virtually bike free zone in the winter. They get significant snowfall and, in spite of the cinders they spread on the road, traction on the black ice approaches absolute zero.

In Winslow just 55 miles to the east, on the other hand, we have cool to cold weather with virtually no snowfall and iced roads are a rarity! Bundle up and take a 15 mile ride to Mojo's Coffee Shop where they encourage you to bring in your bike and surf the internet on your ipod