Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geeze now I am Confused

HI,
    I went by a LBS some months ago and was fitted for a road bike, did the barefoot stand with the board wedge up into the undercarriage, and after some arm measurements he stated, 58 cm is your perfect fit.
    Now I am a rather tall person with rather long legs . wear 33 pant inseams and I am 6ft 2in.
    I did find a used bike at another LBS and it was a nice cad 4 it was a little large at 60cm but I ve adjusted and have the seat for and aft handlebars set, and seem to really fit the bike.
    Yesterday I was drooling over a sweet looking seven titanium bike it was only a 55 cm really small for me so he did a fitting with a tool that many of those specialized bike store use where you stand with your heels touching a board and press the measuring stick into the undercarriage as before.
    he plugged the number in to a bike frame sizing slide rule and came up with 61 cm..
    thats a pretty big spread in my book from 58 cm to 61.
    has anyone seen this before, could it be one is a relaxed fit with handlebar adjustment up with the 58,
    and a more reaching profile with the 61.
    Wow this needs to be checked out before I spend 3 grand on a new bike.:
    Doug
    Last edited by djnzlab1; 07-31-09 at 10:36 AM.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what bike the LBS was measuring you for. Keep in mind that bikes of the same cm size will fit differently between brands and even models within the same brand. It's like a running shoe fit, you may take a size 10 Nike and a size 11 New Balance. You are doing well by asking questions and visiting the LBS. Make sure the bike fits you regardless of what size it is labeled.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also 6'2" tall. My Orbea Onix is a 60 CM and fits very well. My Trek 5500 is a 60 CM and fits very well. My Surly LHT is a 58 and fits very well. I have not got a clue either.

I need to add that I had a Specialized Allez (sp) 61 CM that I bought used that was too big for me. The next bike I had was a Tirreno Razza 2000 which was a 58 CM and was too small. Finally went to a LBS to buy a new bike that fit. Best move I have make in cycling.
    Last edited by BikeArkansas; 07-30-09 at 09:35 PM.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    djnzlab1, it appears that you and I and BikeArkansas are about the same size. I'm 6'2" as well. My new bike is a 60 cm Synapse Carbon 5 and seems to fit well. The old road bike is a Fuji Newest, XL frame, and it's a comfy fit. Both of these bikes are "relaxed" fit, I believe.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazingly enough, the size bike you need will always be the size of bike the LBS has in stock. I don't know why, it's a mystery.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 6 2" as well.

My smallest bike measures 60.7 cm and is too small for me. The bikes that fit me are around 62 or 63 cm. Some online fit calculators say I should ride a 58 to 60 cm. On the Rivendell site, using their method, they say I would buy a 67 or 68 cm Rivendell. I was in a bike shop looking at a bike the other day, asked for a 60 or 62 cm to test ride, and they were instead 100% certain that I should buy the 57 cm they had on the floor instead of ordering the size I wanted.

Clear as mud -so, depending on who you listen to, I should ride anything from a 57 cm to 67 cm.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Different manufacturers have different sizing criteria. Rivendell is at one extreme for example.

Inside leg is only one measurement to fit a bike. Required bar height is another. The better measurement to go by is top tube length- and even this can be adjusted with a change of stem length. Seat and bar height and reach can be moved with spanners but top tube length that will affect the reach on a bike is fixed.

So on the giant sizing I fit anything between an XS and an M. That equates to between 49 and 56. I have Giant bikes in all 3 sizes and they all fit. I also have Boreas that is a 51 and that fits- and a Bianchi at 15 1/2" and that fits-and the Kona at 19" and that fits and the Cannondale Tanden that is a L/M and I can sit in both positions.

All you have to do to fit a bike is be able to adjust some things and be comfortable. Mind you- what fits now may not in 6 months time when you realise that the saddle needs to go down a bit- and the bars could be 5mm further away or that nothing fits and you have been sold the wrong size bike
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also understand that the size measurement for different brands may be different. Some measure from the center of the bottom bracket to the center of the top tube; others measure from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the top tube. I am 6'0" with 33" inseam and ride both 58 and 60 cm bikes. Mostly, the best fit for me is the bike I barely have any stand over clearance on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the replies

HI,
    I think I see the light , so it seems there are many different ways to make adjustments to the fit be it handlebar bracket spacers, or seat fore and aft.
    Ive noticed the seven seems to have a very relaxed looking geometry the center tube angles down towards the seat this could make alonger top bar actually shorter?
    doug
    I am in no hurry to upgrade I just love to look at newer bikes and kick the tires..
    Last edited by djnzlab1; 07-31-09 at 02:11 PM.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by djnzlab1 View Post
    HI,
    I am in no hurry to upgrade I just love to look at newer bikes and kick the tires..
    You'r not normal- Spend two weeks looking at the bikes and then buy fron the saleman that you like

If you have the time then you can peruse the bikes in the catalogues- read the ride reports that are available- ask questions about particular bikes on the forum and even choose the colours you like. Nothing better than to get out to the shops and see the bikes you fancy and even get some test rides in. That is the only way to check- and along the line there will be one that will follow you home.

Or you can do as I did- go into the shop- see the bike and buy it after a test ride. Hasn't let me down yet.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by djnzlab1 View Post
    thats a pretty big spread in my book from 58 cm to 61.
    Actually, there's a bit more to it than that.

First of all, one brand's 50 cm doesn't necessarily equal another brand's 58 cm. Some measure to the centerline of the top tube, some to the top of the top tube. That doesn't even take into account the slanty top tube bikes that have become so popular.

Then there's this: Why do we use the seat tube length as the key measurement for sizing a bike? Saddle height is the easiest dimension on the whole bike to adjust.

Bottom line, you need to work with your dealer before you buy a $3,000 bike. Make them explain why they are recommending a particular size.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The old Greg LeMond book says he measured frame size at .667 of his inseam using bare feet measurement of floor to crotch. At a 32.5" inseam, my recollection is that I needed a 55cm (center to center) frame. I can ride anything from 54 to 56 and be comfortable and efficient.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO Stapfam is right, it agrees with what many have written - including the Great Sheldon, TT length is the key. I would add to that stand over height - you need enough room to clear the "junk in the trunk" with your feet on the ground. What we haven't heard yet are the claims that the only bike that really fits is the one that is custom made for you.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must be all legs. I'm 6ft 1" but my inseam is 35.2 inches. I have pretty long arms so my torso but be the size of a midget???

I started with 62 (trek's frame) and rode those for a number of years but have recently migrated to a 58 as the ideal geometry. I actually had both sizes at the same time but had the saddle the same height on both bikes and the reach was also the same. The new Prince is even a tad smaller. I enjoy the slightly shorter TT length and reach with smaller frame size.

I think you nailed it when you indicated the availability of all the adjustments. I know I've completed numerous 6-8 hour rides on 58-62 size frames and was comfortable on all sizes-but had them all fitted pretty similarly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    IMHO Stapfam is right, it agrees with what many have written - including the Great Sheldon, TT length is the key. I would add to that stand over height - you need enough room to clear the "junk in the trunk" with your feet on the ground. What we haven't heard yet are the claims that the only bike that really fits is the one that is custom made for you.
    Have to disagree.

Those of us with long torsos and short legs don't worry about SO height. Paarticularly on a road bike with traditional frame. I have about 0 SO height - only way to get the rest of the bike to fit, unless I went to a compact frame.

The top tube is the factor.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Were you barefoot for the first measurement and with shoe for the 2nd LBS? I suspect that you should be wearing shoes and that would have made the first measurement closer to 60 or 61 cm.

As a modifier, divide your height by your bike fit inseam. You should come out with a number somewhere between 2.0 and 2.2. If less, consider a shorter bike if more consider a longer one.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    Amazingly enough, the size bike you need will always be the size of bike the LBS has in stock. I don't know why, it's a mystery.
    I think it's in the work rules.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Those of us with long torsos and short legs don't worry about SO height. Paarticularly on a road bike with traditional frame. I have about 0 SO height - only way to get the rest of the bike to fit, unless I went to a compact frame.

Stand over height is the least of my worries. I have negative stand over on some of my bikes but once in the saddle it does not matter. AND I ride mainly compact frames.

But Mountain bikes are different.(Just in case someone uses the suggestions here for one of those.) In general- an MTB frame is smaller than a road frame. Standover is required and so is a shorter top tube. Both the bikes in the attachments fit me but the fit on the two types is different
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Have to disagree.

OK - stand corrected (and over my TT)
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.