Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Looking for a new bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/568602-looking-new-bike.html)

gitarzan 07-30-09 10:48 PM

Looking for a new bike

I am in the mood for a new bike. I am a renewed rider, getting back in the saddle after a number of years on motorcycles then a rough time the last couple years with some health issues (undiagnosed Addison's). Well the health issues are back in control and I have fallen in love again with two wheelin' under my own power. The motorcycles are gone and I've been rolling around on an old cruiser and an older Raleigh Super Record with upright 3-speed handle bars on it. The Super Record is a huge bike. I really sit high in the air on it.

So I've been shopping. I have ridden and like the Trek 7.5 Fx and a Giant FCR2. I like the Trek a little better than the Giant, but I can't really tell much of a diffence. The Trek and Giant shifted flawlessly, and rode nice. The Trek seemed to have better finish. The Giant finish was great as well but seemed a little less complex treatment-wise.

I checked out a Diamondback, but locally the selection of their fitness type bikes is limited. I heard they have an issue with brake squeal too. Otherwise the Diamondback seems like a bargain, but seemed low end.

Another bike that interests me are the Specialized Sirrus Sport, and will be taking a look at that one this weekend. It's described as a road bike with an upright stance, and that sounds like Raleigh.

Lastly there is a Motobecane Cafe Noir. A road type bike with an upright set of bars. If I mail order I can get it for a great price. A LBS nearby no longer sells bikes but assembles and repairs. I'd be happy to give him the job. Plus he used to sell Motobecane, but sales dropped as the local mall shut down.

I want to keep prices in the $800 range give or take a few hundred.

Anyway my heart goes for the Trek due to high tech look and the great ride I had. The Motobecane also calls to me. The Chro-moly tubes are cool traditional and if I end up not linking the flat bar, I can add some bullhorns and it still will look in place.

The Giant presented no complaints, other than it was blue (blue isn't my color). And I plan to saddle up the specialized this weekend.

So. Does anyone have any other suggestions or pointers? Am I overlooking something? I figure by next weekend I'll be riding something new or waiting for it to be shipped.

NOS88 07-31-09 05:10 AM

All the bikes you mentioned are fine bikes. Personally, I'd be careful about getting a bike that I couldn't rides/try out for fit before buying. Can you return the Motobecane if it's the wrong fit? I like you thinking in having the former LBS guy do the assembly if you go the mail order route (I'd want to be there while he was doing it to ask questions). Also keep in mind the n+1 rule. Even if the bike you get is a dream bike for you, you may find yourself wanting another as you get deeper into the sport.

gitarzan 08-01-09 12:21 PM

For the record, I just got a Specialized Globe Vienna 1 Deluxe. It's a nice urban/bike path bike. I'm pleased and that's what counts. The Raleigh Super Record will be undergoing a refurbishment and I'll ride that as well.

Case Closed.