Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3-speed Sturmey Archer Project continues

I've started back on the project I reported in April. She's just under 25 lbs as shown.

New internal gear track frame project

I had to file the front fork to fit the axle but the big parts are put together. I'm having a hard time figuring out the cabling, etc. The provided brake cable (complete with housing) is double ended. It won't install into the brakes. I also don't have a shifter solution.

Here's the first build pics:

Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shifter solution #1: S-A trigger nested behind inboard of one of the brake handles.

Shifter solution #2: An old school S-A trigger or lever designed for top tube mounting.

Shifter solution #3: A single friction downtube lever (been there ... done that -- kind of fun, and worked like a champ).
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Shifter solution #1: S-A trigger nested behind inboard of one of the brake handles.

Shifter solution #2: An old school S-A trigger or lever designed for top tube mounting.

Shifter solution #3: A single friction downtube lever (been there ... done that -- kind of fun, and worked like a champ).
    I got the grip shift - but it does not fit the bars. I bought a traditional shifter - I still have to try but I don't think it fits. I'm considering a stem mount or downtube mount for the traditional shifter but I'm not optimistic. I haven't figured out how to attach the cable to the shifter - it came bare.
    There is supposed to be SA bar-end (not useful) and downtube versions but only available in Europe.

Meanwhile the cable attachments to the drum brakes are confusing. The rear hub has a dozen parts but at least I have some instructions. It'll be a while before I get her on the road.
    Korval is Ships

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is awesome! Somewhere, Sheldon is smiling.

Please keep us posted on this. I love project bicycles. As for me, I'm keenly interested in the soon-to-be-available SA S3X Fixed gear 3 speed hub. My next ride may be so equipped. I suspect that there may be an "availability problem" when they are finally available, but we'll see what happens.

Looking at the various offerings from major manufacturers today, not a heck of a lot appeals to me. The best thing is to "roll your own".
    I thought I was suffering from depression once. Turned out, I was simply surrounded by idiots.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bicycle art.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
    Bicycle art.
    Yes!
    I thought I was suffering from depression once. Turned out, I was simply surrounded by idiots.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought one of those extension bars that will serve as the mount for the twist grip. I'm also replacing the FELT carbon seatpost with an old school American Classic alloy seatpost. The CF is going on a Nashbar Al CF (kinesis) frame with carbon fork / seat stays that I'm building for a coworker.

Builds are a bit delayed because I'm busy getting our household ready for shipping both children out to their respective colleges. The last one is gone on the 27th (local school). On the 29th my first wife and I are boarding the cruise ship in Baltimore. Can you say "happy dance?" The 31st is our 24th anniversary.
    Korval is Ships

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    I bought a traditional shifter - I still have to try but I don't think it fits.
    Can't tell from the pictures but your handlebar just doesn't look that special. I can't believe the bar is too small for the clamp, but if it is just build it up. Too big? The SLS3C classic trigger has a steel band. Spring it apart, wrap it around the bar and clamp it down with a smaller diameter screw than it came with. Bob's your uncle.

Don't over think this; shifting three speeds just isn't that tough. One gear (third on SAs and T3s, first on Shimanos and iM3s) is cable slack and the other extreme is cable taut. You only have to know* where 2nd is - align the shift rod/indicator position with a known index position on almost any indexing shifter: brifters, thumbies, barcons, down tubes, etc.

HTH,
    tcs

*Look at it, feel of it, count clicks...
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    On the 29th my first wife and I are boarding the cruise ship in Baltimore.
    I must say, your present wife is very understanding.

tcs
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tcs View Post
    I must say, your present wife is very understanding.

tcs
    No, she's not - she is my first wife. The term is a bad joke I picked up from someone recently. After the first 5 years, and all but one year of 4 optional 5 year stints, I'm looking to stay the incumbent as first husband.

In R A Heinlein's sci-fi world "first wife" would probably mean something entirely different.
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please keep us posted on your progress.