Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   recovery from hernia operation ?s (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/568716-recovery-hernia-operation-s.html)

alentric 07-31-09 08:54 AM

recovery from hernia operation ?s

Hi,
I have been away for awhile-I had a pain in my groin that caused me to
slow down my cycling considerabley. It took some time to diagnose it as a hernia,
but that was the final conclusion. I had a laproscopic repair one week ago.
A mesh patch was placed inside of me. I feel good and I am going to the doctor today to
have it looked at and for the removal of the sutures. I was wondering what the recovery
period was like for other guys. I am 55 years old and in fairly good shape before the hernia.
How soon did you cycle? play tennis? lift weights ? etc?
Thanks,
Augie

1bluetrek 07-31-09 09:42 AM

I had surgery for an inguinal hernia last november, I wish I had been able to get a laproscopic procedure! I was off the bike for about a month and back to work (light duty). Just go easy and follow Docs orders. Pay attention to where you had the surgery, as it turns out, my surgery was to repair a previous surgery where the mesh tore loose.

JTGraphics 07-31-09 09:56 AM

I had double hernia surgery I wanted it to heal good so I rested for a good month took it real easy for another 4 in 6 months I was back to normal stuff.
I can say its been 9 years now and I have had no issues at all with either area and is as good or better than before.

kdiehl 07-31-09 11:20 AM

Don't push too hard and tear out the patch...it's way harder to fix the second time around!

Stevie47 07-31-09 01:28 PM

I did it a few years ago, at age 56 or so? I forget. I was back on the bike very quickly. Within a couple of days as I recall. It felt fine, but coming up out of the saddle hurt a bit. Once I was up it was ok but I was careful making the change.

My doc told me of one patient he did a mesh repair on, and had a small problem and had to go back in to change something about the mesh, and that after being in place for a couple of hours he could hardly get it loose. Apparently it binds very quickly. The odds of it tearing loose (baring something like power lifting, I suppose) are small.

Free advice: worth every cent :)

stapfam 07-31-09 01:32 PM

A friend had it a few years ago and he had to have 6 weeks off the bike. No cycling- no lifting- no running- so He walked everywhere- at 6mph. On 6 weeks + 1 day he got back on the bike and slaughtered me.

If you can't ride- stay fit and mobile.

alentric 08-02-09 08:41 AM

One week after my operation, I walked 3 miles on the track. Calling doc tomorrow to get a workout schedule. How did your mesh patch get loose?

alentric 08-04-09 08:01 AM

It seems the answer to almost every question I asked the nurse at the doctor's
office was 4-6 weeks for tennis, weight lifting etc... I can wait on the weights for longer and I
will wait at least 8 weeks and I will wait the 4-6 weeks for tennis, but she did say I can
cycle as long as it doesn't feel like it is pulling by my repair. so, I plan on some easy rides
this weekend 2 weeks after the operation

bykemike 08-04-09 04:49 PM

I had the regular cut open and patch type. It took quite a while to heal , 4-6 months sounds right, I was back at work in a week but I could feel it for a long time. I think the laproscopic is way easier to recover from.

KDC1956 08-07-09 11:22 PM

ReHernia

I have had two double hernia in the last two years now and it is looking like I may have one more soon here I am going to the doct on the 27 of this month.So I was going on a great trip to Bangor Maine soon here but its looking like I may have to put a hold on this trip.I hope I don't have to tho.I wish you all the best of luck on your hernia hope you have a better luck with yours.But this has not stop me form riding my bicycle but it sure has hurt me a lot but I do like to ride so I put up with the pain as long as I can.

12bar 08-08-09 03:14 AM

Been there and done that twice :twitchy: just follow the Dr's orders. It was about 6 weeks before I got back on the bike after the second repair.

staehpj1 08-08-09 06:35 AM

I had repairs to inguinal hernias on both sides at different times. Both were conventional surgery. One was within a week of other major abdominal surgery.

With the one that was just a hernia repair I was riding in two weeks, but avoided heavy lifting for several more weeks.

The other one, if it was just the hernia, would have been the same, but the other abdominal surgery that preceded it kept me laid up much longer.

FWIW, my surgeon was of the opinion that conventional surgery is preferred to arthroscopic for this procedure. I tend to trust him since he has a stellar reputation and is chief of surgery at a major hospital.