Specialized Sirrus ,Trek 850, Gt Agressor-wife Specialized Crossroads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

recovery from hernia operation ?s

Hi,
    I have been away for awhile-I had a pain in my groin that caused me to
    slow down my cycling considerabley. It took some time to diagnose it as a hernia,
    but that was the final conclusion. I had a laproscopic repair one week ago.
    A mesh patch was placed inside of me. I feel good and I am going to the doctor today to
    have it looked at and for the removal of the sutures. I was wondering what the recovery
    period was like for other guys. I am 55 years old and in fairly good shape before the hernia.
    How soon did you cycle? play tennis? lift weights ? etc?
    Thanks,
    Augie

My Bikes
    Trek 1500, a GT Avalanche and a Mongoose IBOC Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had surgery for an inguinal hernia last november, I wish I had been able to get a laproscopic procedure! I was off the bike for about a month and back to work (light duty). Just go easy and follow Docs orders. Pay attention to where you had the surgery, as it turns out, my surgery was to repair a previous surgery where the mesh tore loose.
    Join the fight to stop Diabetes! You can help improve the lives of those living with this disease!Sponsor me in the 2012 Tour de Cure in Redmond Washington!

http://main.diabetes.org/goto/ericsalinas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had double hernia surgery I wanted it to heal good so I rested for a good month took it real easy for another 4 in 6 months I was back to normal stuff.
    I can say its been 9 years now and I have had no issues at all with either area and is as good or better than before.
    It may not be fancy but it gets me were I need to go.
    http://www.jtgraphics.net/cyclist_bicycles.htm

Cottonwood Heights, Utah (Salt Lake City suburb)
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9, Co-motion Americano
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't push too hard and tear out the patch...it's way harder to fix the second time around!

My Bikes
    Waterford, Orbea, Giant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did it a few years ago, at age 56 or so? I forget. I was back on the bike very quickly. Within a couple of days as I recall. It felt fine, but coming up out of the saddle hurt a bit. Once I was up it was ok but I was careful making the change.

My doc told me of one patient he did a mesh repair on, and had a small problem and had to go back in to change something about the mesh, and that after being in place for a couple of hours he could hardly get it loose. Apparently it binds very quickly. The odds of it tearing loose (baring something like power lifting, I suppose) are small.

Free advice: worth every cent
    Wiggy wiggy scratch yo yo bang bang

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend had it a few years ago and he had to have 6 weeks off the bike. No cycling- no lifting- no running- so He walked everywhere- at 6mph. On 6 weeks + 1 day he got back on the bike and slaughtered me.

If you can't ride- stay fit and mobile.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One week after my operation, I walked 3 miles on the track. Calling doc tomorrow to get a workout schedule. How did your mesh patch get loose?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems the answer to almost every question I asked the nurse at the doctor's
    office was 4-6 weeks for tennis, weight lifting etc... I can wait on the weights for longer and I
    will wait at least 8 weeks and I will wait the 4-6 weeks for tennis, but she did say I can
    cycle as long as it doesn't feel like it is pulling by my repair. so, I plan on some easy rides
    this weekend 2 weeks after the operation

My Bikes
    1983 Pinarello Treviso ,2008 Specialized Tarmac, 1984 Ciocc, De Rosa 1982, Fuji Absolute 2.0 touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the regular cut open and patch type. It took quite a while to heal , 4-6 months sounds right, I was back at work in a week but I could feel it for a long time. I think the laproscopic is way easier to recover from.
    "ready to navigate"

My Bikes
    Surly LHT 52cm Nice Bicycle I think.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReHernia

I have had two double hernia in the last two years now and it is looking like I may have one more soon here I am going to the doct on the 27 of this month.So I was going on a great trip to Bangor Maine soon here but its looking like I may have to put a hold on this trip.I hope I don't have to tho.I wish you all the best of luck on your hernia hope you have a better luck with yours.But this has not stop me form riding my bicycle but it sure has hurt me a lot but I do like to ride so I put up with the pain as long as I can.

My Bikes
    Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there and done that twice just follow the Dr's orders. It was about 6 weeks before I got back on the bike after the second repair.
    "It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up after a night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done for someone you love". Blazeman, Warrior Poet

11 Giant Talon 1, 10 Masi 3VC, 08 Long Haul Trucker, 08 Felt Curbside, 99 Specialized Allez

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had repairs to inguinal hernias on both sides at different times. Both were conventional surgery. One was within a week of other major abdominal surgery.

With the one that was just a hernia repair I was riding in two weeks, but avoided heavy lifting for several more weeks.

The other one, if it was just the hernia, would have been the same, but the other abdominal surgery that preceded it kept me laid up much longer.

FWIW, my surgeon was of the opinion that conventional surgery is preferred to arthroscopic for this procedure. I tend to trust him since he has a stellar reputation and is chief of surgery at a major hospital.