Went bicycle shopping today. Want something to ride around town and on a very flat gravel and dirt trail. Someone suggested a cyclocross. As background, I'm 52 in reasonably good shape and haven't done any serious riding in at least twenty years. Here are the options I looked at (all Canadian prices):
1. Trek 1.2 for $897 out the door price. The guy told me it would be fine for trail riding, I have my doubts as its clearly a road bike.
2. Trek 7.5FX for the same price.
1. Specialized Tricross $1429
2. Devinci Caribou $1179 (didn't ride, they didn't have it ready)
1. Kona Jake the Snake $1265.60 out the door
2. Kona Dew $378 out the door.
Now, of all the bikes, i actually liked the Kona Dew the best. Trouble is, its not in my size. They have one the owners says he's only ridden a week he can bring in tomorrow. They said they might be able to offer something less on it. I don't like straight handlebars but it did handle nicely.
Any advice on which bike, or what would be a reasonable to expect off on the price of a Dew that someone has already been using?