Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cool/Cold weather riding clothing advice

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: What type of lower body warmers?
Leg warmers
18.42%
Full riding pants
23.68%
Get both, you'll never know what you'll need
57.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Cool/Cold weather riding clothing advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-09, 07:22 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12774 Post(s)
Liked 7,692 Times in 4,081 Posts
While I lived in PHX, it snowed midday once. Actually stuck for an hour or so, too. 35th and Bell area. That weather's quite rare, of course.

My answers are outside the realm of choices given.

Sometimes a union suit, sometimes Nashbar tights, sometimes red ledge rain pants. Sometimes the tights and the pants.

Does "Full riding pants" mean tights?

Union suit for short commutes only.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 08-07-09 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-07-09, 07:28 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
It's August. Might hit 90 tomorrow.
I've worn my relaxed fit running tights once in the last month. I've worn a nylon windbreaker vest a few mornings.
Ask the question again in late September.
Old 08-07-09, 08:16 PM
Bicycle n00B

Bikes: None yet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
Take it from someone who has to work in the cold - and I mean temps down to -20F, blowing snow and high winds - when your hands and feet are cold and you are wearing good gloves and boots/socks - the root cause is typically that your head is not well enough protected. You loose 60% of your body heat through your head and your body will shunt off your hands and feet first. When it gets in the 40's I wear a fleece beenie under the helmet, when it is in the low 50's I wear a coolmax beanie, when it is in the 20s I consider a ski helmet.
Aye, cyclin, I learned that lesson from rock climbing and mountaineering - When one's feet feel cold, put on a hat!

I've got good ski-caps to wear under-helmet, and I'm hoping that'll keep in enough warmth to maintain heat in hands and feet. If not, I've got balaclavas for extra neck protection.
Old 08-07-09, 08:22 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Been wearing Headsweat coolmax skull caps pretty much every ride for months - moderately cold, cool, warm, hot.
Old 08-07-09, 08:30 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JanMM
Been wearing Headsweat coolmax skull caps pretty much every ride for months - moderately cold, cool, warm, hot.
Lots of people like the dew caps for sweat - I am not one, I use a sweat band but save the dew cap for when it's a little colder.
Old 08-07-09, 08:57 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
As I am prone to skin cancer, I wear a coolmax year-round. The sun comes in through the vent holes, and there is not much hair to shield from the sun.
Old 08-07-09, 10:21 PM
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
As for the full pants, I've seen the ones, guess they're called knickers, that go down to mid-shin, and I was told you could get riding pants that went all the down to the ankles for when it's cold, so wondering if the full length leg riding pants, or knickers with long socks, are better than the leg warmers? If I just get knee warmers/knickers, and I have exposed skin, I will be cold.

I do have a cap for running which should work under my helmet. Guess I need to check that.

Don't have shoe covers yet, but if it's that cold, or wet, I probably won't ride because as soon as my lungs suck in the cool, wet air, I'll be sunk.

Sounds like the arm warmers, as well as the leg warmers, don't slide down and provide good protection. I know I'll probably get all of them at some point, just trying to figure out what to get first? I was going to wait until Christmas, but it will be cold long before that, so guess I'll start building my clothing now.
Old 08-07-09, 10:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I likes me wool with a wind stopper layer when it really starts getting chilly. Still, it kinda early to be thinking about it, enjoying the dog days while they last.
Old 08-08-09, 02:05 AM
Lance Legweak

Originally Posted by Cornflakes
, it kinda early to be thinking about it, enjoying the dog days while they last.
Normally, it's been in the 80's or 90's here, but we had a rare low pressure system today with a good breeze, lots of clouds, and it got downright cool at times, so just got me to thinkin
Old 08-08-09, 04:14 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HIPCHIP
As for the full pants, I've seen the ones, guess they're called knickers, that go down to mid-shin, and I was told you could get riding pants that went all the down to the ankles for when it's cold, so wondering if the full length leg riding pants, or knickers with long socks, are better than the leg warmers? If I just get knee warmers/knickers, and I have exposed skin, I will be cold.

I do have a cap for running which should work under my helmet. Guess I need to check that.

Don't have shoe covers yet, but if it's that cold, or wet, I probably won't ride because as soon as my lungs suck in the cool, wet air, I'll be sunk.

Sounds like the arm warmers, as well as the leg warmers, don't slide down and provide good protection. I know I'll probably get all of them at some point, just trying to figure out what to get first? I was going to wait until Christmas, but it will be cold long before that, so guess I'll start building my clothing now.
If your looking for a prioritized list this would be mine based on utility, not temperature:
1) Long sleeve jersey
2) Wind breaker
3) Full length gloves
4) Tights
5) fleece skull cap
6) Arm warmers
7) Shoe covers
8) Knickers
9) Leg warmers

My head, arms and fingers get cold long before my legs and feet do. Knickers are great but I used shorts or tights for years before I bought knickers. Shoe covers are a must wen it really gets cold but one season I wrapped my feet in med size zip-lock bags to keep the wind off them, that worked up to a point. Base layers can usually be made up from other non-cycling specific clothing. As always YMMV.
Old 08-08-09, 08:15 AM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Normally, it's been in the 80's or 90's here, but we had a rare low pressure system today with a good breeze, lots of clouds, and it got downright cool at times, so just got me to thinkin
I must be the opposite of you where weather is concerned. When it gets much into the 80s I don't want to ride. The few rides I've done near 100 were total disasters. I took a look at your yearly average temps and I don't see anything that would require more than knee and arm warmers with a vest. Everyone is different though.

Items of clothing I use at some point in the year:

Summer
bibs
ss jersey
lightweight socks
summer ss base layer
fingerless gloves

Fall/Spring
bibs
ss jersey
lightweight socks
summer or medium weight ss base layer
fingerless or light full fingered gloves
arm warmers
knee warmers
sleeveless vest
cycling cap
toe covers

Winter
all the above
winter bibs
long sleeved jersey
mid weight long sleeved base layer
fleece windstopper gloves
ear muffs or ear band
booties
mid weight socks
embrocation ointment - Assos Creme
leg warmers
medium weight jacket with windstopper

I don't ride much when the temp is above 80º or below 50º. If it gets too hot in town I just ride up on the mountain where it is cooler. I will do winter rides in the mid 40s but not much below (ave high in Jan. is 47º). Fall event rides can start in the low 30s but will usually finish in the 60s. I don't overdress for those.
Old 08-08-09, 09:28 AM
Bicycle n00B

Bikes: None yet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornflakes
I likes me wool with a wind stopper layer when it really starts getting chilly. Still, it kinda early to be thinking about it, enjoying the dog days while they last.
Wind-stopping is the key for me in cool weather, and I'm hoping it will be the same in the cold of January-February here.
Old 08-08-09, 10:01 AM
Lance Legweak

Originally Posted by cyclinfool
If your looking for a prioritized list this would be mine based on utility, not temperature:
1) Long sleeve jersey
2) Wind breaker
3) Full length gloves
4) Tights
5) fleece skull cap
6) Arm warmers
7) Shoe covers
8) Knickers
9) Leg warmers

My head, arms and fingers get cold long before my legs and feet do. Knickers are great but I used shorts or tights for years before I bought knickers. Shoe covers are a must wen it really gets cold but one season I wrapped my feet in med size zip-lock bags to keep the wind off them, that worked up to a point. Base layers can usually be made up from other non-cycling specific clothing. As always YMMV.
I do have a lot of this stuff from my running days, even my motorcycle days, so at least I have a good start. Just have to see what's on sale now that it's near 100 degrees most of the time (LOL). The heat doesn't seem to bother me that much, but just give me a slight chill and I'm toast!
Old 08-08-09, 12:56 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Once it gets below 65F I break out the wool tights and jersey. When it gets below 55F I get out the fleece-lined shoes:

But I've been having problems with Reynaud's phenomenon for the past few years. Once it gets below freezing I stop riding because if the Reynaud's kicks in it can take several hours before the pain subsides and my hands and feet become functional again.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 08-08-09 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-08-09, 03:11 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I find that Knickers are ideal down to freezing temps. I do not have a problem with cold legs- but that covering over the knees does keep the joints just a bit warmer.

Only time I wear tights is in the wet- or well below freezing. Cold- wet- stinging- freezing water hitting the calf muscles hurts. You might as well throw rocks at my legs but cycling tights will just take the sting out of the rain and as they are Lycra they do not hold moisture.

And shoe covers work. In cold weather they do keep out the wind and the rain. Just make vcertain you go to the LBS with your shoes to get the right size.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-08-09, 09:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Once it gets below 65F I break out the wool tights and jersey. When it gets below 55F I get out the fleece-lined shoes:

Ooooo very nice. Classic styling.
Old 08-09-09, 11:50 AM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have always used leg warmers, but just bought a pair of tights to put over the three pair of good shorts that all got "see-thru" at the same time, even though they are still comfy.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 08-09-09, 12:43 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I'm not real sure what you mean by "full riding pants?"

I can wear just shorts to about 48-50F, but use tights - full length - when colder.
Ditto,

I also wear tights and rain pants when it's 25 to 40F.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 08-09-09, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I can tolerate cold legs, provided my feet are warm. I use neoprene over-boots for that. I will ride down to about 0F and a typical lower body outfit includes Chamois shorts, Mourino wool long johns, bib pants(no chamois) and rain pants.

Top, Long sleeve jersey, wind breaker vest, a long sleeve jacket, rain jacket.

Balaclava on the solar panel! Winter weight gloves on the hands, Pearl Izumi makes the warmest in my experience.

It takes 30 minutes to dress, 60 to ride, 30 to clean the bike, 30 warming up in the shower. Boy, do I look forward to every spring!
Old 08-09-09, 01:12 PM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Our winter club gear is a litely lined club tights.. Since it warms up by noon , we need nothing too heavy. I wear tights if it's below about 40 degrees when we take off. Above 40, leg warmers will suffice. One of the best buys I've ever made is my UnderArmour winter base layer. Most of the winter, I don't even need a heavy winter jacket as a result.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 08-09-09, 07:38 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
For me, the most important cool or cold weather clothing is a good pair of full-fingered gloves.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-09-09, 07:48 PM
Lance Legweak

Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
I have always used leg warmers, but just bought a pair of tights to put over the three pair of good shorts that all got "see-thru" at the same time, even though they are still comfy.
SEE THROUGH!!!??? From the bottom of my heart, thanks for the extra pants!!!

When we go'in riding? Went Woodland, to Davis, to Winters, and back to Woodland the other day. 40 miles total. Crazy weather we're having here, ain't it?
Old 08-09-09, 07:51 PM
Lance Legweak

Originally Posted by jdon
I can tolerate cold legs, provided my feet are warm. I use neoprene over-boots for that. I will ride down to about 0F and a typical lower body outfit includes Chamois shorts, Mourino wool long johns, bib pants(no chamois) and rain pants.

Top, Long sleeve jersey, wind breaker vest, a long sleeve jacket, rain jacket.

Balaclava on the solar panel! Winter weight gloves on the hands, Pearl Izumi makes the warmest in my experience.

It takes 30 minutes to dress, 60 to ride, 30 to clean the bike, 30 warming up in the shower. Boy, do I look forward to every spring!
You sound like the kid from "A Christmas story" who's mom put him in so much cold weather clothes that he couldn't put his arms down, and when he fell down he couldn't move enough to get back up!
Old 08-09-09, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
You sound like the kid from "A Christmas story" who's mom put him in so much cold weather clothes that he couldn't put his arms down, and when he fell down he couldn't move enough to get back up!
That's about how I feel putting it on but the layers are very thin and effective. Watch the wise cracks or I'll double dog dare you to lick a frozen sign post!
Old 08-09-09, 08:31 PM
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride down to about 25F. At that temperature I would normally wear a short sleeve wool jersey, arm and leg warmers, wool shorts or regular bibs, head cover that extends over the ears, Pearl Izumi AmFib Lobster Claw gloves, lycra tights (no insulation) and a Campagnolo jacket with some insulation.

The thing about arm and leg warmers is that they are very flexible in how you can use them. Long sleeves and insulated tights, on the other hand, are quite inflexible. I would rather have short sleeves, short pants and warmers warmers over long sleeves and insulated tights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.