Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   new bike search (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/571397-new-bike-search.html)

metropical 08-07-09 09:26 AM

new bike search

My 30 year old Fuji 12 needs more work then it's worth and of course, little can be updated or done to drop weight.

So I'm looking at Trek 7.5fx, but I road a Surly frame and that was stiff like my old steel.
I'm sure the Trek is a very nice bike and I may still end up there.

But if I were to go Surly and "build" it....
I'm just tooling for exercise and fun, perhaps 20 miles 3 to 5 days a week.
For transmission, should I be thinking Sram or is Shimano just fine for my use?
If Shimano (dunno the Sram line) Ultegra, 105, Tiagra or Deore?
I'd prolly start with the Surly fork and change to CF if I felt the need (excess vibration).
I want to keep this under $1500, $1000 would be better.

gcottay 08-07-09 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by metropical (Post 9438872)
My 30 year old Fuji 12 needs . . .

In just 20 years it will be 50+ eligible. Until then, it can keep your other bikes company.

Originally Posted by metropical (Post 9438872)
So I'm looking at Trek 7.5fx, but I road a Surly frame and that was stiff like my old steel.
I'm sure the Trek is a very nice bike and I may still end up there.

But if I were to go Surly and "build" it....
I'm just tooling for exercise and fun, perhaps 20 miles 3 to 5 days a week.

It sounds like you have already made up your mind.

Which bike would make you a happy rider for the great number of miles? Which bike would get you out riding more often?

cyclinfool 08-07-09 10:11 AM

I think you might be surprised just how much it will cost to do a build if you don't have a lot of the components on hand. Check out a bike build kit which basically includes everything but the frame & fork. These can run in excess of $1300 even with components like Shimano 105. The best deal is to get the whole bike from one of the big manufacturers like Trek. But look closely at ALL the components, some might be Chinese Shimano copies (My friends Trek has Shimano 105 drive components but everything else looked like Shimano but was a Chinese copy). 105 tends to be what most people recommend as the lowest range to consider. Personally any bike I spent the time/money to build has Campy Chorus - but that's just me...

BluesDawg 08-07-09 10:17 AM

Which Surly Frame are you considering? Pacer? Cross Check? LHT? Also look at the Soma frames.
SRAM Rival, Shimano Tiagra, 105 or Ultegra are all good component groups. It depends on what you like and how much you want to spend.

I'm in the process of re-rebuilding my Fuji S12. True, it won't be light, but I love the way it rides.

BluesDawg 08-07-09 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool (Post 9439241)
105 tends to be what most people recommend as the lowest range to consider...

I think Tiagra is very underrated and perfectly fine for a budget build. It is the sleeper group in Shimano's lineup that RX100 used to be.

leob1 08-07-09 11:53 AM

With a complete 'off the shelf bike' you pick it up and ride. Do upgrades whenever you want or need to, or not.
With a build you can customize the compoments any way you like, but it could be a few weeks to assemble the parts, and then build the bike befor you ride it.
I'd rather ride.

I have a FX7.5, I like it.

metropical 08-08-09 08:23 AM

I'm in the process of re-rebuilding my Fuji S12. True, it won't be light, but I love the way it rides.
That's what I have. I'd rebuild but I think I rather save 10 pounds. Any idea what the neked frame weighs? And are you able to find modern parts to retro the bike? I thought that frames were made so differently now, that it was difficult to use modern parts with a bike that old.
I stumbled on the Somas the other day.
Part of the plan with Surly was to buy American" made, but alas, apparently all frames are made in Taiwan or China with perhaps the exception of a couple of Italian frames.

stapfam 08-08-09 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by leob1 (Post 9440034)
With a complete 'off the shelf bike' you pick it up and ride. Do upgrades whenever you want or need to, or not.
With a build you can customize the compoments any way you like, but it could be a few weeks to assemble the parts, and then build the bike befor you ride it.
I'd rather ride.

I have a FX7.5, I like it.

First road bike I got was an off the shelf stock bike. Wasn't long before I started on the upgrade route- but only on parts that would be transferable to a new bike - when I got one. That came about a year later and it was a custom build on a frame and forks. I know which bike I prefer to ride.

The heart of any bike is the frame- And I went the route of getting a good one. The build on it was roughly what I wanted and to date- the only part I have had to change was the saddle- and that came off another bike.

I had the chance to sort the parts on the new frame with the help of my LBS and have to admit that they did talk me into a few parts that were a bit on the pricey side.

But I would rather ride a bike that I want to ride- rather than one that is not quite right. Boreas and the next one in the TCR are right. The first bike wasn't.

metropical 08-10-09 09:57 AM

got a bud selling his year old 400 miled 56cm Caad 9-5 for $800. He's 5'11". I'm 6'1"
I'm sure in ex shape and well cared for.
I'd be insane not to buy it right?

cyclinfool 08-10-09 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 9445412)
The heart of any bike is the frame.

+1

And it does not have to be a new frame, just a good frame. My favorite bike is built on a Simoncini luged steel frame - bought it used for $150. All Columbus SLX tubing although the paint is getting pretty worn now - it still rides like a dream. Put my second drive train on it last summer, brand new Campy carbon compact Chorus 10spd after running the first set for about 14yrs - that should tell you how much I value the bones on that old bike.

stapfam 08-10-09 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool (Post 9455954)
+1

And it does not have to be a new frame, just a good frame. My favorite bike is built on a Simoncini luged steel frame - bought it used for $150. All Columbus SLX tubing although the paint is getting pretty worn now - it still rides like a dream. Put my second drive train on it last summer, brand new Campy carbon compact Chorus 10spd after running the first set for about 14yrs - that should tell you how much I value the bones on that old bike.

I did not put my original statement quite correct- but There are bikes out there with excellent frames. It's just that some of the parts fitted to them are not quite suitable/ Good enough or required for me to want the whole bike.

Some models of bikes use the same frame-and just change the components. Can't afford the $2,000 XYZ-1- Buy the XYZ-4 at half the price and upgrade as parts wear out. I know it cost's more doing it this way but it is affordable at the beginning. And in two years time you will have a top of the range model that has everything on it that you want.

Skullo 08-10-09 07:41 PM

Why not say with what got you here? Look at new Fugis. I have a 105 equipped Fugi Roubaix Pro. A 2003 with a steel frame and carbon fork. The new ones are aluminum with carbon stays and fork. You will be pleasantly suprised with the bank for your buck with a Fugi.

semsd 08-11-09 05:45 PM

Yep the Fuji's are nice, I like the CCR's, good prices at Performance (in the store) Good luck :-)