Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you looked at the price of tires lately?

Gee whiz.

I thought I already had the tires I needed for my new wheels........I was simply going to move some tires over from another set of wheels.......pulled the wheels out of the wheel bag to remove the tires and the rear wheel was missing a tire!! Oh well-that just put riding the new wheels on hold.

I go online and was thinking I could do my usual search on eBay and pick up a pair for a reasonable price. Not only is there a very limited supply, the prices are way up there. Plus it seems the color I'm looking for is even harder to come by. You can get white pretty easily............go figure!!

We have to work on the strength of our currency. I think most of my bike parts are imported and this cycling hobby is gettin' more expensive to just maintain!!

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking at Nashbar on Friday - the tires I use are on a deep discount, can get them for $10 less than I usually do on sale. Maybe you need to switch brands.

Also noted this morning the bike sales have started (a little early this year). The prices are getting slashed pretty good around here - some as much as 40% off list for the more specialized bike types (like single speeds & tri-bikes).

My read is that in about 30 days you will see some really great deals and in 45 you will see some fire sales. I'm patiently waiting to get a new saddle and bars for my Tarmac...
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Gee whiz.

We have to work on the strength of our currency. I think most of my bike parts are imported and this cycling hobby is gettin' more expensive to just maintain!!

Instead of working on your currency- work on ours.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.ph...chelin%20Tyres

But these do seem more expensive than a few months ago
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good price for Michelin 3 Pro Race $37.95 US dollars.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BikeTiresDirect.com usually has good prices and a good selection.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Also noted this morning the bike sales have started (a little early this year). The prices are getting slashed pretty good around here - some as much as 40% off list for the more specialized bike types (like single speeds & tri-bikes).

My read is that in about 30 days you will see some really great deals and in 45 you will see some fire sales. I'm patiently waiting to get a new saddle and bars for my Tarmac...

Agreed-I visited with the dealer whom I purchased my last bike from and was amazed at how prices were dropping.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just been complaining about this myself. I got my last pair of Conti GP4000's for $42. Now, I couldn't find them for less than $56! Finally, found them for $50 at Excel Sports Boulder on line. They got them to me VERY quickly. I meant to get 25's, but must have missed a button and got 23's again, but it will be OK.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last time I bought tires from PBK the Dollar to Pound conversion was near 1.3, now it is closer to 1.65. I expect tires will cost more this next time I order. I will need some tires soon though.

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about the cost of car/truck tires? They've gone up substantially too since the last time I needed a set.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    The last time I bought tires from PBK the Dollar to Pound conversion was near 1.3, now it is closer to 1.65. I expect tires will cost more this next time I order. I will need some tires soon though.

I checked PBK and conversion looks to be around 1.7+ now..........I'm having problems finding the tires in the color I wanted too......I've got wheels but no tires!!

Will check excel in Boulder!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked PBK and conversion looks to be around 1.7+ now..........I'm having problems finding the tires in the color I wanted too......I've got wheels but no tires!!

Will check excel in Boulder!
    More importantly it is what your cc company converts Pound Sterling to USD. Some cards may also add an additional charge to do that as well.

Rubber in general went up in price when oil reached $150 a barrel last year. I guess those companies chose not to drop prices as oil fell to less than half this year. People got used to higher prices when oil shot up and now those companies are holding onto those margins to bring in revenue while demand for their products dropped in the recession. Usually what happens, as mentioned above, they get stuck with a lot of inventory and have to blow it out at the end of the season. Unless, they cut production and workforce thus limiting product to try to keep margins high while lowering costs (layoffs, etc) to maintain some profit in the end. I'm hoping for the blowout sale scenario.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been waiting for the Continental 4000S to go on sale. I've been watching for 2 months now, with no luck. If they go up anymore, they will cost more than car tires.
    George

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a little lucky today. I realized I had a set of almost new Vredestein SE's on another set of wheels I wasn't using because of cracks in the rims-and they were the right color. I moved those tires over to a set of Hed Alps wheels I use on the TT bike. The Vredesteins are pretty heavy but are smooth riding and very durable. The weight is not a big concern with the HED wheels and in fact will probably just aide in training on the TT bike so that will work.

I then took the fairly new Conti 4000's off the HED wheels and put them on the new Fulcrum Racing Zero's that will go on the Prince. Those are pretty sharp looking with the wide Red Al Aero Spokes and now red tires. I chose the black rims instead of the red rims as it was just getting to be too much red. I think it will make a nice look on the Prince with the Red/Black combo.

Now all I need is a Campy lockring socket so I can move the Super Record Cassette from the Easton's to the Fulcrums and see how they ride. I'll get some pictures up afterwards. If they ride as good as they look there will be much, much more grinning.

Now if my new HED wheels would just get here I could do a little riding in the mountains.
    Last edited by jppe; 08-09-09 at 04:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup

My all around favorite road tire has been the Conti Grand Prix 4 Season. I get great mileage out of them and they are about the most flat resistant tire I've ever used.

I purchased 4 tires 2 years ago from Bike Tires Direct @ $35 ea., when they were listing at $45. They are now $65, though can be found @ $45. The Rivendell Ruffy Tuffy is a close second for durability and are relatively cheap at $45, but your frame needs room for a 28mmm tire.

Steve B.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a little lucky today. I realized I had a set of almost new Vredestein SE's on another set of wheels I wasn't using because of cracks in the rims-and they were the right color. I moved those tires over to a set of Hed Alps wheels I use on the TT bike. The Vredesteins are pretty heavy but are smooth riding and very durable. The weight is not a big concern with the HED wheels and in fact will probably just aide in training on the TT bike so that will work.

I then took the fairly new Conti 4000's off the HED wheels and put them on the new Fulcrum Racing Zero's that will go on the Prince. Those are pretty sharp looking with the wide Red Al Aero Spokes and now red tires. I chose the black rims instead of the red rims as it was just getting to be too much red. I think it will make a nice look on the Prince with the Red/Black combo.

Now all I need is a Campy lockring socket so I can move the Super Record Cassette from the Easton's to the Fulcrums and see how they ride. I'll get some pictures up afterwards. If they ride as good as they look there will be much, much more grinning.
    I didn't know you were that much of a fashionisto. Maybe that's why I'm so slow. If only I had more fashion sense.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a little lucky today. I realized I had a set of almost new Vredestein SE's on another set of wheels I wasn't using because of cracks in the rims-and they were the right color. Those are pretty sharp looking with the wide Red Al Aero Spokes and now red tires. I chose the black rims instead of the red rims as it was just getting to be too much red. I think it will make a nice look on the Prince with the Red/Black combo.
    This is a little too fashion conscious for me.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now if my new HED wheels would just get here I could do a little riding in the mountains.
    Uh oh... do I see a set of those Ardennes wheels we talked about at dinner before BS&G in your future?

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fashon is important..........red tires............white bikes.............

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Motorcycle tires are in the same boat - I'm used to getting set for 230, delivered. The cheapest I could find were 305. Bummer, and I go thru a set every year.....

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed too.
    And don't get me started on chains and cassettes, which also seem to have jumped more than is reasonable.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a little lucky today. I realized I had a set of almost new Vredestein SE's...and they were the right color...
    Whew. That was a close one.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Fashon is important..........red tires............white bikes.............
    Hate to say it but I have a problem- I am not fashion conscious. I bought a pair of RED Michelin PR2's 2 1/2 years ago. Initially to go with my OCR3 but they are a bit bright and didn't really go with the Highlights on the bike. But They were on the "NEW" wheels I had just bought and the tyres and wheels work. They Are a fantastic tyre for grip and wear is fantastic. The front still has the Mold marks on it and the rear has only an inkling of flat area.

I can't wear them out- but I am thinking about only taking them out in the dark. They clash with every bike I have got.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PAlt View Post
    Uh oh... do I see a set of those Ardennes wheels we talked about at dinner before BS&G in your future?
    They've been ordered and I had hoped would already be here. More to come!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you could have purchased these: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...-r-tyres-21793

Quit complaining. And yes I am in the camp that thinks tire prices have gone thru the roof.

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fellow told me today, fwiw and I haven't checked it's validity, that it takes an entire barrel of oil to make the big truck tires. Oil was what, 150 a barrel last year? Probably something you all probably already knew.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast