User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 820 Hardtail, Norco Storm Hardtail, KHS 004 Full Sus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stressed out drivers

Has anyone else noticed that drivers seem to be a little more stressed out these days.
    Probably because of the economy amongst other things.
    I have had certain drivers actually go out of their way to push me off the road and onto the shoulder.
    Some people just fly by with inches to spare.
    I usually ride 8 miles gravel road and another 8 miles trail each way because I need the gravel road to get to the trail.
    I have all but given up on road riding because it seems to becoming more and more dangerous.
    In these times I think that a really good make work project would be to create more bike paths or widen road shoulders.
    Just an idea.
    What do you think?

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do favor widening the shoulders of narrow roads. I also favor reducing speed limits and installing various traffic calming measures. I also support super-vigorous enforcement and prosecution for driving while texting or yakking on the cell phone or for "brushbacks" and other intimidations of bicyclists. I worry a bit more about distracted or inattentive motorists than about the aggressive ones, but they are a problem.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit different over here- Most drivers do respect cyclists and I do realise it only takes one to cause a problem. Think the reason is that a lot of drivers are now cyclists as a hobby (HealthKick?) or know someone that is a cyclist. On top of that most kids over here ride bikes and as a parent you realise the dangers your kids can get into.

But saying it only takes one bad driver to cause a problem- It only takes one bad cyclist to tick off hundreds of drivers.- It works both ways.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't buy the economy argument. Courtesy doesn't cost anything! I think people are just self centered and anything that might take them out of their routine causes stress. Are we that fragile?

Today, on our descent off the mountain, we were riding in a tight group of 3 near the 45mph speed limit. The car and 2 motorcycles behind us were distraught. Would they have felt the same if they were behind a car doing 40-45 in a 45mph limit? I doubt that. The car passed us illegally across the double yellow and the motorcycles passed us in the lane but inches away from us. Would they like it if a car passed them in the lane that close? Of course they had to rev their straight pipe exhausts too as they went by. Get a grip!

I wish my ranger friend was at the office when we rode by a few seconds later. I bet she would have invited them to a prayer meeting. LOL.

Magnum Propulsion
    My Bikes
    Trek 6700 MTB, Ironhorse Cyclone Road, Gary Fisher Tasajara MTB - bent and retired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't noticed any change in the drivers' attitudes where I ride. Actually, I've been riding these roads off and on for the last 5 years or so, and the only driver problems I've had were a couple of trucks honking their horns as they passed me. The only reason I can see they'd do that would be to see me jump. I guess there have been a few cars pass me a little too close for comfort, but I've never really experienced what I consider a really hostile driver. Maybe I'm just lucky so far.

Good idea about making roads more bike friendly and putting in more trails and paths.

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stressed? Maybe. Distracted? Definitely. I am amazed at how many drivers I see with cell phone attached to ear. Well over 50% in my estimation.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not noticed any increase in problems with drivers on the roads I ride.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drivers the same in by riding back yard. Seems to be less road kill and the manure smell is down.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007