Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   This isn't good. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/572099-isnt-good.html)

Retro Grouch 08-09-09 01:21 PM

This isn't good.

I took my grandson for a ride today. Wiped out and broke both of my elbows. Typing this is pretty much the limit of what I can do. I can't turn a doorknob. I couldn,t even take off my own socks. Doctor says 4 to 6 weeks, should'nt hurt so bad after about a week. Grandson is OK. Guess I'll have plenty of time for BF.

stapfam 08-09-09 01:26 PM

Bl**dy H%ll.

Need more details- was there any blood- did you cry-and how much pain are you in now.:eek::eek:

That is the sort of reply I would normally give- but this sounds a bit more serious than a scrape and a bruise.

I am truly sorry to hear of your misfortune.

BikeWNC 08-09-09 01:30 PM

Dang, sorry to hear about that! Did you break the radial head when you say elbow? I assume they are a non-displaced fractures that will not require surgery? My daughter broke her elbow (radial head) last Fall and it kept her out of gymnastics for 10 weeks. Heal well and do the rehab when you're able.

Willbrewer 08-09-09 01:40 PM

Ouch! That sucks. Was the grandson involved in the crash too, or did he just see it happen?

Hope you heal quickly. Maybe a little extra calcium supplement would help?

Nerdanel 08-09-09 01:45 PM

That seriously sucks! I hope you heal well and quickly!

Retro Grouch 08-09-09 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Willbrewer (Post 9450688)
Ouch! That sucks. Was the grandson involved in the crash too, or did he just see it happen?

Hope you heal quickly. Maybe a little extra calcium supplement would help?

Actually, the grandson wasn't riding such a straight line ant I wiped out trying to avoid him. And,yes, it's the radial heads on both elbows. Lifting a trivial amount of weight or trying to rotate either wrist really hurts. I got a milkshake for lunch. I'm not sure how feeding myself is going to go. I'd be looking forward to telling the people at work that I'm going to be out for awhile, but I can't hold the telephone up to my face, so my wife will have to do it.

Niked 08-09-09 01:53 PM

So sorry to hear about your accident. May the pain ease quickly.

JanMM 08-09-09 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 9450652)
Bl**dy H%ll.

+1
You've had better days. And will again.

For the week that it hurts a lot, increase your fluid and fiber intake if you are taking strong pain pills.

jdon 08-09-09 01:59 PM

Ouch! Sorry to hear. Get well soon.

stapfam 08-09-09 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 9450746)
I'd be looking forward to telling the people at work that I'm going to be out for awhile, but I can't hold the telephone up to my face, so my wife will have to do it.

I have a work colleague like you. Seems to take a lot of time off with various illnesses and he is the only one on the company to have had Swine Flu. (Wonder if he will have it twice?) He always gets his wife to phone in sick so we now insist on a doctors note to say he is ill.

So send them an E-Mail with pics or a Video call to prove you have a problem. Don't want you to get a reputation for pulling sickies whenever you want to:innocent:

Yen 08-09-09 02:07 PM

Oh my word! A shiver went up my spine when I saw "grandson" and "wiped out". :eek: I'm glad the outcome wasn't much worse --- hope you recover completely and quickly.

kr32 08-09-09 02:10 PM

That is a huge bummer! Ouch!
I really hope you heal well and can be back on a bike soon.

bab2000 08-09-09 02:17 PM

What a bummer. That is a humbling experience. At least with intentions of the most noble grandparent.

I was just thinking about taking my 8 yo grandson for ride on nearby (to his home) greenway trail along the river.

For you, I will bend an elbow a few times as I lift a cold one in a toast in your honor!:beer:

kjc9640 08-09-09 02:18 PM

Retro G...
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, I hope you heal well with no after effects. Good luck.

I don't suppose you got any pictures that you would be willing to share....well maybe not a good question to ask.:rolleyes::)

tntyz 08-09-09 02:19 PM

Wow, what a disaster. Heal fast and whole.

DnvrFox 08-09-09 02:21 PM

Ouch. That is terrible news.

Keep in mind they do have head phones, speaker phones, etc. My son uses them and types 40 words per minute with a mouth stick.

alicestrong 08-09-09 02:32 PM

Oh, so sorry to hear this...healing thoughts your way.

Allegheny Jet 08-09-09 03:13 PM

Best of luck in a speedy recovery. I'm hurting thinking about what you will endure over the next few weeks.

kenkayak 08-09-09 03:17 PM

more details /hows the grandone? and how in the world did you do it!/Kenneth

doghouse 08-09-09 03:44 PM

First, how's your bike!?

Second, although your probably cannot move your elbows yet, ask about the Dr. about moving your shoulders about. When I broke my elbow I was encouraged to do that to keep my shoulder from "freezing" up.

Get well soon.

Mojo Slim 08-09-09 03:54 PM

I hate hearing about accidents on a bike. Follow your doctor's orders and heal quickly. Keep us posted.

George 08-09-09 03:59 PM

Heal up fast, but I think that's a pretty bad place for a break. Not to discourage you, but I broke my wrist once and I still have bone chips floating around in there. Anyhow good luck.

making 08-09-09 04:06 PM

dang, hate to hear that. I hate to try to add a little levity, but my son broke both his wrist and could not potty by himself. Guess it could be worse.

Solomander 08-09-09 04:18 PM

Sorry to hear about your injury. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Joel

cyclinfool 08-09-09 05:18 PM

Holy Cr&p - I almost passed up this post!
Elbow fractures can be really dangerous - more so than people think because of the way the nerves and arteries route down arm. I am glad you are OK and must only endure the 6 week bone heal time.

Must have been a wicked fall. Please heal soon.