Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Sram xx

  1. #1
    Climbing Above It All BikeWNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Basking in the Sun.
    Posts
    4,146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sram xx

    Has anyone heard when this group will be available? I'm thinking of switching one of my bikes to SRAM Red with the XX RD and cassette to offer lower gearing for steep long rides. I used to have a bike with a triple for that use but got tired of the cranky shifting. I don't think I'd want to go back in that direction so the Red/XX combo looks attractive. Bottom line for me is I have done all the rides in a standard 39/27 combo but I'm just as fast on easier gearing and suffer less pain that way. I just need the stuff (XX) to make it happen.

  2. #2
    just keep riding BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Posts
    12,713
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure the XX RD will be compatible with the road shifters? I seem to recall reading that they won't be.
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 08-10-09 at 12:48 PM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

  3. #3
    www.ocrebels.com Rick@OCRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Posts
    5,220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you know, OE gets it first for spec on 2010 bikes, so I doubt we'll see the individual parts for sale before Nov. at the earliest. That's my best guess, but I could be wrong!

    I have SRAM Force with a compact 50 x 34 front and a 12-28 rear which seems to work well for me. I'm sure the SRAM Red is better, it just wasn't available when I built up my bike.

    Rick / OCRR

  4. #4
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The XX derailers will be compatible with Rival/Force/Red shifters. I've heard October from my shop...

  5. #5
    Climbing Above It All BikeWNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Basking in the Sun.
    Posts
    4,146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds good guys, about what I thought. I currently have a 34/28 setup and while that is usually more than sufficient on my rides there are a few events that I wish for a bit more spin. It's not a make or break thing, it just saves the legs for later in the ride. Here in the East the grades can get steep at times. I can get over anything with what I have now but it can take a lot out of the legs doing it over a longer distance. But I agree Rick, 34/28 is fine for 99% of my rides. A ride like the Everest Challenge might fit into the other 1% though.

  6. #6
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,042
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How will the xx derailleurs be different from the x.0 derailleurs that mountain bikers use? Will they use the same 1:1 pull ratio?

    BTW, my bikes are all triples. There's no reason why a triple can't shift as well as a double. Mine do.

  7. #7
    Climbing Above It All BikeWNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Basking in the Sun.
    Posts
    4,146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    How will the xx derailleurs be different from the x.0 derailleurs that mountain bikers use? Will they use the same 1:1 pull ratio?

    BTW, my bikes are all triples. There's no reason why a triple can't shift as well as a double. Mine do.
    I had Dura Ace 7703 9 speed triple and Ultegra 6503 9 speed triple and while the front shifted ok they never shifted as well as my DA doubles. It's just not as quick or precise, to me anyway.

    The XX der. will be 10 speed and have the same 1:1 pull ratio as the X.0 9 speed der. The XX rear gives me the option to go to a mega cassette for specific events and still have 10 speed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •