Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Sram xx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sram xx

Has anyone heard when this group will be available? I'm thinking of switching one of my bikes to SRAM Red with the XX RD and cassette to offer lower gearing for steep long rides. I used to have a bike with a triple for that use but got tired of the cranky shifting. I don't think I'd want to go back in that direction so the Red/XX combo looks attractive. Bottom line for me is I have done all the rides in a standard 39/27 combo but I'm just as fast on easier gearing and suffer less pain that way. I just need the stuff (XX) to make it happen.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure the XX RD will be compatible with the road shifters? I seem to recall reading that they won't be.
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 08-10-09 at 12:48 PM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you know, OE gets it first for spec on 2010 bikes, so I doubt we'll see the individual parts for sale before Nov. at the earliest. That's my best guess, but I could be wrong!

I have SRAM Force with a compact 50 x 34 front and a 12-28 rear which seems to work well for me. I'm sure the SRAM Red is better, it just wasn't available when I built up my bike.

Rick / OCRR

umd
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The XX derailers will be compatible with Rival/Force/Red shifters. I've heard October from my shop...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds good guys, about what I thought. I currently have a 34/28 setup and while that is usually more than sufficient on my rides there are a few events that I wish for a bit more spin. It's not a make or break thing, it just saves the legs for later in the ride. Here in the East the grades can get steep at times. I can get over anything with what I have now but it can take a lot out of the legs doing it over a longer distance. But I agree Rick, 34/28 is fine for 99% of my rides. A ride like the Everest Challenge might fit into the other 1% though.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How will the xx derailleurs be different from the x.0 derailleurs that mountain bikers use? Will they use the same 1:1 pull ratio?

BTW, my bikes are all triples. There's no reason why a triple can't shift as well as a double. Mine do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    How will the xx derailleurs be different from the x.0 derailleurs that mountain bikers use? Will they use the same 1:1 pull ratio?

BTW, my bikes are all triples. There's no reason why a triple can't shift as well as a double. Mine do.
    I had Dura Ace 7703 9 speed triple and Ultegra 6503 9 speed triple and while the front shifted ok they never shifted as well as my DA doubles. It's just not as quick or precise, to me anyway.

The XX der. will be 10 speed and have the same 1:1 pull ratio as the X.0 9 speed der. The XX rear gives me the option to go to a mega cassette for specific events and still have 10 speed.