User Tag List

My Bikes
    06 Fuji Team RC, 03 K2 Team ZED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 6th Birthday Century

I took up this great sport 2 years after my bypass surgery which was 9 years ago on Aug 18th. Since that time I have worked on improving my health thru riding ability and equipment. Last year I logged just over 4,000 miles.
    Now to celebrate my birthday every year, I ride a century - today was the 6th in a row. I left my house at 4:30 AM (with headlights & taillights) with a riding buddy of mine that just happened to have the same birthday (only he is much younger.....2 years). We live in the Norhthern suburbs and rode into Dallas to Whiterock Lake Park. It is a great place to ride with smooth roads, restrooms and shade to take breaks. My wife came down in the car with food and drink for us so we managed to refuel every couple of laps.
    The wind was up and slowed us down considerably - also my thermometer registered 101 degrees. I thought I was going to run out of gas at about 75 miles but my buddy let me draft on him and we ended up with a tailwind coming back to the barn.
    We totaled 102.1 miles, 6:57 saddle time and just under 8 hours from start to finish.
    All in all, it was a great ride and I'm kinda proud to be finally eligidable for medicare and still be able to ride a century.
    Hope I can keep it up for a few more years - although I'm hearing "On Your Left" a lot more than I used to.

My Bikes
    Scott CR1 Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, i'm impressed!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bypass 10 years ago in August 1999- but I am not as Business like as you. I normally do at least one Century a year but not around the anniversary- but I have been riding since 1990 and only started the century rides in 93.

I reckon that one Century a year used to be enough as the training for it used to finish me. But since going road 3 years ago- I have found the training easier. BUT this year milage has been down and a lot less riding- Might give it a miss this year.

A Bypass is not a reason to cut back on riding but age is just beginning to creep up on me now.

But thanks to you showing what can be done- I might have to get back into training again
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!

When I got my first "serious" road bike in 1980 I was living in Dallas and I used to ride around White Rock Lake several times a week.

The heat and wind practically killed me riding in Dallas - getting in 100 miles at 101 degrees is a long day.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! congrats

My Bikes
    Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jaws - thanks - you have inspired me - I go on Medicare in a couple of months too - I have not had the heart issues - there is no reason I cannot do it too - I will have to do a Century by the end of October.

Seriously - thanks