Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet another should I buy? 2010 trek Madone 5.1

I've asked a couple of questions on the 50+ forum and narrowing my model choices over the past few weeks....

I want to add a road bike, since I'm riding street 150 miles a week on my squishy. I average 15-16 mph for distances 20-30 miles on hilly roads on my 30 lb bike. I'm 55, 6' 3", 202 lbs & fit. I want to go faster and longer (on the bike).

LBS has shown me a Madone 5.1 compact, which is higher priced than I had planned to go, but I could swing it and I like it. LBS knows I like nice stuff.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...done/madone51/

Is this just stupid overkill?

What kind of discount should I expect to negotiate on a 2010? msrp is $3459.
    Last edited by BCAC; 08-11-09 at 07:46 PM.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except to say that I've read posts from other Madone owners who love their bikes, I can't say much about the bike itself. Discount on an '10, that's tough. I've known of shops that offer 10% on current year Treks. The big discounts would be on '08 and '09 models, if you can find one in your size. Not uncommon to get 30% off, sometimes even approaching 50%.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to agree with Tom the Bomb - 010's are not likely to fetch much discount, look for an '09, you may ask the store to check the distributor. The one guy I have ridden with a few times this summer like his madone, we rode together for 80 mile last Saturday.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can afford it, go for it. You'll be amazed at the difference.

And no, it isn't overkill.
    Specialized Ruby Expert; Salsa Casseroll, Rivendell Betty Foy; Xtracycle

jwh
    My Bikes
    Trek Fuel EX8, Miyata 914,Trek Madone 5.2, Kona Jake The Snake
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a 5.2 Madone 3 weeks ago. I really like it.
    It is the nicest bike I've ever ridden.

My Bikes
    Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    If you can afford it, go for it. You'll be amazed at the difference.

And no, it isn't overkill.
    Buy it and don't look back, you will be amazed.
    "It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up after a night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done for someone you love". Blazeman, Warrior Poet

11 Giant Talon 1, 10 Masi 3VC, 08 Long Haul Trucker, 08 Felt Curbside, 99 Specialized Allez

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 4.5 that I love! Not much to compare to, though, since it is my first road bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Independent Fabrication Ti Crown Jewel I'd sell you for much less than the Trek. PM if you're interested.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if the Madone is the one you should buy or not, but no, it isn't stupid overkill if you can afford it. You are a good enough rider to enjoy a good road bike.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    I don't know if the Madone is the one you should buy or not, but no, it isn't stupid overkill if you can afford it. You are a good enough rider to enjoy a good road bike.
    bingo. that's exactly what I was thinking. now I just have to find the $$$...

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have last year's 5.2 and I absolutely love it. Trek seems to have discontinued the 5.2 this year and is going only with the 5.1 in that series. A quick glance at the specs indicates that the only difference is that the 5.1 has Ultegra components and the 5.2 has Ultegra SL And this year the bike seems to be offered only in one "fit", whereas last year the 5 series bikes came in Pro fit and Performance fit. The only difference is that the Performance fit has a slightly taller head tube.
    The bike is light, stiff and comfortable and tracks like a rollercoaster on downhills. I would highly recommend it.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I owned a 2006 Madone 5.2 with the Ultegra gruppo, triple crankset, 12/27 cassette and race lite wheels. I liked it a lot and it was a smooth ride and nice handling. I purchased the 2006 versus the 2007 and chose the 5.2 over the 5.5. Both decisions, I regretted later. The 5.5 had D/A and better wheels. I ended up puchasing better wheels and in the end spent more money. On a $$/gm basis, D/A is a better deal. However, its resale value was very good. I sold it on Ebay and I was very pleased with the transaction.

The 5.1 pictured in the link is shown with a compact double and a 12/25 cassette. I would recommend a 12/27 cassette. The reason is for the 34/24 gear. That is a great climbing combination since it allows one to spin a little faster than the 34/23 which is available on the 12/25. And you have the 34/27 as a bailout gear. The LBS should provide you whatever option you want.

As far as overkill is concerned, less fit cyclists get the most benefit from better cycling equipment. This is because even though the contribution of the equipment is small performance gains, it is a greater percentage of the less fit cyclist's power. Very fit cyclist's power overwhelms the benefit of better equipment. However, in racing, perfect equipment is required since everyone is very fit and wining and losing is decided by seconds and inches so equipment makes a differnce in another way.

IMHO, the idea that you have to be fit enough or good enough to own nice equipment is real BS. Buy what you want and can afford. Riding a very nice bicycle is one of the pleasures of life.

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    I owned a 2006 Madone 5.2 with the Ultegra gruppo, triple crankset, 12/27 cassette and race lite wheels. I liked it a lot and it was a smooth ride and nice handling. I purchased the 2006 versus the 2007 and chose the 5.2 over the 5.5. Both decisions, I regretted later. The 5.5 had D/A and better wheels. I ended up puchasing better wheels and in the end spent more money. On a $$/gm basis, D/A is a better deal. However, its resale value was very good. I sold it on Ebay and I was very pleased with the transaction.

The 5.1 pictured in the link is shown with a compact double and a 12/25 cassette. I would recommend a 12/27 cassette. The reason is for the 34/24 gear. That is a great climbing combination since it allows one to spin a little faster than the 34/23 which is available on the 12/25. And you have the 34/27 as a bailout gear. The LBS should provide you whatever option you want.

As far as overkill is concerned, less fit cyclists get the most benefit from better cycling equipment. This is because even though the contribution of the equipment is small performance gains, it is a greater percentage of the less fit cyclist's power. Very fit cyclist's power overwhelms the benefit of better equipment. However, in racing, perfect equipment is required since everyone is very fit and wining and losing is decided by seconds and inches so equipment makes a differnce in another way.

IMHO, the idea that you have to be fit enough or good enough to own nice equipment is real BS.
    Buy what you want and can afford. Riding a very nice bicycle is one of the pleasures of life.
    Bingo!

[/thread]

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The quality of the bike is not in doubt and it will improve your road riding.

Only question I would ask is if it is the right bike for you? I don't know and you won't till you get out and ride one. But before you do- get a couple of test rides on a few other comparable bikes. It is surprising how comparing various bikes against each other does show one up as the one that Screams "BUY ME" That may be the Madone or it might be another bike.

And hate to say it- but unless there is a Major change of spec or manufacture of the latest 2010 bike- You could save a lot of $$$'s buy getting an 09 in the sales that will be starting shortly.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Madone 5.0 WSD a couple years ago and I LOVE the bike

Go for it!
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Madone's are great bikes but as others have suggested, you should be able to save hundreds by finding a 2009 model. The wheels on the 5.1 are ok......but there are much better out there. I would recommend XLites over the Race wheels. That would be an area where I would use the dollars saved for a 2009 model and get a lighter set of wheels. Of course you will not know the difference unless you've ridden wheels that were 300 grams heavier to start with........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The superficial difference between Shimano 105- and Ultegra-level gear is fairly subtle. Out of the box their performance is really not that much different in a practical sense.

The only way to really know what the difference is, is to ask people who deal with large numbers of bikes and riders. When I ask such people I trust, they opine that Ultegra-level (and Dura Ace) will perform better for longer periods of time. They will give less problems over a longer lifetime. They last longer because they are made to higher tolerance with superior materials.

Of course, I can't possibly know if they are right or not. But I do appreciate industrial art.

Get the 5.1 if you want it and can afford it.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I think you notice a sizeable difference going from a 30 lb bike to a madone. But you would probably notice a similar improvement with a slightly less costly bike. I have known people who have gotten better bikes to improve their speed but most of those have been from 105 to Dura Ace or something like that. I think the Madone will accelerate and corner much better than your current ride and should just feel better. It should give you a bump. And what are you waiting for? We are all on the downward slope and our active years have a limit. Getting a good bike now and enjoying it while you can makes a bunch of sense.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a no-brainer. It's a white bike. Go for it.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love mine.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The post by Hermes says it very well.
    My 2006 Madone 5.2 is terrific but the Dura Ace shifts better. More crisp. I needed a triple crank to do the AZ mountains. Standing on the lowest gear just barely made it.
    I am 195# and 6'1", 34 waist.
    Handling, Cornering, Acceleration are superb as compared to my Aluminum Cannondale Road Bike.
    Madone is a wonderful bike. I bought a close out model for $2,200 plus tax. I would do that again. Not sure if I would be able to justify full price for benefit received.
    ---------------------
    BTW, I love my Madone but I use my Trek 7700 with 32 mm tires more often because the pavements in this area are so bad that the pounding gets to my wrists, hands and shoulder.
    A 23 mm high pressure tire is harsh and the Madone accepts maximum 25 mm.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP:
    To elaborate a bit on my previous post, I feel confident that your desire for "faster and longer" would be facilitated by a Madone or similar bike. However, the point is well taken that you might get similar increment of performance change with a less expensive alternative.

But my affirmative response to the Madone purchase was not so much based on it's impact on your performance. Though there would surely be some performance benefit, I'm guessing that you will enjoy your rides a lot more riding a good machine. From the language you used, I'm also guessing you would enjoy a Madone (or similar) more than someone who rides a couple of hours a week at 12 mph.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    OP:
    To elaborate a bit on my previous post, I feel confident that your desire for "faster and longer" would be facilitated by a Madone or similar bike. However, the point is well taken that you might get similar increment of performance change with a less expensive alternative.

I only went road 3 years ago after 15 years of MTB's. Not certain as to whether I was going to like road riding so I went cheap on the first bike. Not Cr*p cheap- a Giant OCR3. Once I got used to the new ride position- and got a few changes on the Bike- I realised I should have bought better.

So I did- but n+1 is nice. I now have 2 excellent bikes- a good one and a loaner for new riders.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really appreciate all the replies.

I rode the 2010 5.1 for a 1/2 hour or so and really liked it. It's a 58 and apparently I need a 60, which they can get this week.

They could also get in this week a 2009 5.2 for $500 less.

Decisions, decisions. I'm going to order Monday...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checking on the spec- it has a choice of Crankset. A compact or a triple. You say you live in a hilly area- but how hilly and how strong a rider are you? First road bike had a triple fitted as that was what I had on the MTB's and mentally that was what I wanted. Second had a compact and that was no more difficult on our 10 to 15% slopes compared to the triple. Mind you- I have put a triple on one bike for the mountains.

Spike Milligan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast