Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoohoo! Got youngest son out on a ride.

Haven't been posting or even cruising the forum much the past two weeks. Work has been 65 to 70 hours a week and then domestic stuff stole all the other time (except for riding time... that I don't give up easily). In any event for the first time ever I got my younger son (a senior in college) to go on a road ride with me. Several years ago, as part of his rebellious period, he made the comment that cycling was stupid and he wasn't going to do it. I let it pass, as painful as it was. And he, being stubborn like his father, held onto that stance for years. But yesterday while home for the summer and having a day off of work he says, "I'm bored." I replied, "Well, you can come on a ride with me if you want." Much to my surprise he said, "OK." Well, we got a bike set up for him and he was able to to 13.5 miles with me... more than he's ever ridden before. My older son rides with me frequently, but this...wow, it's just too much. Maybe if I play my cards right I can have both of them riding with me at the same time. I'm in 7th heaven.

As a side note, he later called his older brother to tell him about the ride. According to his older brother he really enjoyed it, except for having a "sore arse" toward the end. He went on to say that he understands better about why I like to ride so much. His words: "It's better than hiking because you get to see more, but not so fast that you can't see anything. It kind of makes you forget about everything except what you're doing at the moment." I think it gets it!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know exactly how you are feeling today. Last summer I had the pleasure of riding with both my son's on group and training rides. Both our boy's were HS athletes in multiple sports and both were Division I swimmers in college. The only way to get them to ride with me at the time was as a "father's day wish". Once they finished college both started to ride road bikes. The older son took up triathlons and the younger became a road racer. Due to their training, riding came very easy and obtaining success was quick. I went from being a mentor to being whipped on in an instant. This year is a little different, the older son did a full iron man and is taking the summer off to recover mentally and physically and the younger son just accepted a teaching job in a city that is two hours away. We will ride again together but never like last summer. I was one proud poppa when my boy's would explode a group ride by taking double file pulls of 28 mph for several miles at a time while riders would pop off the back.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you have a convert...or it seems. It does make one feel good to know that you can enjoy together. a feeling of ?accomplishment?...
    continue to enjoy the ride.