User Tag List

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BRUTAL 100 miler

Last month, I reported on a 100-mile ride three of us took from Lincoln, CA to Nevada City.

It Looked Pretty Bad on Paper

It was a pleasant experience, and, because it was taken at a relaxed pace in coolish weather, not difficult, despite the 7000 + feet of climbing.

Not so the second time.

Five of us took off to do the same ride again. It was just brutal. I did the first 25 miles better than before, but Fred, who has done this ride 3 other times, seemed to be having trouble. He's 71, but is usually just as strong as anyone in our group. In fact, I figured I would be the anchor of this group.

After the break, Fred really began to fall behind, and the other three moved ahead. I was somewhere in the middle. The front three included the 24 yr old woman who often rides with us. It got a lot hotter a lot quicker than it was supposed to. It was 100 degrees by 11:00, I'm guessing. The Garmins registered 106 a bit later. We passed through spots that felt like a blast furnace.

We made an unscheduled stop, at Fred's request. Here's the only shot worth posting. That's me sitting down, in my beloved U. C. Santa Cruz jersey.

Soon after this, a 6-mile climb starts. I will admit I got a bit bonky at about mile 44. I was riding alone, so stopped and ate and drank a bit and felt better. By the time I got to the lunch stop, the three were half way through their sandwiches. I had finished mine by the time Fred pulled in.

By lunch, we have completed about 3/4 of the climbing. Fred was complaining of leg cramps, but I think it was more than that. While the other three went ahead, I rode with Fred, just in case. I just didn't feel right about letting him ride alone. I didn't mind riding a bit slower anyway. We stopped 6 times in 22 miles of mostly downhill riding.

We all met up at the same rest stop as earlier and rode most of the way back together. Fred seemed to get a second wind, but again fell behind with about 7 miles to go. I felt pretty good by this time, too. But we all rode in together, which is our custom.

I had to get in a car and drive (actually, I let my wife drive) to the SF Bay Area as soon as I got home. I didn't stop sweating until the AC had worked me over. Despite the tough ride, I didn't feel bad, and was just fine the next morning. But I think we have had enough of that ride for a while.

I went through 2 1/2 50 oz Camelbaks, 3 bottles of Gatorade, 2 bananas, a bagel and 5 energy bars I carried. I got a Coke at each of three stops, plus the sandwich and chips at lunch. Average speed for me was 12.1 mph (12.7 last time) and the entire experience took us 11 1/2 hours.
    Last edited by Mojo Slim; 08-12-09 at 11:31 PM.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great ride in tough conditions. I looks like you have a great group of people with whom to ride.

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's amazing what heat will do to a ride. You made it, maybe next time it will be a little cooler.
    Make mine a double!

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are a good man for waiting for Fred and letting the 24yr old get away. He will pay you back some how on future rides. I don't know how I would ride in 100+ heat, but, I do know that I would be drinking as much as I could get down. We had out first days of 90's earlier this week and it felt as if we were in a furnace.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always say I like heat but on this ride you were embrasing it...and you won, even though a bit tired. Good for you in finishing and +1 on staying with a partner.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job on the ride Mojo!

Heat is a killed for me; i.e. I just don't seem to be able to drink enough fast enough. Good that you stuck it out and finished! This is the mindset that will get you through all the tough double centuries in your future. Dante knows this already!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Good job on the ride Mojo!

Heat is a killed for me; i.e. I just don't seem to be able to drink enough fast enough. Good that you stuck it out and finished! This is the mindset that will get you through all the tough double centuries in your future. Dante knows this already!

Rick / OCRR
    I don't know, I think my mindset is that any double century for me will have to be all downhill with a tailwind.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim View Post
    I don't know, I think my mindset is that any double century for me will have to be all downhill with a tailwind.
    They're all downhill with a tailwind, hasn't anybody told you that yet.
    Make mine a double!