Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: LandRider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LandRider

Auto gear bike sounds to good to be true. Does anyone know anything about these bikes? I am new back to riding after too many years to disclose and have never ridden a cycle with gears. What do people know about this bike?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LandRider

I forgot to give you the name. LandRider.com will get you there. Thanks

My Bikes
    1996 Bianchi Veloce 1993 Bridgestone MB-3 1992 Trek 700 1992 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shifting on bikes now days is ridiculously easy. The Landrider infomercials make it out to be something hard to do, it's not. The main thing is to keep the bike tuned up. Something certainly do-able by the bike owner or if the owner is not willing to learn the mechanics, then a shop can do it. Not a big deal. What they fail to mention is that maintenance applies to the Landrider also.(even more so). Other than that they are heavy dept. store quality bikes with low-end components. Yes, I know some have been taken on long tours, but that would be the exception, not the rule. They'd be O.K. for toodling around the neighborhood I quess, but no better than any other bike.
    1996 Bianchi Veloce
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3
    1992 Trek 700
    1992 Trek 820

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never riden one. I'd still go with the Nexus.

My Bikes
    1996 Bianchi Veloce 1993 Bridgestone MB-3 1992 Trek 700 1992 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just looked at their website. Interestingly, they denounce "manual" shifting as too complicated and problematic, yet they spec. "manual" shifting on a couple of their models (roadbike & hybrid) Hmm...
    1996 Bianchi Veloce
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3
    1992 Trek 700
    1992 Trek 820

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a bike with a Nexus or Alfine internal gear hub. Pretty dang easy shifting on those.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Walmart quality bikes with a questionable shift mechanism sold for real bike prices. What a deal!

They are marketing on irrational fears. I'm surprised they don't claim that normal gear shifters will kill your grandma.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by norwood View Post
    The main thing is to keep the bike tuned up. Something certainly do-able by the bike owner or if the owner is not willing to learn the mechanics, then a shop can do it. Not a big deal. What they fail to mention is that maintenance applies to the Landrider also.(even more so).
    During the last two seasons our shop sold Trek Limelites with automatic shifting. Every single one was returned.

We offer lifetime free adjustments and a free basic tune-up in winter, to get that bike ready for spring. We like our customers to be out and riding and back into the shop buying accessories, 'cause that's where the margin is anyway. It also remedies the "cheaper to replace" syndrome, where a bike is ridden and never maintained, sits in a garage for a couple years, and then needs a $150-plus-parts tune-up to make it roadworthy.

I know today's comfort and fitness hybrids are a cinch to ride, because our customers are telling us they love their Globes, FXs, Navigators, and Townies.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trek, Giant and Raleigh also sell auto-shift bikes. These are 3-speeds. I have no problems with anyone liking how these operate, but operating a standard 3-speed is extremely easy. You just turn your wrist to select 1st, 2nd or 3rd. I suggested a few of these in my response to your other thread.

If you want to try an auto-shift out, it shouldn't be too hard to find a shop carrying one. I believe Trek has them on a big sale right now.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LandRider = junk
    One will come into the shop I work at every few months. Same quality as high end Walmart or entry level Dick's Sporting Goods bikes.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No real specification of the bike but if you buy one- you will get an upgrade worth $100. That will include

Fully adjustable alloy handlebars
    Shimano front derailleur
    Alloy pedal crank arms
    Alloy suspension seat

If the bars are not adjustable- there will be a fit problem
    Lots of grades of Shimano F.D's and some are not good. So what Cr*p is fitted initially
    I only know of Resin Cranks that are not made of Alloy of some description and they ARE Cr*p
    And an alloy seat post at this price will cause problems- I paid the amount the bike cost (Well nearly) for my suspension seat post.

Sorry but looking at the bike- Don't bother .

Just go along to a Local bike shop and see what they can offer. A cheap bike from a known manufacturer will suit you better.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend that teases about the Landrider... "so many gears but none of them right..."

Shifting is not particularly hard. There are times when you want to push more and times when you want to sit back and spin. With the Landrider, you have no choice. It is whatever the bike chooses for you. nd like a car with too many bells and whistles, it means more to maintain and can go wrong. For the money I would really invest in a good bike, start out on flats and just practice shifting. After a short while it becomes so second nature, just like driving a stick shift car.

But it's all about what you want and if it makes you ride more, than go for it.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, FCR2, Cypress
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Landrider= A bad solution being marketed for a non-existent problem. They even have info-mercials for these things. Just junk engineering trying to make a buck with snazzy marketing.

Shifting the most complicated bike is no big deal. Left hand shifts the front rings between high medium and low ranges (or high and low ranges on a compact double) and the right hand selects the gear from up to 10 choices. You do have to be moving to make the shifts and shouldn't shift while cranking hard like going up a hill. As said before, if this is too much to deal with, go for an internal geared hub (IGH). Those can be had with 3 to 8 gears, all selected with just one hand. What you loose for the sake of simplicity is a little range. The IGH will not usually have a gear as low or as high as regular derailler type shifting. But, the IGH is sealed, clean, can be shifted when not moving (like while stopped at a traffic signal) and very simple to use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can't figure out shifting, what are you doing on a bike? It will just make tuning a derailleur more difficult. bk
    Last edited by bkaapcke; 08-13-09 at 06:24 PM.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw on the internet that Lance and his RadioShack mates will all be riding LandRiders in the '10 TDF!
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    I saw on the internet that Lance and his RadioShack mates will all be riding LandRiders in the '10 TDF!
    That would be a sure sign of doping!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by norwood View Post
    I just looked at their website. Interestingly, they denounce "manual" shifting as too complicated and problematic, yet they spec. "manual" shifting on a couple of their models (roadbike & hybrid) Hmm...
    Anyone who thinks manual shifting is too complicated certainly wouldn't be able to handle balancing.
    I'm surprised they don't come with training wheels.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Wow! Walmart quality bikes with a questionable shift mechanism sold for real bike prices. What a deal!

They are marketing on irrational fears. I'm surprised they don't claim that normal gear shifters will kill your grandma.

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Wingra, 30 yr old KHS Mountain Bike, Used Yakima traile
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    "Wow!" " ...What a deal!
    "...normal gear shifters will kill your grandma."

Quick, sell before the rush devalues all of your bikes and buy a Landrider before they are unavailable at any price!
    I read it on Bike Forums - it must be true.
    The difference between "Bold" and "Stupid"
    is often measured by the severity of your injuries.

63 yr old MTB newbie and his lovely bride

His: '08 Roubaix S-Works, ''11 Stumpjumper FSR Comp, '11 TriCross Comp, '11 Globe SS with Brooks B-17W saddle
    Hers:'08 Ruby Pro, '11 Safire FSR Comp, '11 TriCross Comp, '11 Skinny Benny SS with Brooks B-17 saddle
    Theirs: '10 Breezer 3-speed commuter

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The LandRider is the bike that got me back into riding. You must still manually shift between low and high range. If you can manage that, you can shift a "normal" bike. I had the LandRider about 8 months and sold it on ebay. Might I suggest if you must buy one save some money and purchase on ebay. Same company sells their reconditioned returns there for much less. I did find myself at times wishing I could shift the darn thing as it had me cruising at too high for me cadence. Had to speed up so it would shift, then back off a bit and hope it didn't shift back. Anyway the Trek 7200FX was so much superior to the LandRider. Much lower gearing to climb hills. Index shifting a breeze. I'd recommend you skip the mistake and go right to a hybrid or comfort bike.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the one hand, I have little respect for someone who is too stupid or too lazy to consider learning how to shift the gears on a multi-geared bike. It's not that hard to learn. (Harsh!)

On the other hand, it's good for people to be cycling and if not having to learn how to shift will get them there, that's good. I have plenty of friends/acquaintances who don't want to learn to shift, and I still like them.

If a LandRider gets someone cycling, that's a good thing.

There are other alternatives besides the LandRider. If it's really a heavy, crummy, expensive bike, maybe people would be better off with something else. I don't know much about it.

I think one big hangup of people vis-a-vis shifting is having two shift levers. They don't know how to use the two in combination. If you just have one shifter, it's easy. The gears go from low to high.

When my kids were learning they started on single-speeds to learn how to balance, ride without training wheels, etc. Their next bike was a little Specialized with a 6-speed rear derailleur only. They had no trouble with that and loved having gears. After a couple years on that bike they were ready to move to a 24-speed bike. They were ready to learn to deal with using two shifters in combination.

When I was a kid in the late 50's and early 60's, I went from a single speed to a bike with a 3-speed Sturmey-Archer rear hub. These days there are options with internal-geared rear hubs that would be excellent for someone getting into cycling. I'm thinking of a Trek Lime or something similar.

P. S. I'm a 6th grade teacher. I take my class on a bicycling field trip each year. Prior to the trip I check all their bikes to make sure they have brakes, the wheels aren't about to fall off, etc. More than half of them ride mountain bikes with 3 chainrings and a bunch of gears in back. At least half of those kids keep their bikes in one gear combination ALL THE TIME! Typically they ignore the front derailleur - wherever it ends up becomes its default position. They pick a gear they like in back and stick with that. I hear things like this all the time: "I like 5. 5 is my favorite gear!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Bikers...

Today I noticed I has a private message from a kind soul who wanted to help me understand that even though I haven't ridden in more years than many of you have under your belt, the possibity is still available. Good advise, simply put works for me. Thank you to him! Loosen up others... you won't always be fit and nimble!!!

GrammaK

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrammaK View Post
    Hello Bikers...

Today I noticed I has a private message from a kind soul who wanted to help me understand that even though I haven't ridden in more years than many of you have under your belt, the possibity is still available. Good advise, simply put works for me. Thank you to him! Loosen up others... you won't always be fit and nimble!!!

GrammaK
    Good sensible reply.

You have sussed out the knockers and found the helpers- good on ya.

Only thing I hope you have picked up from the replies- Manual shifting is easy- Good bikes come from known manufacturers and Only you can tell what you want.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Equiping a bike with Nexus (or similar) makes a lot more sense than LandRider.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer