Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anybody else got a knee that sounds like velcro?

if so, any way to help the condition? My left knee is annoyingly loud when I bend it and the sound is very similar to ripping velcro. No pain though so that's good.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's called crepitus, and it has at least dozens of possible causes. Start here: http://symptoms.wrongdiagnosis.com/c...e-symptoms.htm

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    It's called crepitus, and it has at least dozens of possible causes. Start here: http://symptoms.wrongdiagnosis.com/c...e-symptoms.htm
    I was aware of the name of the condition through previous Googling. Just thought I'd see if I could find someone else on here with it. Thanks.

I'm also curious to know about any crepitus/cycling connections.
    Last edited by daredevil; 08-14-09 at 12:14 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

My Bikes
    1983 Pinarello Treviso ,2008 Specialized Tarmac, 1984 Ciocc, De Rosa 1982, Fuji Absolute 2.0 touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got it in both knees..way more on the right side. I've been getting that noise for many years. At first I was concerned but no pain or weakness has ever developed so I pretty much forgotten about it...until now that is.
    "ready to navigate"

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bykemike View Post
    I got it in both knees..way more on the right side. I've been getting that noise for many years. At first I was concerned but no pain or weakness has ever developed so I pretty much forgotten about it...until now that is.
    It's gonna be hard to forget about for me, I think, because it is so audible and noticeable. You are right about no pain or weakness in the area making the noise but I have had issues with other areas of that knee. On the other hand, I've had issues with the other knee too but no crepitus has developed.

Thanks for the input.
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
    It's gonna be hard to forget about for me, I think, because it is so audible and noticeable. You are right about no pain or weakness in the area making the noise but I have had issues with other areas of that knee. On the other hand, I've had issues with the other knee too but no crepitus has developed.

Thanks for the input.
    That can be expected with age sometimes. I have an ACL repair dating to 1977. That knee is fairly noisy. I put over 30 years in a chemical plant where all of the piping valves were overhead. So both of my shoulder joints make a lot of noise. In both cases it is soft tissue getting hard with age plus a little fraying of the tissue.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had knee crepitus since my teenage years! My mom also has it. We noticed it after moving into our 2-story house when I was about 12. I still hear it every time I go up and down stairs, but it hasn't worsened or developed into anything else ---- as far as I know. My mom's knees are still good (at age 79).
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bad ankle that "clicks and pops", and hurts, when I'm pedaling hard or standing out of the saddle. Recently on a hill climb a buddy next to me said that he could hear my chain ring bolts click. I explained to him it wasn't the chain ring bolts but rather my ankle with it's built-in cadence counter.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    1983 Pinarello Treviso ,2008 Specialized Tarmac, 1984 Ciocc, De Rosa 1982, Fuji Absolute 2.0 touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yo! I've got ankle pop as well as knee velcro..but I am active and bike, windsurf etc. and don't have any pain issues with either. I am 60 and figure if I complain to a Dr. he is going to look around and really mess me up so I am livin' with the symptoms until I feel more pain than I can bear. Oh, and my right hand goes to sleep when I ride in the drops....

Mike
    "ready to navigate"