Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 08-13-09, 10:34 PM   #1
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anybody else got a knee that sounds like velcro?

if so, any way to help the condition? My left knee is annoyingly loud when I bend it and the sound is very similar to ripping velcro. No pain though so that's good.
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 11:04 PM   #2
Velo Dog

Bikes:
It's called crepitus, and it has at least dozens of possible causes. Start here: http://symptoms.wrongdiagnosis.com/c...e-symptoms.htm
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 11:09 PM   #3
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
It's called crepitus, and it has at least dozens of possible causes. Start here: http://symptoms.wrongdiagnosis.com/c...e-symptoms.htm
I was aware of the name of the condition through previous Googling. Just thought I'd see if I could find someone else on here with it. Thanks.

I'm also curious to know about any crepitus/cycling connections.

Last edited by daredevil; 08-13-09 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-14-09, 05:19 AM   #4
bykemike 

Bikes: 2006 Pinarello F4:13, all Sram Red 10, 2008 Specialized Tarmac, all Sram Force 22, Fuji Touring bike
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I got it in both knees..way more on the right side. I've been getting that noise for many years. At first I was concerned but no pain or weakness has ever developed so I pretty much forgotten about it...until now that is.
Old 08-14-09, 06:31 AM   #5
daredevil
cyclepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by bykemike View Post
I got it in both knees..way more on the right side. I've been getting that noise for many years. At first I was concerned but no pain or weakness has ever developed so I pretty much forgotten about it...until now that is.
It's gonna be hard to forget about for me, I think, because it is so audible and noticeable. You are right about no pain or weakness in the area making the noise but I have had issues with other areas of that knee. On the other hand, I've had issues with the other knee too but no crepitus has developed.

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-14-09, 08:53 AM   #6
Whiteknight

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
It's gonna be hard to forget about for me, I think, because it is so audible and noticeable. You are right about no pain or weakness in the area making the noise but I have had issues with other areas of that knee. On the other hand, I've had issues with the other knee too but no crepitus has developed.

Thanks for the input.
That can be expected with age sometimes. I have an ACL repair dating to 1977. That knee is fairly noisy. I put over 30 years in a chemical plant where all of the piping valves were overhead. So both of my shoulder joints make a lot of noise. In both cases it is soft tissue getting hard with age plus a little fraying of the tissue.
Whiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 09:48 AM   #7
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
I've had knee crepitus since my teenage years! My mom also has it. We noticed it after moving into our 2-story house when I was about 12. I still hear it every time I go up and down stairs, but it hasn't worsened or developed into anything else ---- as far as I know. My mom's knees are still good (at age 79).
Old 08-14-09, 09:54 AM   #8
Allegheny Jet 

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
I have a bad ankle that "clicks and pops", and hurts, when I'm pedaling hard or standing out of the saddle. Recently on a hill climb a buddy next to me said that he could hear my chain ring bolts click. I explained to him it wasn't the chain ring bolts but rather my ankle with it's built-in cadence counter.
Old 08-15-09, 04:24 PM   #9
bykemike 

Bikes: 2006 Pinarello F4:13, all Sram Red 10, 2008 Specialized Tarmac, all Sram Force 22, Fuji Touring bike
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yo! I've got ankle pop as well as knee velcro..but I am active and bike, windsurf etc. and don't have any pain issues with either. I am 60 and figure if I complain to a Dr. he is going to look around and really mess me up so I am livin' with the symptoms until I feel more pain than I can bear. Oh, and my right hand goes to sleep when I ride in the drops....

Mike