Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    schminn fitcross
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

recomend a good tire pump

I'm just getting back into biking and need to get a good tire pump for the shop. What does everyone use? thanks....

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Wingra, 30 yr old KHS Mountain Bike, Used Yakima traile
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a compressor that's good up to 140# for routine use. That's crucial - since retirement I have become the official air station for all of the kids in the neighborhood. I keep it set at 60# with a double headed wand on the end that will reach in between some of those custom 100 spoke wheels. It's only a few twists of the regulator to get 120# before we head out on our road bikes.

I use a Bontrager floor pump when the compressor isn't available or when we're driving to a ride. The floor pump has a narrow tube to maximize air pressure and minimize effort - it takes more strokes, but it's like spinning in a lower gear for me. The location of the foot pads and the gauge make it very easy to stabilize and see. It also has a very long hose. I'm well satisfied with it.
    Last edited by McQz; 08-14-09 at 08:33 PM.
    The difference between "Bold" and "Stupid"
    is often measured by the severity of your injuries.

63 yr old MTB newbie and his lovely bride

His: '08 Roubaix S-Works, ''11 Stumpjumper FSR Comp, '11 TriCross Comp, '11 Globe SS with Brooks B-17W saddle
    Hers:'08 Ruby Pro, '11 Safire FSR Comp, '11 TriCross Comp, '11 Skinny Benny SS with Brooks B-17 saddle
    Theirs: '10 Breezer 3-speed commuter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had 2 or 3 versions of Blackburn floor pumps, they seem to last a while.

My favorite 1s the TPS-2, whose chuck is the easiest to use. Has a pressure gauge as well.

I think I paid $25

SB

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iowaguy View Post
    I'm just getting back into biking and need to get a good tire pump for the shop. What does everyone use? thanks....
    I had a thread on this recently. I just grabbed a pump from Wal Mart believe it or not. Schwinn brand, presta/schraeder head, 120 psi capacity. I'm not picky and it works fine for me. $25.

The choices are pretty much limitless but you should be able to find a serviceable pump for under $30 imo.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a nice Blackburn down in Louisiana. Up here, I bought a cheap Pyramid. Both are floor pumps.

The Pyramid has a gauge and gets my road tires up to 120 psi, no problem, as does the Blackburn. On occasion, the pin the holds the lever in place on the Pyramid comes loose. Now that I know that, I check the pin once in a while. As long as the pin is in place, the pump does a good job. I'm satisfied with both of them.

cycling for 50 plus yrs colorado dale's Avatar
    My Bikes
    IF Crown Jewell
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the topek joe blow currently on slae at performance is a great pump

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take it you mean a track pump for home and I only have one suggestion.

Go to a shop and ask if you can try the one out that you are thinking of getting.

I went to the LBS because the 2 that I had- yes 2- were taking a lot of effort to get the road tyres to 120 psi. They were bought for MTB tyres that only require about 60psi at most.

So in the shop and "I want a floor pump"

"Right- heres a wheel- Try this one"

That pump worked but next came

"Try it a few times- several here need pumping up" And a bit later "This one needs 200psi"

That pump worked and I bought it.

So try the pump out to see if it will get to the required pressure you need- and that you like the valve fitment.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

A little North of Hell
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XXXI

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still use an ancient Zefal Husky pump that just keeps working. I replaced the hose several years back with one with a Topeak Smart Head which works amazingly well for me.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    schminn fitcross
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, I am on my way to the LBS this afternoon. I just like to have some ideas before I get there.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for the Topeak Joe Blow when on sale-great value!

My Bikes
    Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an air compressor in my garage, but its faster to use a floor pump. I use my 30 year old Silca. New parts are still available. They are a little expensive but for me well worth it.
    The Joe Blow"s look OK and one very cool thing about some of them they have a air gauge near the top so we +50's can see the dam thing. Replacement parts are also available. and you can find them on sale.

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bought a cheap Specialized floor pump...

but had to use some of the wife unit's red nail polish to mark the 100 and 120-psi points on the meter

(makes it a *lot* easier to pump up without glasses)

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to say that I have had very good luck with the Nashbar black floor pump...$10 onsale.

I don't let anyone borrow it though, I treat it carefully.
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like cyclaire. You might consider one of those CO2 cartridge things.
    2000 Montague CX, I do not recommend it, but still ride it.
    Strida 3, I recommend it for rides < 10mi wo steep hills.
    2006 Rowbike 720 Sport, I recommend it as an exercise bike.
    1996 Birdy, Recommend.
    Wieleder CARiBIKE (folding), decent frame.

The cat says Merry Xmas Pamestique's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Specialized Air Tool Pro Floor Pump

Best pump ever!!!! Easy to use even for a chick but manly enough for a guy!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious what he finally came up with...don't think we'll hear.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

My Bikes
    Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe Blow Pro
    DP
    04 Specialized Expedition Sport
    08 Surly LHT

No I'm Not a Pirate! Bionicycle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for Bontrager here… I just bought a Bontrager Turbocharger, about two weeks ago, and I have been most impressed with it so far. Granted it’s only been two weeks, but it pumps circles around the old floor pump I had.
    Last edited by Bionicycle; 08-19-09 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Wrong pump name...
    A bird can roost but on one branch, a mouse can drink not more than its fill from a river.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Park PFP-3. Bought it about five years ago. Best, most easy to use pump I have owned, and I have owned a few since the '70s. I can easily pump up to 120 PSI.

Park offers a more heavy duty version of this, the PFP-4. More money, and probably not necessary for home use.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pump For the shop

Topeak Joe Blow
    I've had it 11 years.
    Got the rebuild kit for it last year which put it back into 'like new' condition.
    Sturdy, reliable, smarthead feature eliminates flip flop on the valve, easy to reach designated pressures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have way more floor pumps than I need, but I have them pre-positioned for maximum convenience (one in car, one in basement workshop, one in living room in case I forget to top off the tires before bringing bike up from basement). My favorite is probably the Joe Blow Sport, because I really like the Topeak dual-ended chuck. I also have a Joe Blow Pro but I don't like their one-size-fits-all chuck as much (too much spring tension on the lever...too easy to bend presta valves when operating it). My in-car pump is a Specialized Air Tool. I really disliked the chuck on that so I replaced it with a Topeak and now it works great despite sitting in 100F+ heat in my car for several summers.

My Bikes
    Trek 750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
    I use the Park PFP-3. Bought it about five years ago. Best, most easy to use pump I have owned, and I have owned a few since the '70s. I can easily pump up to 120 PSI.

Park offers a more heavy duty version of this, the PFP-4. More money, and probably not necessary for home use.
    Someone has a PPF 4 in my buildings bike room for all to use, I've used it half a dozen times and it seems fine. But I saw a LOT of negative posts on Amazon, and while there always are some disgruntled folks posting nasty reviews, the negative ones seemed to be in the majority.

Was also looking at the Blackburnm Air Tower 4 and the Joe Blow. Can't seem to decide and pull the damn trigger!
    1991 Trek 750 Multitrack Hybrid

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Wingra, 30 yr old KHS Mountain Bike, Used Yakima traile
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by semsd View Post
    I have an air compressor in my garage, but its faster to use a floor pump. I use my 30 year old Silca. New parts are still available. They are a little expensive but for me well worth it.
    The Joe Blow"s look OK and one very cool thing about some of them they have a air gauge near the top so we +50's can see the dam thing. Replacement parts are also available. and you can find them on sale.
    You might want to check your compressor... Mine can get up to 150# and takes about 20 seconds to pop in the presta gauge/chuck and dial in the pressure. It then takes only a few seconds to fill it up both tires. I spend more time taking the valve covers off and putting them back on than in actually filling the tires.

My compressor sits next to the garage door, so it is easy to get any of our vehicles (as well as all of the neighborhood kids' bikes) into usable position. The only vehicles that actually fit in the garage are 4 of our 6 bikes and my bride's motorcycle. It is a piece of cake to top of the tires on either or both bikes as we get ready to roll out, whether mounted or carrying them to the car for a road trip.

Since getting the compressor in January, the only time we've used the Bontrager (which I like very much - the top-mounted gauge is da bomb for these old eyes!) is when we've driven someplace and brought the bikes along.
    The difference between "Bold" and "Stupid"
    is often measured by the severity of your injuries.

63 yr old MTB newbie and his lovely bride

His: '08 Roubaix S-Works, ''11 Stumpjumper FSR Comp, '11 TriCross Comp, '11 Globe SS with Brooks B-17W saddle
    Hers:'08 Ruby Pro, '11 Safire FSR Comp, '11 TriCross Comp, '11 Skinny Benny SS with Brooks B-17 saddle
    Theirs: '10 Breezer 3-speed commuter

My Bikes
    schminn fitcross
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And my choice was the Joe Blow, my local bike shop had three to chose from and the Joe Blow seemed to work easiest for me. Thanks for all the help. All the folks here on the form are just great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast