Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The 50+ annual ride and the economy

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-13-09, 08:50 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

I have had a number of folks who had planned to come on the 50+ ride who withdrew because they lost their job, they are searching for a job, they might lose their job, they took reductions in pay, etc.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-13-09, 09:00 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Been there ... done that. I have had two brief teaching gigs and a part-time consulting contract, but my income flow is down about 75% from last year. I just had a very good interview yesterday for a 3-month contract position at a nice hourly rate, and I have a business meeting with a professor tomorrow, so I am hoping things are starting to look up a bit. I currently find myself minimizing all discretionary spending and making myself readily available on short notice for interviews or contract work, making it very difficult to commit to any length of time away from home.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-13-09, 07:22 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not surprised.
I know folks who had to close their business after running that business over 25 years. Many work reduced hours. Restaurants and motels are suffering.
The latest is a sharp increase in cost of anything to do with government. Sales tax and property tax is going up significantly in Illinois and they are still broke.
Suppliers of machine tools to the American Automotive Companies are not having fun. Many go BK or at least reduce the work force.
There is no light at the end of that tunnel yet.
Housing is a catastrophe and looks it will remain so.
--------------------
A few individuals got out in time and intact. Very few.
The next shoe to drop is Inflation. High rate of inflation will make us all suffer.
There is a real danger of Stagflation.
Lets all go biking. It is cheap and gets our mind off this mess.
Old 08-13-09, 08:33 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 503 Posts
I'm one of Dfox's examples, unfortunately. I was an advanced product design engineer at a maor automotive supplier that is now in Chapter 11, and I was let go in March. Been trying to decide if I want to retire and be a bike bum, or go back to work. Work is the right answer, so I signed up with the outplacement service that is part of my severance package. That will be an intensive three months of work, so I can't spare the week in Colorado right now. I especially signed back up because there are some new efforts coming to my area, and I want to make sure to try for them. They dovetail nicely with my work experience.

I was looking forward to meeting all of you, and still do at some later get-together. Make this a good event, so Denver will be wiliing to help bring it about again!

Road Fan
Old 08-14-09, 10:16 PM
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This spring the plant I work in had a reduction and a couple of 2 week shutdowns and another for one week. I'm still feeling the effects and I'm just too leary right now to go even if I did have the cash! Though my plant is seeing some small increases in production, there's still a long way to go before we get close to the levels we were producing last year and I start to feel comfortable, especially since I was the last man standing in my unit at the end of the reduction.

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I was looking forward to meeting all of you, and still do at some later get-together. Make this a good event, so Denver will be wiliing to help bring it about again!

Road Fan
+1! Take good care of Denver folks, so maybe he'll wrangle another get-together later!
Old 08-15-09, 12:36 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I am one of the victims and it is one of the things I am truly going to miss. The money I was going to use to go to Colorado has to be put aside for a while as things are going to get tougher for a few years. I will survive so hopefully I may be able to come on a future gathering.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-15-09, 11:20 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
I am not surprised.
I know folks who had to close their business after running that business over 25 years. Many work reduced hours. Restaurants and motels are suffering.
The latest is a sharp increase in cost of anything to do with government. Sales tax and property tax is going up significantly in Illinois and they are still broke.
Suppliers of machine tools to the American Automotive Companies are not having fun. Many go BK or at least reduce the work force.
There is no light at the end of that tunnel yet.
Housing is a catastrophe and looks it will remain so.
--------------------
A few individuals got out in time and intact. Very few.
The next shoe to drop is Inflation. High rate of inflation will make us all suffer.
There is a real danger of Stagflation.
Lets all go biking. It is cheap and gets our mind off this mess.
I won't even start about selling real estate. Suffice to be said that although I'm selling a lot of property, my commission rate is considrably less than that of a year ago. No matter how frugally we disigned the trip, we couldn't justify the expence.

Thus, we'll skip this ride and hoe to meet y'all at another time.
Old 08-16-09, 12:25 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My business is down 75%. Only bright side is I don't have to take it personally -- everyone is suffering.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-16-09, 03:51 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For me life in the saw dust factory is about the same. Since my work involved stuff nobody used or did anything with before they are perfectly willing to pay me to keep doing it, although they frooze all increases this year (except upper management - shush, that's supposed to be kept a secret ) But I am busier than ever writing proposals so I can join all the other pigs at the Obama pig trough waisting all of your money, correction - all your grandkids and thier grandkids money