User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestions on next Bicycle article - riding tips

Suggestions on future "Bicycling About Parker" article - riding tips

A future article I will be writing will be "Riding Tips."

Remember, my target audience is new folks just getting interested in and starting in bicycling (at any age), and I live in a bicycle intensive area full of interestings and enjoyable MUPS.

Here are the articles I have already done.

http://www.ourwebs.info/bicyclingaboutparkerindex.htm

Here are some of my thoughts:

Discussion of

Cadence

Angling correctly over ridges and different elevations in the roadway (i.e., hitting them at 90 degrees)

How to save yourself from falling if you drop off the edge of the roadway

Steering with your butt

No earphones and why

Pacing one's self

Hydration and nutrition

Changing hand position and numbness

Standing now and then

Braking evenly

Getting the chain back oin the chain ring (when it has gone off the inside ring) without ever touching the chain.

Any other suggestions about specific riding techniques for folks beginning bicycling?

(I have already done safety on a MUP, and will do clothing, shoes, sun screen, etc., in another article. Also, I am not going to write [at this time] about riding on roads with cars. All MUPS around here.)
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-15-09 at 01:10 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is interesting - there are so many techniques that you might consider an article on basic techniques with a teaser mentioning that you will do another in a few weeks on more advanced techniques. Many of those you mentioned I would consider more advanced techniques and some are very important techniques for newbies (such as - what to do when you drop off the pavement, angling across tracks, ridges - etc.).

Steering with one's Butt - that one I don't know about but can just imagine.

"Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Destination-appropriate lateral lane positioning at intersections.
    Door zone avoidance.
    Making a vehicular left turn, making a square or two-part left turn, and how to decide which to execute.
    Entering or leaving a trail where it meets up with a street -- some of these intersections are quite awkward.
    How to remove and replace your wheels and ensure that they stay on properly. Even for those who do not repair their own punctures, this is a great skill for bicycle transporting, etc.
    How to select a helmet which fits your head shape, and how to adjust the straps and pads.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Destination-appropriate lateral lane positioning at intersections.
    Door zone avoidance.
    Making a vehicular left turn, making a square or two-part left turn, and how to decide which to execute.
    Entering or leaving a trail where it meets up with a street -- some of these intersections are quite awkward.
    How to remove and replace your wheels and ensure that they stay on properly. Even for those who do not repair their own punctures, this is a great skill for bicycle transporting, etc.
    How to select a helmet which fits your head shape, and how to adjust the straps and pads.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

My target audience will not be riding on the roads.

I am going to do tires and wheels, changing, mounting, QR's, etc., in another article.

I will do helmets with "clothing."

Have to keep the articles relatively short.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Steering with your butt
    Not to hijack your thread, but you could get this guy to write up that topic for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6-HyT9gZXI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Not to hijack your thread, but you could get this guy to write up that topic for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6-HyT9gZXI
    I think you hijacked it!!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think one of the points to be put forward is why to start riding in the first place. You may have already done this- or you may be preaching to the converted but why should anyone take up cycling as a hobby?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I think one of the points to be put forward is why to start riding in the first place. You may have already done this- or you may be preaching to the converted but why should anyone take up cycling as a hobby?

Great suggestion - the topic for an entirely different article. Thanks

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MUP Safety and Etiquette?

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Suggestions on future "Bicycling About Parker" article - riding tips

A future article I will be writing will be "Riding Tips."

Remember, my target audience is new folks just getting interested in and starting in bicycling (at any age), and I live in a bicycle intensive area full of interestings and enjoyable MUPS.

Here are the articles I have already done.

Here are some of my thoughts:

Discussion of

Cadence

Angling correctly over ridges and different elevations in the roadway (i.e., hitting them at 90 degrees)

How to save yourself from falling if you drop off the edge of the roadway

Steering with your butt

No earphones and why

Pacing one's self

Hydration and nutrition

Changing hand position and numbness

Standing now and then

Braking evenly

Getting the chain back oin the chain ring (when it has gone off the inside ring) without ever touching the chain.

Any other suggestions about specific riding techniques for folks beginning bicycling?

(I have already done safety on a MUP, and will do clothing, shoes, sun screen, etc., in another article. Also, I am not going to write [at this time] about riding on roads with cars. All MUPS around here.)
    This is a lot for one article, and many of these can be easily overdone. For example, in Cadence I'd limit comments to "you should pedal at least as fast as the pace of a normal walk." This by the way is the musical tempo "allegro" and would correspond to 60 revolutions per minute, maybe plus or minus 10.

I agree with teasing it out over 2 or even three articles.

Another thought: is this a good time of year for this content? Would it be better done in the Spring, when the weather is just getting back to good riding?

A topic suggestion: How to change gears to help you get over those "little" hills in the Denver area.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    This is a lot for one article, and many of these can be easily overdone. For example, in Cadence I'd limit comments to "you should pedal at least as fast as the pace of a normal walk." This by the way is the musical tempo "allegro" and would correspond to 60 revolutions per minute, maybe plus or minus 10.

I agree with teasing it out over 2 or even three articles.

Another thought: is this a good time of year for this content? Would it be better done in the Spring, when the weather is just getting back to good riding?

A topic suggestion: How to change gears to help you get over those "little" hills in the Denver area.

Thanks - yes, there is a lot here.

In regards to timing - my madness is, I don't really expect anyone to read these now. I am writing when I have the time and inclination. Sometimes, in my situation, that does not coincide with the season.

More and more I am visualizing a little booklet in the information stands of our recreation department's various facilities - "Bicycling About Parker - and Some Riding Tips" or something like that. Something that would be finished by, perhaps, about early spring?

And, perhaps a course listed in our rec dept's bulletin - "Bicycling About Parker" - taught by that master of bicycling, Denver C. Fox. I'll have to work on that, as I had to drop out of the course on personal fitness trainer that I was supposed to be taking yesterday, today and tomorrow (and the test) due to my son's broken femur and all the MD's appointments that I had to be available for, and also some other "life" problems.

Our rec dept Director has asked for links to the articles as I finish them, which I am doing every now and then.

so, I have an ulterior motive in doing this.

Also, once I sort of get finished, I will likely rearrange the order, and better match the article with the suggested rides.

I do best just starting something, letting it have a life of its own for a bit, then organizing things like I want them retroactively.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-15-09 at 03:29 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    MUP Safety and Etiquette?
    Already written and posted. Goodness, you didn't read it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Circular pedaling

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Als, I am trying to convince my wife, who is an excellent writer, to write something about bicycling from the distaff side.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Combined with some ideas from the 50+ returnee guides that are (or were?) stickied here, this content would make a nice nationally distributed pamphlet or short book, as long as the rides don't all start at the Parker rec center. BTW, that must not have been there in 1992. I do recognize some of your landmarks.

We used to ride from Dahlia and Hampton in Denver down to the Cherry Creek reservoir using the High Line Canal, across the dam road, then around the full park loop. Nice ride, but a few nasty hills in the Kennedy Golf Course area leading up to the dam road.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    Combined with some ideas from the 50+ returnee guides that are (or were?) stickied here, this content would make a nice nationally distributed pamphlet or short book, as long as the rides don't all start at the Parker rec center. BTW, that must not have been there in 1992. I do recognize some of your landmarks.

We used to ride from Dahlia and Hampton in Denver down to the Cherry Creek reservoir using the High Line Canal, across the dam road, then around the full park loop. Nice ride, but a few nasty hills in the Kennedy Golf Course area leading up to the dam road.
    Cherry Creek Road now closed to bicycles. Instead, there is a great trail which goes in front of the dam, intersecting with the Cherry Creel Trail on the northwest side, which takes one down to Confluence Park, joining with the Platte River Trail, also pretty new.

The CCT through Kennedy is still steep but doable.

Hey, I gotta go local, before I go national.

I imagine that I will include everything that is "stickied" here for our 50+ newbie riders by the time this is finished, and a whole lot more.

I am just finishing "Wildlife" and a ride around Cherry Creek State Park right now.

Parker rec center is new, Parker has 40,000 folks, and the surrounding area hundreds of thousands.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My recollection is that when we left Denver (defense collapse, around when Lowry AFB was closed down), Parker seemed like the first new houses were being built.