User Tag List

My Bikes
    Motobecane Sprint
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 weeks 2 crashes

I've been riding 4-5 days a week since I started bicycling again at the beginning of March. In that time I've covered just less than 3000 miles over mostly the same roads near my home. Until 2 weeks ago I'd never even had a close call with a spill but that's all changed now.

The first one happened as I was coming to a stop at an intersection where a lot of loose asphalt has accumulated. I always warn my riding companions about it, but on that day I found myself too far to the inside of the corner and mired in the loose material. I started falling to my right and couldn't unclip in time to stop the fall. Because I was nearly stopped, the impact wasn't too hard though and my bike seemed fine. But about 6 miles further into the ride I heard a noise I've become all too familiar with and discovered a broken spoke on my rear wheel, drive side. I stopped, removed my wheels, and waited for my friend to go home and return with his car.

Early this morning, the same friend and I were about 22 miles into a planned 30 mile ride. We were accelerating and pedaling about 16 mph after making a 90 degree turn. This is the same road that I'd had my first crash on and the asphalt has some really bad spots. I accidentally dropped my front tire off the right side where the roadway is built up 2" and fell to my left this time. My left knee and shoulder absorbed the brunt of the fall and my helmet also made solid contact with the road surface. As it did I saw my friend's chain ring pass only a couple of inches from my face as he swerved to avoid me. I popped up immediately and the bike seemed fine, but I was dripping blood from my knee and my right hand which I'd apparently extended across my body to arrest the fall. There were a few small cuts on my fingertips but not a great deal of pain, and then I noticed my thumb extended at an odd angle. It popped easily back into place and I mounted my bike again and finished the ride home.

Between these two incidents earlier this week I had a close call when I dropped both wheels off the asphalt at almost the same location as today's crash. I really didn't ever feel like I would fall, but there was a really bad sound and I pulled over to check my spokes and tires. I thought at the least that I'd be changing a flat, but my tires were fine.

My thumb is pretty sore now and somewhat swollen. It seemed to pop right back into place, but I tried to lift a 1/2 gallon carton of orange juice a while ago and it seemed to dislocate again and it hurts to try to turn the ignition key in my truck. I'm hoping to ride again tomorrow and if the thumb isn't better will let the Dr. have a look at it on Monday. I think I was really lucky today, it could have been much worse. But whatever, I'm studying the maps for an alternate route and won't be on Womack Road again.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RayM View Post
    I accidentally dropped my front tire off the right side where the roadway is built up 2" and fell to my left this time.
    That's a common type of bicycle accident.

When you drift off of the road (and everybody does it) stay off. Either come to a complete stop or find a place where you can make a wide swing and ride back onto the road at right angles. Unfortunately, that's counter intuitive. Many riders will try to swerve back the way you would with your car. When you do that with a bicycle, however, your tire catches the edge of the pavement and spills you across the traffic lane.

My Bikes
    Motobecane Sprint
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed Retro. The first time I steered straight and remained upright. Today it happened really fast and I felt my wheel twist and was going down at the same time.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it works for you the same as it worked for me, be careful.

I reached a point around the same time when my comfort and confidence on the bike increased disproportionately faster than my skills and abilities. Still have the scars and busted helmet...

I'd always thought over-confidence was an ego or arrogance thing. Turns out, it was a comfort thing.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you maybe riding a little too close to the edge of the road?

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my case, the pavement apron abruptly narrowed and I didn't notice so, off I went and down I went. just like you. Other than some rash on my elbow & helmet, no damage. Luckily for me, my reflexes are so slow I didn't use my hand to break my fall.

Looking further down the road helps. Head up.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCAC View Post
    Luckily for me, my reflexes are so slow I didn't use my hand to break my fall.
    Are you lucky! I used to practice soccer with my sons by playing goal keeper and letting them take shots at me. I got pretty good at it too. My reflexes are so quick that when I went over a week ago I was able to stick out both hands to break my fall. Didn't scuff my helmet and my face is as pretty as it ever was.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think about taking a breather. A little time off of the bikes might be in order to let things heal. Check your helmet for cracks to the styrofoam. If cracked, replace it.
    After my first wreck, I waited 2 weeks before riding again. And then I went on a fat tire MTB and on a dirt trail. Dirt, although it hurts when you hit, is much softer than asphault or concrete.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Are you lucky! I used to practice soccer with my sons by playing goal keeper and letting them take shots at me. I got pretty good at it too. My reflexes are so quick that when I went over a week ago I was able to stick out both hands to break my fall. Didn't scuff my helmet and my face is as pretty as it ever was.
    Actually, I dirt bike a lot which means lots of crashes. You learn early on not to try to break your fall with your hands, as that often leads to wrist, shoulder or collarbone problems.

The slow reflexes help, though.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCAC View Post
    Actually, I dirt bike a lot which means lots of crashes. You learn early on not to try to break your fall with your hands, as that often leads to wrist, shoulder or collarbone problems.

The slow reflexes help, though.
    No problem! No wrist, shoulder or collarbone problems for me!

On the other hand, I did break both elbows. My next goal is to regain the ability to feed myself. When that happens I think I will celebrate by buying a Manino's Cherry pie.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    No problem! No wrist, shoulder or collarbone problems for me!

On the other hand, I did break both elbows. My next goal is to regain the ability to feed myself. When that happens I think I will celebrate by buying a Manino's Cherry pie.
    Ouch! Sorry to hear that. How long 'till you can start rehab? Cherry pie sounds like a great incentive.

Best wishes.

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes! Things like this tend to happen in 3s. Quick, go pile up some mattresses, hop on you bike, and fall into them. Get a jump on fate!
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Wingra, 30 yr old KHS Mountain Bike, Used Yakima traile
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "My left knee and shoulder absorbed the brunt of the fall and my helmet also made solid contact with the road surface. "

The Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute says that any time your helmet hits the pavement, it should be retired and replaced. The foam is designed to give its all in a crash and doesn't retain enough integrity to provide protection for a 2nd fall. The BHSI goes so far as to say that if you drop a helmet on a hard surface it should be replaced.

JM2CW
    The difference between "Bold" and "Stupid"
    is often measured by the severity of your injuries.

63 yr old MTB newbie and his lovely bride

His: '08 Roubaix S-Works, ''11 Stumpjumper FSR Comp, '11 TriCross Comp, '11 Globe SS with Brooks B-17W saddle
    Hers:'08 Ruby Pro, '11 Safire FSR Comp, '11 TriCross Comp, '11 Skinny Benny SS with Brooks B-17 saddle
    Theirs: '10 Breezer 3-speed commuter

My Bikes
    Motobecane Sprint
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by va_cyclist View Post
    Are you maybe riding a little too close to the edge of the road?
    Yes I'm very close to the edge and not too surprised this eventually happened. Unfortunately this road is in such a state of disrepair that you either ride the edge, or the crown in the center, or skip it altogether and plan another route. My plan is the latter.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last too crashes were due to the same factor - fatigue causing poor judgement.
    So be careful - particularly on long hot rides when your mind and reactions are not so fast.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.