Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 08-15-09, 11:09 PM   #1
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We all had a good laugh

We used to have a mail carrier (I'll call him Fred) who we were friendly with. He would take his afternoon break on our front stoop and visit with us. On hot, humid days he could always count on us for some cool refreshing drink.

Well Fred (not his real name of course) moved to a different delivery route which just happens to be on one of my favorite ride loops. Often times while I'm out on one of my bikes (mostly the Tour Easy these days), we'll see and wave to each other and occasionally have a few minutes to chat.

The other day my bride and I were having lunch in a local Restaurant when in comes Fred for a quick lunch break. He came over to our table and made the following statement...."Hey, you know that bike that you've got? It costs a lot of money!" My poor wife almost choked on her Turkey Wrap! I responded with, "Now you tell me!!" All three of us had a good chuckle over Fred stating the obvious.

Of course both my wife and I knew he was really just expressing his suprise at what a new Recumbent costs vs. a 'Regular bike'. He has a close friend who's seriously shopping for a 'bent and was thrilled to bump into us as he wanted to ask us where to shop. We all had a nice, quick visit and he was off to finish his route.

It felt good to be considered as a reliable source of bike related information. He was so thrilled to learn where to send his Buddy and since he knew us, he was quite confident that we were not steering him wrong. I've been getting a lot of information requests lately, and often from strangers.

Moral of the Story: Whether we're aware of it or not, people see us out there and they take notice of what they see. We are all bicycle ambassadors.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 08-15-09 at 11:14 PM.
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 03:54 AM   #2
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Make that - ambikeadors
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 07:57 AM   #3
bluegoatwoods

Bikes:
Yes. People actually do have a grudging respect for us. They can't afford to let it show very much because that would force them to wonder why they're not doing it themselves. So they fall back on a pretense that we're a little bit nuts or ridiculous. But it's hollow and they know it. A lot of them, deep down, wish they had the guts to do it. The pity of it is that it's so much easier than they imagine.

Though that's a bit off topic since Fred is honest enough to show his admiration. He's a bit more mature than many.
bluegoatwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 08:53 AM   #4
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Totally off topic but I know a great mail carrier joke. I can't tell it here or I'll risk being banned from BF for life.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 01:21 PM   #5
kenkayak

Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike
And I was So looking forward to another mail carrier joke!/Kenneth
kenkayak is offline   Reply With Quote