Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ cyclist beats 60+ driver

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This one you've got to read to believe.

Police say driver of Lexus attacked by bicyclist in Boca Raton

South Florida Sun Sentinel

1:09 p.m. EDT, August 19, 2009

A 69-year-old Delray Beach man found out the perils of maybe not doing enough to share the road with bicyclists.

He was confronted by a group of angry cyclists last week when they accused him of passing them on State Road A1A in Boca Raton a little too closely.

According to Boca Raton police, one cyclist grabbed Miles Barish while he was in his car and threatened to beat him up while other cyclists punched and kicked his 2008 Lexus convertible.

The cyclist, Thomas McDonald, 50, of Lighthouse Point, was arrested and charged on Thursday with simple assault and battery on a person 65 and older. He was also charged with burglary.

"I didn't even know it was coming," said Barish, who was stunned by the cyclists' reaction.

He was heading to dinner on A1A with his convertible top down when he came upon a group of cyclists riding in front of him. They were taking up the entire lane. He tapped his horn a couple of times to let them know he was passing, Barish said.

He went into the opposing lane, passed the group and then stopped for a light at Palmetto Park Road. That's when he said he felt someone grab his neck from behind.

"He said I came too close to him and I could have injured him," Barish said. "I didn't clip anybody. They surrounded my car. They walked on the hood of my car. They kicked in the doors."

According to a police report, some witnesses said Barish hit one of the bicycles as he was passing the bike pack. Barish denies it.

Now, he's got about $4,000 worth of damage to the car with dents all over it, including the hood and trunk. Even a speaker was torn out.

Barish isn't angry about the incident. He actually thinks the cyclists were lucky. Barish, who has a permit to carry a concealed weapon, was carrying a gun that day.

"In another minute or so I was going to take out my gun and take a couple of them out," he said. "I don't think the whole road belongs to them."

Angel Streeter can be reached at astreeter@sunsentinel.com or 561-243-6537.
Copyright © 2009, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Old 08-19-09, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I wonder if this is one of the groups that harasses slower cyclists on the road. If he went into the other lane and still came too close, then the cyclist's riding habits need to change.
Old 08-19-09, 01:11 PM
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Hey, it's South Florida, fer chrissakes! These jamokes were just angry 'cuz they didn't get elected to the Board of Directors for their condo or HOA, and needed to vent!!
Old 08-19-09, 01:25 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
I wonder if this is one of the groups that harasses slower cyclists on the road. If he went into the other lane and still came too close, then the cyclist's riding habits need to change.
That's his version of the facts. My bet is the cycle-gang has an alternate version.
Old 08-19-09, 01:36 PM
Just a Cyclist

Bikes: 08 Trek Madone 5.5, 07 Lemond Versailles-Carbon, 06 Lemond Croix de fer-True Temper, 95 Bianchi Eros-Chromoly

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
Your right. The action of the cyclist was not right. No wonder motorist do not like us. This is going to add to it there that's for sure. I hope they throw the book at the cyclist serves him right. There is no need for his attacking the driver or the other cyclists kicking his car. I have been riding for 16 years and am 56 years old and would not do what that cyclist did, and the way they were riding was wrong also.

I know drivers and people in general can be stupid when it comes to us cyclist's but what the cyclist did was not called for.
Old 08-19-09, 05:27 PM

Bikes: Rivendell Chevoit and a Panasonic 1986 7500 MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JBHoren
Hey, it's South Florida, fer chrissakes! These jamokes were just angry 'cuz they didn't get elected to the Board of Directors for their condo or HOA, and needed to vent!!

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/576017-boca-raton-florida-cyclists-beat-up-lexus-driver.html
Old 08-19-09, 06:04 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by gash44
I know drivers and people in general can be stupid when it comes to us cyclist's but what the cyclist did was not called for.
You're probably right. However, I'm old enough and have been around the block enough times not-to-form an opinion until I hear the other side's version of the facts.
Old 08-19-09, 06:37 PM

Bikes: Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've be extremely fortunate in that I have only been passed very close one time since I started riding again last November. Surprisingly, most drivers down here in SE Louisiana appear to be very courteous to bicyclist and give us lots of room when passing.

Then last week while my wife and I were riding through Fountianbleu State Park, a car came REAL close to hitting us. The speed limit is 15mph in the park. Well posted, so it is not a secret. We were doing between 14 and 15mph. We were riding on the right side of the road, her behind me, no on coming cars. Suddenly, with lots of visibility, out of nowhere a car comes within less than a foot of my left side. He, nor his wife, looked over, they just kept going. I looked down and saw the car's license plate - yes - you guessed it - Florida. I mentally made allowances for him.

Oh well -
Old 08-19-09, 06:59 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach
... the cyclists were lucky. Barish, who has a permit to carry a concealed weapon, was carrying a gun that day. "In another minute or so I was going to take out my gun and take a couple of them out," he said.
Worth remembering next time a car cuts you off in traffic. They're armed.
Old 08-19-09, 07:01 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Would like to hear the whole story from a disinterested witness.
Old 08-20-09, 03:45 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
{According to a police report, some witnesses said Barish hit one of the bicycles as he was passing the bike pack. Barish denies it.}

Even so. still no reason to bash the guys car. Call the police and let them handle it.

Like others have said , there are two sides to the story. And for him to say he was about to pull the gun and take a few out makes you want to never get into it with someone, you just never know.
Old 08-20-09, 04:47 AM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there are more crazy senior drivers in Flori-duh than crazy, mid-life crisis cyclists

(if you don't count the crackheads, meth addicts, and other bike bums)

but yes, battering a cager is rather bad form, wot?
Old 08-20-09, 06:24 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
There are people in this world who live to hate. (making no claim here for either side) You'd think though that after reaching 50 they might have calmed down a bit.
Old 08-20-09, 08:26 AM
Junior WHAT?!?!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sorry but I have to side w/the driver on this. These damn cycling gangs are getting out of hand and reflect badly on all of us. They scare me.

Don
Old 08-20-09, 09:56 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by molarface
I'm sorry but I have to side w/the driver on this. These damn cycling gangs are getting out of hand and reflect badly on all of us. They scare me.

Don
Not the bikers it is the dudes on scooters that scare me.
Old 08-20-09, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pull that gun on me and I will take it away from you, you old bastard and shove it where you won't like it.
Old 08-20-09, 02:32 PM
reTIRED

Bikes: raleigh,trike x,puch mixte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when,when you get out of the morgue?