My Bikes
    2009 FUJI Roubaix 2009 Raleigh Cadent FT 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some newbie questions What do i need?

Hello,

In the last year i have lost 86lb by diet and exercise and i run 12 to 15 miles a week, now i want to incorporate cycling into the mix i am joining a local club and i want to do this the right way and learn the proper way to ride.
    So my question is
    What grear should i have and need
    Clothes, tools. tubes???????
    I will be riding group and solo Commuted every day to the train 5mi one way and whats the best way to carry the needed items.
    Chuck

Road Bike
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Commuter
    2011 Trek PDX

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That local club might help you. There's usually a wide membership of experience, all the way to beginners. The experienced riders will help you and many clubs are associated with a bike shop. Some shops give clubs a club discount on purchases.

The gear (equipment) that you use will be based on your personal budget. Some individuals can afford to spend quite a bit for really good gear from the very get go. Some are more cautious, reasoning that if riding is not my cup of tea, then why spend so much at the beginning. Or alternatively, as a rider becomes more experienced, his/her level of conditioning will improve. Then the rider will spend more money to replace the used bike.

If you're overweight and have been losing weight, you may still be in transition, still wanting to lose more weight. If losing weight has been the immediate goal, then maybe you had little time to figure out this whole Pilates thing about core muscles. I say this because riding, in particular road bike riding, requires a sitting position that has demands on the body. The stronger the core muscles, the more fitness you bring to begin with. You can do road riding and core fitness simultaneously, or you can start Pilates type training for the core and back now.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on losing the weight of a small person!

To start, you need a working bike roughly the right size for you, places to ride, and desire. Ride, ride, ride and go from there.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Week Day Commuter.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as weight go i'm at goal weight now (Could lose another 10lb) the bike i have a Raleigh Cadent FT 1 just got it for my BD i figure it a good starter bike.
    Where do i go from here?
    Chuck

Road Bike
    Commuter
    2011 Trek PDX

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    The Raleigh looks like a fun bike. Things you might consider are HELMET, spare tube, tire levers, patch kit, pump, multi-tool, lock, and a small seat bag to carry it all. If you are interested in milage or speed a bike computer is an option. For commuting a rear rack and a set of panniers are good. It depends on how much you have to carry. You can also use a dry bag and just bungee it to the rear rack. A pair of cycling shorts, if your rides are going to get longer, and rain gear if you plan on riding in the rain. Eventually, you may want to get shoes and "clipless" pedals. It is just like any other sport--the list can go on, and on, and on...............

Keep up the good work!

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
    That local club might help you. There's usually a wide membership of experience, all the way to beginners. The experienced riders will help you and many clubs are associated with a bike shop. Some shops give clubs a club discount on purchases.
    That's what I was thinking too. If you visualize any kind of group rides in your future, you'll want to have similar equipment to the rest of regular the riders.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll take up the commuting part.

There are two places to carry stuff. On you, or on the bike. Some people prefer backpacks or messenger bags. I used to be a backpack guy. Wore one for years--decades even. Then I got a bike. Now I prefer to carry stuff on the bike.

I have a rack on the back and use a rack trunk bag for everyday commuting gear: roadside repair stuff, lunch, work clothes, lock, etc. I also have panniers for days when I combine errands with commuting.

Since you already own a decent bike, you could rig it for commuting by adding a rack and fenders, then add a bike for club rides.

It's entirely possible to own one bike that will work well commuting and in club rides--don't let anyone tell you different. I own such a bike myself. If you count only fair-weather commuting, I own two such bikes.

The purpose-built four-seasons all-conditions high-speed commuter is my Trek Portland. Low-end road bikes from Trek and Giant (others too I suppose) all have rack and fender mounts. Midline and high-priced road bikes generally do not. My other bike is an older, low-end Trek 1000. Both bikes have racks. Both bikes fit fenders. Both bikes are fast.

There are two ways to deal with the clothing issue: wear work clothes and ride slow so you don't sweat, or wear cycling clothes, carry work clothes and ride fast. My preference is the latter. If you choose that way as well, plan to arrive 15 to 20 minutes early at work to allow time to cool down, clean up, and change.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride, ride, ride. Then ride some more.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm!!

No one thought to refer the OP to my article on what to carry with you???

For SHAME!

http://denver.yourhub.com/Parker/Sto...ry~646770.aspx
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Hmm!!

For SHAME!

First thing I thought of and just went your posting about it to copy the adress- went to post with a note about the wealth of knowledge amongst our members and you have posted this.

You are too quick Dnvr.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Week Day Commuter.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    I'll take up the commuting part.

There are two places to carry stuff. On you, or on the bike. Some people prefer backpacks or messenger bags. I used to be a backpack guy. Wore one for years--decades even. Then I got a bike. Now I prefer to carry stuff on the bike.

I have a rack on the back and use a rack trunk bag for everyday commuting gear: roadside repair stuff, lunch, work clothes, lock, etc. I also have panniers for days when I combine errands with commuting.

Since you already own a decent bike, you could rig it for commuting by adding a rack and fenders, then add a bike for club rides.

It's entirely possible to own one bike that will work well commuting and in club rides--don't let anyone tell you different. I own such a bike myself. If you count only fair-weather commuting, I own two such bikes.

The purpose-built four-seasons all-conditions high-speed commuter is my Trek Portland. Low-end road bikes from Trek and Giant (others too I suppose) all have rack and fender mounts. Midline and high-priced road bikes generally do not. My other bike is an older, low-end Trek 1000. Both bikes have racks. Both bikes fit fenders. Both bikes are fast.

There are two ways to deal with the clothing issue: wear work clothes and ride slow so you don't sweat, or wear cycling clothes, carry work clothes and ride fast. My preference is the latter. If you choose that way as well, plan to arrive 15 to 20 minutes early at work to allow time to cool down, clean up, and change.
    Thanks, i have been using a backpack i do have a rear rack and have been looking at trunk bags for it.
    I have been riding in my uniform to work cuz if i sweat they wont know the difference since i do at work any ways LOL
    Chuck

Road Bike
    Commuter
    2011 Trek PDX

Week Day Commuter.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Hmm!!

For SHAME!

I read it Thanks that helps a lot
    Chuck

Road Bike
    Commuter
    2011 Trek PDX