Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Drawing the line (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/574862-drawing-line.html)

The Weak Link 08-16-09 05:35 PM

Drawing the line

I planned on doing a club 50 miler on Saturday, which would have been my longest and hardest club ride to date. In anticipation, on Thursday and Friday I ate, in good conscience, everything in sight for the purpose of generating huge amounts of soon-to-be-needed glycogen.

Then on Friday night my wife informed me that because of scheduling requirements on her part (which never panned out) I would have limited riding time on Saturday. I only got to ride 20 miles, and leisurely ones at that. This resulted in me having about 12 times more glycogen then I could possibly have used Saturday morning. In other words, the two days before I had very simply just pigged out.

This led to much philosophical pondering over the weekend:
1) If your intentions were good, is carbohydrate loading in the name of cycling still pigging out?
2) How far do you have to ride in order for pigging out to qualify for carbohydrate loading?
3) Is pigging out/carbohydrate loading a quantum phenomenon, which in one universe it's pigging out and in another it's carbohydrate loading?
4) And if the answer to the above is yes, then isn't it true that the line between pigging out and carbohydrate loading is probabilist only, rather than absolute?

I'll check back with you in a bit. I'm getting hungry so I'm driving up to Arbys.

Wildwood 08-16-09 05:49 PM

Gluttony is gluttony.

cyclinfool 08-16-09 05:59 PM

Pigging out is a relative thing.

LAJ 08-16-09 06:04 PM

Even more distressing is the wife expecting you to put the kabosh on a ride you had planned on.

rdmjr 08-16-09 06:10 PM

Driving to Arby's? Ride to Arby's instead!

galyons 08-16-09 06:14 PM

Simple. Longer rides or smaller trough! It is, ultimately, your decision.

RoMad 08-16-09 06:18 PM

Thats kind of like saying "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" Pigging out is Pigging out and of course I would never do that.
Ice Cream doesn't count does it? :rolleyes:

The Weak Link 08-16-09 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 9498279)
Gluttony is gluttony.

Well, I meant the question to be philosophical, not theological. That would be WAY over my head.

My family returned from a trip to Walmart (a venial sin in some circles, I'm sure) and I had just returned from a penitential 17 mile ride, so I did not go to Arbys.

Side-stepping discussions of my fallen nature, just how far do you have to plan on riding before pigging out qualifies as carbohydrate loading?

And then does it matter if you end up not really putting the miles in?

Retro Grouch 08-16-09 07:02 PM

You didn't over eat. You just under rode.

Happens to me all the time.

JanMM 08-16-09 07:28 PM

First time I've ever encountered probabilist or probabalistic in a discussion online or anywhere.
Makes me want some ice cream. Fat loading, anyone?

edp773 08-16-09 07:56 PM

The idea is to replace fat and protein with carbs and not to increase your calorie intake. But, if you ride to be able to eat more then do it.

BikeWNC 08-16-09 08:33 PM

Carbo loading is a myth. The most important meal is the one you eat after a workout.

billydonn 08-16-09 08:33 PM

I'm no expert but somehow I suspect that the nutritional "loading" idea, presupposes a certain amount of previous unloading. ;) Certainly there was a deficit in subsequent unloading, as per Retro Grouch.

BlazingPedals 08-16-09 08:49 PM

I'm going to get a snack while I think about it.

BikeArkansas 08-16-09 09:26 PM

From my personal experiences, you hit the very number I consider when getting ready for a ride. If my ride on Saturday morning is planned at 50 or more miles I eat a good hearty meal Friday night that often includes pasta. For less than 50 miles I eat normally, which is much less than it was in the past as I am trying to get much leaner. If the ride ends up at 70 or more miles I eat well on Saturday night also. The body needs the nutrition after the ride.

Barrettscv 08-17-09 03:09 AM

I worry about having a good breakfast, what I will eat during the event, and trying to carefully eat after the event.

Pigging-out is not an option.

Michael

kr32 08-17-09 03:33 AM

I have never eaten days before a ride for that ride. I eat I ride I eat.

cranky old dude 08-17-09 03:54 AM

I've chosen to return to my childhood.

At 220+ pounds I started doing the following:
*drink when I'm thirsty
*eat when I'm hungry
*stop eating when I'm no longer hungry (I don't care what's left on the plate or how nuch food you prepared, I'm not HUNGRY!)
*ride my bike whenever I want to for as long as I want to.

Now, at 190 pounds, I'm not certain I understand your question. :D

Dellphinus 08-17-09 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool (Post 9498326)
Pigging out is a relative thing.

I know what you mean- every time my wifes relatives show up, we pig out. They always bring deserts.

turbo2L 08-17-09 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by cranky old dude (Post 9500489)
I've chosen to return to my childhood.

At 220+ pounds I started doing the following:
*drink when I'm thirsty
*eat when I'm hungry
*stop eating when I'm no longer hungry (I don't care what's left on the plate or how nuch food you prepared, I'm not HUNGRY!)
*ride my bike whenever I want to for as long as I want to.

Now, at 190 pounds, I'm not certain I understand your question. :D

Exactly! I've found that hunger is just your body's way of telling you it's hungry, and feeling uncomfortably full is your body's way of telling you it's uncomfortably full.

turbo2L 08-17-09 04:59 AM

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but by the time 2 days rolls around, if you haven't burned the carb calories you took in, your body has stored it as fat, no? Fat cells I believe are the only long-term energy atorage system your body has.

In wrestling we did complex carb loading, but it was only the night before, and it did help, along with smple carb loading (sugar candy, sports drinks, etc.) just before the event after weigh-in.

Snickers and Gatoraide is my preferred pick-me-up when I need a break.

BluesDawg 08-17-09 05:25 AM

Pigging out is fine if that is your goal. But if you want to lose weight or maintain a weight, you'll need to eat less or ride more or both.

It doesn't take an awful lot of preloading to get through a 50 mile ride. A good breakfast and some snacks during the ride will do it.

BikeWNC 08-17-09 05:40 AM

I've done most of my long rides this year without eating breakfast. I just eat on the bike about 250 cal per hour. We all have thousands of calories stored as fat. The trick is teaching the body to access them. There is no reason to eat anything special the night before or even breakfast the morning of a ride.

big john 08-17-09 07:54 AM

I was 250 pounds in high school and I wrestled and lifted weights 2 hours per day, so pigging out became a way of life for me. Sometimes I pig out to the extreme after a ride, but not as much as I used to.
I have to agree with BikeWNC, it doesn't matter so much what you eat the night before, it's more important what you eat during the ride. I would never skip breakfast, however.
Not trying to sound eliteist, but a 50 mile ride doesn't require a lot of fueling, unless there is a ton of climbing.

BikeWNC 08-17-09 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 9501197)
I was 250 pounds in high school and I wrestled and lifted weights 2 hours per day, so pigging out became a way of life for me. Sometimes I pig out to the extreme after a ride, but not as much as I used to.
I have to agree with BikeWNC, it doesn't matter so much what you eat the night before, it's more important what you eat during the ride. I would never skip breakfast, however.
Not trying to sound eliteist, but a 50 mile ride doesn't require a lot of fueling, unless there is a ton of climbing.

After experimenting, I agree with what Hammer Nutrition says about breakfast before a ride. That is, if you can't eat at least 3 hours before the start, skip it. Eat a gel or have a bit of carb sport drink right before the start instead. It's worked for me and I've felt better on the bike. I've never been hungry on a ride when skipping breakfast and eating properly on the bike.