Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: What to buy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to buy

A few years ago I sold my road bike and quit riding my 100-150 miles a week. I now have a 20 year old mountain bike that I ride 80-100 miles a week. I like the bike just fine but my shoulders and hands get a bit tired, and sometimes numb from leaning forward and putting weight on my hands.

So, I'm looking at a Cadillac AV Sport 2010 Comfort Bike ($399) or a Cadillac AV-T Touring bike with Nuvinci shifting ($849).

Both are from Costco because I absolutely love the idea of being able to return things if they don't work out. However, I don't want to abuse that privilege so I'd like to buy the right bike the first time.

We are now in central Florida so there are no serious hills and I have miles and miles of hard surfaced bike paths and bike lanes.

I would appreciate comments on these two bikes based on the assumption that I will ride < 100 miles most weeks and want to be comfortable doing so.

Thanks,

Mac

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For $849 you can get a heck of a bike. A real bike!! Visit a few bike shops and look around at the road and touring bikes.
    The shop I work at has several Jamis and Raleigh bikes for under $850.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast after the car-bike accident. R.I.P.
    * * 2014 or 2015 CAAD 10 3 coming soon. Decision time. * *

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that it is nice to be able to return items, but looking at the features on the Cadillac AVT, I think you can get more bike for your buck. I would recommend looking around a little more.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    delp767, what kind of road bike did you have before?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    raleigh,trike x,puch mixte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put a set of ergo grips and a longer adj. riser on my mojave and fixed the problem.
    It's Not the destination, It's the Ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what to buy

there's lots of bikes under 800, ebay has tons. I got a really nice cannondale 3.0 for 200. you need to look around ,you can get something real nice, also ride as many as you can, to make sure of size,ect.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A taller stem and a new handlebar with more rise will make that old mountain bike more comfortable while you look for a new bike.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.