Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another example of how bad I am

When Usain Bolt broke the 100 meters record last week, he hit 28.58 mph between 60 and 80 meters. Except for going downhill, I have almost never gone 28.58 on my bike.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran track in college at the national level, then coached HS track and field for many years. I have also been on the same track when some of the world's best were running. Most times the winner of a race is just a little better than the other guys. The dominance that Usain Bolt has over his peers is unprecedented. I cannot imagine where he will be when he hits his peak 5 years or so down the road. In the past the fastest flat speed on the track was done by 200 meter runners around 125 meters into the race. Bolt has taken the 100 to a whole new level.

Now Kerlenbach, with the proper training program you too can hit 30+mph on the flats on a bike.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post

Now Kerlenbach, with the proper training program you too can hit 30+mph on the flats on a bike.
    If you hit 30mph on a bike- flats will occur so don't tempt fate.

I hate to say it- and I do believe that Usain is special- But I wonder what he is on?

I know this is just me being suspicious but so many times has someone "Special" come along and the performance has been aided by some means. Just hope I am wrong
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    If you hit 30mph on a bike- flats will occur so don't tempt fate.

I hate to say it- and I do believe that Usain is special- But I wonder what he is on?

I know this is just me being suspicious but so many times has someone "Special" come along and the performance has been aided by some means. Just hope I am wrong
    Jamaican yams.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Jamaican yams.
    Works just as good as the turtle soup recipe the women's track coach from China used to make in the early 90's.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    '79 Schwinn Varsity
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I regularly cruise at 28 mph +....have to maintain that speed to keep away from all the 25 year old blondes that are after me all the time....

sorry, excuse me, daydreaming again.

My Bikes
    Rivendell Bleriot and a Panasonic 1986 7500 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLB58 View Post
    I regularly cruise at 28 mph +....have to maintain that speed to keep away from all the 25 year old blondes that are after me all the time....

It really is not funny...they chase me too. Once I had to haul azz from Lehigh to the Cape. Saved at the toll bridge. Those babes caught another 50+ once and the poor buggar died from the...ummm
    ... abuse. He was when they found him.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLB58 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post

It really is not funny...they chase me too. Once I had to haul azz from Lehigh to the Cape. Saved at the toll bridge. Those babes caught another 50+ once and the poor buggar died from the...ummm
    ... abuse. He was when they found him.
    You must both be drinking the Jamaican water but it is having another effect.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerlenbach View Post
    When Usain Bolt broke the 100 meters record last week, he hit 28.58 mph between 60 and 80 meters. Except for going downhill, I have almost never gone 28.58 on my bike.
    I remember hitting 29.5 last summer, down a 6 degree slope. I was braking a bit to hold down the speed. That was the fastest I've gone since getting back into biking a couple of years ago.

I'm glad you cited Bolt's numbers. Gives me some perspective.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could beat him in a century, or down a steep hill. The top runners always amaze.
    The top marathoners run 13 mph for 2 hours!

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerlenbach View Post
    Most of the time Mr. Bolt isn't going that fast either and most of us could easily dust him in the 10,000 or even 1,500 meters.

Whoops, I hear footsteps!
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personal best is 31.4 a few weeks ago on a club ride. We were about 10 miles out and had been cruising at about 19-23. We turned a corner and the pace line started to speed up. I hung with them for about a mile, but dropped when the HR maxed out and the lungs gave out. The rest of the line made to to about 35. The stopped about a mile up at a light and we regrouped.

My solo best (not being pulled) is 29.9 Just can't seem to break 30 solo yet. But were getting there. Top speed down hill is 34, did that in upstate NY this summer, and smoked the brakes to do that. Could have topped 40 I imagine if I had the b@lls It's just that above 30 these old eyes tear so much I can't see, and I'm a bit paranoid about hitting a pot hole at high speed. Don't have many potholes in So. Fla, but don't have any hills either. At 61 a high speed crash would probably put an end to the biking career.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of Usain-did you see what he did to the 200m world record yesterday??? Gotta get me some of those yams!

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Wingra, 30 yr old KHS Mountain Bike, Used Yakima traile
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the Taylor House ride in Flagstaff (where I averaged 13.7 mph) I hit 39.1 on a long downhill that nearly killed me going the other way.
    The difference between "Bold" and "Stupid"
    is often measured by the severity of your injuries.

63 yr old MTB newbie and his lovely bride

His: '08 Roubaix S-Works, ''11 Stumpjumper FSR Comp, '11 TriCross Comp, '11 Globe SS with Brooks B-17W saddle
    Hers:'08 Ruby Pro, '11 Safire FSR Comp, '11 TriCross Comp, '11 Skinny Benny SS with Brooks B-17 saddle
    Theirs: '10 Breezer 3-speed commuter