Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many 50+er's have traded their roadbike...

for a 29'er?...as in wide tall tired mountain bike with upright bars? Just wondered how many get to a point of not caring about how fast they are going and a bit more about ride quality and riding more comfortably on varied road surfaces?

Randomhead
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would trade my road bike for a 650b'er if I wanted to do that. You can ride on dirt roads with a bike like that, and it's still relatively fast. Similarly, a cross bike can take really large tires and is perfect for most of the conditions around where I live. I have ridden mountain bikes on the road quite a bit and see no reason to do that unless it's the only bike you can afford and you live in an area where mtbing is really compelling.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride quality takes many forms. How easy is it to pedal? How much effort does it take to go up a hill? I got a flat bar not that long ago and while it is different it is not more comfortable than my road bike. I have a Trek 800 as well and it is not more comfortable than my road bike. It is about the same only slower unless I happen to decide to hit the dirt for some reason. I don’t think you can say a Hybrid or a MTB is more comfortable to a road bike if you already are riding a road bike. Maybe if you were asking about a bent?

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count me in - three weeks later, I sold the old roadbike, and never looked back.....

My Bikes
    Litespeed Classic (Campy), Trek 930, Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never trade in my road bike, but I am seriously considering one of these....

http://www.salsacycles.com/fargoComp09.html

My Bikes
    Motobecane Sprint
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went the other way. I bought a 29'er to return to riding but soon realized I missed my old road bikes so I got one of them also. My 29'er wasn't seeing much use so its been on long term loan to a friend's daughter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RayM View Post
    I went the other way. I bought a 29'er to return to riding but soon realized I missed my old road bikes so I got one of them also. My 29'er wasn't seeing much use so its been on long term loan to a friend's daughter.
    Ditto. Started back on the road with a Fisher Kaitai which led me to a Lemond Reno.
    Then the aluminum Reno took me to a carbon Giant
    And then both the Kaitai and the Reno were purged to make space for my Jamis.

So... 29'er: Zero; Roadies: Two
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking of adding a 29er mtb to my stable but not as a replacement to any road bike. I'd like to have a cross bike too for that matter. I guess I could stop dropping the hints about a Porsche Boxster S and get another bike but I might be selling short if I did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twenty years ago, I sold an old Reynolds 531 frame Raleigh road bike and bought this...

...and last week just bought another old Reynolds framed Raleigh road bike to rebuild.

ah... the circle of life...

Greg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My main concession to father time has been raising the bars on my road bikes until they are only about 1" below the saddle. My neck and back like it better than 4" below.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to a 26/20.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Offed mine for a LWB recumbent. Now that's comfort. bk

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to have a 29er, but not as a replacement for my road bike.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How about both?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not be able to ride such a bike on the road. I prefer sports cars to trucks. The road bike is so much more fun. As to ride quality, a properly designed ti, carbon or steel frame is more than adequate. Then too, with a touring or cyclocross frame you can run wider lower pressure tires: as wide as 38 mm.

I used to ride a touring bike with 38 mm tires long ago. I put new wheels and 25 mm tires on it and it was so much faster and enjoyable to ride. I went from truck to sports car except for the too heavy frame.

One of my older (66) friends who used to race cross country switched from a full suspension ATB to a 29 hard tail. He says the comfort is about as good and has adapted to the slower acceleration. He changed out his 22 ring for a 20 for the climbs. He also uses smaller rings for the mid and large ones.

Comfort is somewhat dependant on how one rides. Off-road you're off the saddle on the rough stuff and I am as well on road.

Al

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly not me.

If I had to cut myself down to only 1 bike, it would be a conventional road bike. I've done other styles of bicycling but, through the years, I've had a lot more fun on road bikes than with anything else.

My Bikes
    Giant TCX, Schwinn Sierra, Diamondback Outlook
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I turned 50 (last year) I wanted a road bike for the speed and light weight but wasn't thrilled about their agressive riding position or comfort. Started looking at flat bars, 29's, et al and eventually/reciently (through some good advice here) ended up with a cyclocross with 30c tires. A little like kissing your sister to the road bike crowd but it is working perfecly for me. Specificly, I like the multiple hand & body position capability, low weight, wheel size and ride quality of the cyclo. Kind of like a hybrid road bike vs a hybrid MTB. I'll likely get around to putting some 28C road tires on in in the spring but to be honest, don't see any pressing need. My son now has a road bike and we can keep pase with each other nicely "as is". Besides, She'll already go allot faster than a guy with my reaction times should probobly be doing anyway

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeHooker View Post
    eventually/reciently (through some good advice here) ended up with a cyclocross with 30c tires. A little like kissing your sister to the road bike crowd but it is working perfecly for me.
    As near as I can tell, you're the only person in the whole world that bike is supposed to make happy.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One bike surely doesn't fit all and if given one bike a Cyclocross with a couple of wheelsets would do as a compromise. I am pretty much a pure roadie. But...I have moved out to the boonies and now live on a dirt road. So no forays out the door for casual roadbiking when time is short around the subdivision any longer. My road bike now has to always go in my car to where the road is paved. I know if I gave up my road bike or perhaps even converted to a cyclocross, I would miss the speed and competition with my roadie friends. So there in lies my dillemma. I believe the only solution is another bike and am leaning toward a nice aluminum mid/high end hardtail 29'er mountain bike. I am tallish and don't particularly like a high BB and I am no stump jumper but need something that will work well for the pea gravel, relatively smooth dirt roads and or occassional slow ride on a paved bike path with non cycling friends. Guess I need another bike.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Campag4life; 08-21-09 at 07:13 AM.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You always need N+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
    I am tallish and don't particularly like a high BB and I am no stump jumper but need something that will work well for the pea gravel, relatively smooth dirt roads and or occassional slow ride on a paved bike path with non cycling friends. Guess I need another bike.
    Cheers.
    My cyclocross bike has a very high BB. It's not noticeable and does not negatively impack handling. Many would argue that it improves handling. I subscribe to that view.

Al

My Bikes
    Trek 750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hung up my road bike and got a TREK 750 hybrid over 20 years ago, before I even turned 35. Been riding it as my only bike ever since.

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm keeping my road bikes, but I did recently pick this beauty up:

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
    One bike surely doesn't fit all and if given one bike a Cyclocross with a couple of wheelsets would do as a compromise. I am pretty much a pure roadie. But...I have moved out to the boonies and now live on a dirt road. So no forays out the door for casual roadbiking when time is short around the subdivision any longer. My road bike now has to always go in my car to where the road is paved. I know if I gave up my road bike or perhaps even converted to a cyclocross, I would miss the speed and competition with my roadie friends. So there in lies my dillemma. I believe the only solution is another bike and am leaning toward a nice aluminum mid/high end hardtail 29'er mountain bike. I am tallish and don't particularly like a high BB and I am no stump jumper but need something that will work well for the pea gravel, relatively smooth dirt roads and or occassional slow ride on a paved bike path with non cycling friends. Guess I need another bike.
    Cheers.
    Cycle cross season is approaching. I have a buddy, with whom I ride on occasion, who always rides his cycle cross bike on the road this time of year. He is fast on the cycle cross bike as well as his road bike. I would suggest getting as nice a cycle cross bike as you can afford/meets your needs. You will be able to ride it on the dirt and the road. If you have enough power, it will not make much difference.

I have a road bike, time trial bike, track bike and tandem. I used to have a full suspension mountain bike. If I were going to ride on good dirt roads designed for cars and extend the ride to paved roads, I would get a cycle cross bike.

They will have to pry my road bike with my 11 cm seat to bar drop from my cold dead hands.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't do that.

I just might buy a recumbent. I have a pot belly and a grey beard so I guess it would be OK.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast