Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New Club: The Frigid Rigids?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-08, 07:53 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

OK, I named it, but we can certainly change it. Me and Tom might be the only ones actually cold, and he doesn't ride his in the winter.

Let's clean up all these bikes we just bought and post pics of them in the next few days. Anyone else a member of this club? Celebrating the come-back of rigid MTBs!
Old 01-08-08, 08:11 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are several members of this forum who are from Wisconsin. At least another 10 or so.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 01-08-08, 08:12 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, but do they have rigid MTBS? If so, SHOW THEM!
Old 01-08-08, 08:18 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Trek 820 mountain bike has a suspension fork. My Bridgestone CB-1 has a rigid frame, but is technically a city bike, albeit with a frame that is very similar to their mountain bikes. Close enough to qualify, I'd say.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 01-08-08, 08:29 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'll be an honorary member, because it's rarely frigid down here! Chilly, yes. Frigid? Rarely!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-08-08, 08:33 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to look at a $30 Craigslist Trek 820 tomorrow night. If it fits...
Old 01-08-08, 09:42 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I'm a charter member of the rigid steel club (not so frigid lately though).
Old 01-11-08, 12:05 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not frigid but rigid.

Old 01-11-08, 12:08 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good start with the photos! I'm waiting for just the littlest sliver of sunshine to take my beauty "bike shot".

Edit: I just stuck "Frigid" in there because it rhymed, and because, well, I can't really imagine anything non-frigid at this time of year. Everyone is a member, even those in South America!
Old 01-11-08, 12:14 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
No pics yet but the Kona Explosif is still about that I bought 13 years ago. Out on loan again but it now has a pair of Manitou Suspension forks from the Era fitted. To be honest- 1" of movement and then "Klunk" was the height of suspension in those days. Must still have the original Project ll forks about somewhere so will try to get it back into OM condition.

And this bike was the one I learnt to fall safely at speed on. Fast downhills with rigid forks taught you that- I had enough of them.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-11-08, 12:50 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So does it have to be a recent purchase? I've never left the
rigid scene.

Is this Frigid enough?

Last edited by cranky old dude; 01-11-08 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 01:35 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My diamonback has a suspension fork. Havent ridden it in 3 years, but will start getting it ready again this weekend

I guess I should add I am primarily a roadie.
Old 01-11-08, 02:01 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bcoppola
I'm going to look at a $30 Craigslist Trek 820 tomorrow night. If it fits...
...and the size was right so I got it for $25. I've started tearing it down and didn't think to take a "before" pic. It's pretty dirty. And heavy. Stem, bars and seatpost are all steel with some rust on the bars. I made sure they weren't seized to the frame before buying; they'd been greased, thankfully. I'm looking for lighter alloy replacements on eBay. Should shed a few pounds.

Not sure of the vintage but it's an 820 "Antelope". Color is light blue with that "silly string/cobwebby" texture in dark blue. I'm guessing mid 80's to early 90's. And it's got those funky Biopace rings. We'll see if they feel too weird before replacing them.

It'll need a new chain and cables; to be expected.

So far in the teardown and degreasing the bearings, cassette, etc. seem to be in good shape but I'll bet it hasn't seen new grease in at least 10 years. Still have the BB and front hub to do. Surprisingly, the tires still hold air and aren't dryrotted.
Old 01-11-08, 02:16 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My Specialized Hard Rock is unfortunately in the shop after suffering a spoke pop last night. But the included rim truing will prepare it for going down the snowy streets this winter. It proved its capability in last years snows.

Old 01-11-08, 02:28 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by ad6mj
Not frigid but rigid. ...
That's my mountain bike situation, as well (see signature).

Mine is smaller than the one pictured and has handlebar extensions and black cable housings and no spoke protector.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Last edited by John E; 01-11-08 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Just gave away my ancient Ross Mt St Helens this past summer. Still have a Specialized Rock Hopper, but it has a front shock so I'm out in the cold on this one.
Old 01-11-08, 03:17 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, you are. No team jersey for you!

(LOL! The jersey could say "rigid member")
Old 01-12-08, 07:15 AM
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out in the cold here on two counts! One - we live in ND which is generally a lot colder than Wisconsin!
Two - no MT bike, can't ride an upright for medical reasons although with I could sometimes. Just ride a bent, but do it in the cold but not today with temp around 0! Going ice fishing instead! Heh!
Old 01-12-08, 03:09 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's the Scott, in final form:

Old 01-12-08, 03:10 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bobkat
Out in the cold here on two counts! One - we live in ND which is generally a lot colder than Wisconsin!
Yah! Bismarck is where we Minnesotas look to feel better about our own temps.
Old 01-12-08, 03:52 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobkat
It's colder than where I live in Wisconsin, but close to what central Wisconsin gets.

Your coldest day of the year has an average high of 20, low of -2.

Eau Claire, WI is high of 20, low of 2.

Minneapolis, MN is high of 21, low of 3.

Hayward, WI is high of 18, low of -3.

Verona, WI (5 miles from me) is high of 23, low of 5.

Old 01-12-08, 03:54 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Scott looks nice. Good clean lines. I see you are using toe clips.

Old 01-12-08, 04:01 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
It's colder than where I live in Wisconsin, but close to what central Wisconsin gets.

Your coldest day of the year has an average high of 20, low of -2.

Eau Claire, WI is high of 20, low of 2.

Minneapolis, MN is high of 21, low of 3.

Hayward, WI is high of 18, low of -3.

Verona, WI (5 miles from me) is high of 23, low of 5.
Yeah, but I don't think many of their days are "normal". You get some extreme* cold fronts from Canada through there. They can be 30 degrees below what we are in the Twin Cities.
Old 01-12-08, 04:02 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
The Scott looks nice. Good clean lines. I see you are using toe clips.
It really does, doesn't it... I've very attracted to this bike. And it's fast and light, too! I mean compared to my expectations, it's twice as fast.

And there's something very cool about the fit on it. It feels very, very good. It's long and low.
Old 02-03-08, 11:24 AM
King of the molehills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's mine!

At long last, I've completed my overhaul of a $25 Trek 820 Craigslist find. After about $110 worth of parts here it is:

New(used) bits, mostly from eBay: Alloy handlebar from Specialized Stumpjumper (replaced heavy rusted original steel), new Promax alloy seatpost (see handlebar), cosmetic second "LookIn" titanium rail saddle by Selle Royal, new $5.99 chain from hardware store, lightly used Shimano LX Biopace crankset 48-38-28. New Forte (Performance) toeclips, straps, grips, & tires, new cables, Koolstop pads. Still should get new housings before using in earnest.

Original derailleurs work well after cleaning & lubing. Overhauled hubs smooth as silk.

Trust me, it was in rough shape when I got it! Lots of degreaser, scrubbing, and general elbow grease. Wood chips and sand came out of the hubs and BB! Rear hub cones and the BB spindle were slightly pitted. I re-machined them using a Dremel while spinning in a drill press, and polishing with 400 grit wet sandpaper wrapped around a screwdriver shaft. Not something I'd do to high end or heavily pitted stuff but it worked well. Surprisingly the bearings themselves still looked good but I replaced a few questionable ones.

And so far I like that Biopace crank. I was going to get a standard round set but reading Sheldon Brown's article on Biopace convinced me to give it a try.

A quick round the block shakedown cruise felt good. It's a heavy frame but it feels nimble.

But...the plot thickens: there's a potentially interesting old Fuji lugged steel MTB on CL here, so those new bits might "migrate".

Last edited by bcoppola; 02-03-08 at 11:32 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.