Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Slow ride, take it easy

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Slow ride, take it easy

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-09, 07:18 PM

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Slow ride, take it easy

Went out today with the objective of keeping my heart rate under Zone 3. My typical ride is at the mid/upper Zone 4 range, so I thought I deserved and easy ride.

Let me tell you, that was one fun ride. No worries about average speed, just focused on keeping light pressure on the pedals and holding back. Not a single hill was hammered. Very relaxing and energizing. I should try this more often!

I don't fit slow rides into my routine often enough. Curious to know whether other regularly fit a "down" ride into their schedules?
Old 09-08-09, 07:31 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
My ride on Monday was such a ride, and I enjoyed it as well.

The only thing to disturb the ambience was a 60 year old rider who overtook me doing at least 5 mph more than I. In spite of the fact that I held my line and could see him from 100 yards back, he yelled "On your left!" at a volume sufficient to wake the dead. If I could have caught up with him I would have given him a sound thrashing.
Old 09-09-09, 06:06 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
My wife and I normally cruise along at ~15 MPH. We are not training, just riding. The rides are always pleasant except the hills which do jack up the heartrate
Old 09-09-09, 08:45 AM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride for the conditioning and sport of riding, so I very seldom ride slow. However, I do enjoy tour riding whether the tour is a couple days or a week. That is when I ride slow. With 50 extra pounds on the bike it does no good to hammer anyway. The only problem with slow riding on a tour is that the hills are a work out even slow with the extra weight.
Old 09-09-09, 08:58 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I led a club "A" ride on Labor Day into Princeton. Probably one of the only days of the year that I'd intentionally ride through town. I cruised some interesting neighborhoods, toured Carnegie Lake, and back down Nassau St. for a stop at the Witherspoon Bread Co. for chocolate almond croissants and coffee.

Some times it's good to slow down and smell the baked goods.

BTW, we got in a few hills and interval sprints on the way back.
Old 09-09-09, 09:29 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tntyz
I don't fit slow rides into my routine often enough. Curious to know whether other regularly fit a "down" ride into their schedules?
I will do 1 to 3 rides in Zone 2 every week. Time varies from 45 minutes to 3.5 hours depending on the build cycle or if it's a recovery week. Zone 2 builds the aerobic system and does not break down muscle tissue like Z3 and above do.
Old 09-09-09, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I will do 1 to 3 rides in Zone 2 every week. Time varies from 45 minutes to 3.5 hours depending on the build cycle or if it's a recovery week. Zone 2 builds the aerobic system and does not break down muscle tissue like Z3 and above do.
+1. Recovery rides are very important. As are days off.
Old 09-10-09, 05:04 PM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Went out today with the objective of keeping my heart rate under Zone 3. My typical ride is at the mid/upper Zone 4 range, so I thought I deserved and easy ride.

Let me tell you, that was one fun ride. No worries about average speed, just focused on keeping light pressure on the pedals and holding back. Not a single hill was hammered. Very relaxing and energizing. I should try this more often!

It toook me a long time to understand that a rest day IS a training day.
Old 09-10-09, 06:20 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My typical summer schedule is to ride every day but Mon & Fri. My Thursday ride is typically a recovery ride. because Wed is my hill fest. Although now that our daylight is gone in the mornings my schedule will change.
Old 09-10-09, 06:24 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Most of my rides are slow.

Old 09-10-09, 08:36 PM
Road Nazi Hunter

Bikes: Kuota Kredo, Litespeed Vortex, Aegis Victory, Burley Tandem, Cannondale Rush

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am the world's worst about riding in my lower ranges. Since all my riding companions are younger and stronger, I am usually riding near or over my limits with them. This is also why most amateur cyclists never get any better, base riding is necessary to build the size of the engine. This is just catching on in my area and all the bike shops sponsor "base" rides in the spring.

My main riding partner has been busy racing lately, so I have been riding a lot by myself lately. I have been seriously concentrating on riding in my lower zones. I will go out and give myself a max heart rate and I don't care how slow I am going, I will not let my heart rate climb. I have been doing this for roughly two to three months and have seen a good bit of progress. I am also riding longer, further and enjoying my trips into the country. I took a casual 65 mile ride into the country last week, got lost 3 times and had a great time. (until I ran out of food)

I agree wholeheartedly with this type of riding. My personal trainer friend who just happens to be a triathlete, does primarily base rides. He gets his big blasts in spin classes he teaches and in his competitions.

I used to ride with a sponsored triathlete who was invited to the ironman in Hawaii to ride for Pepsi, and his formula for going faster was simple> "Time in The Saddle", so just ride and enjoy it.
Old 09-10-09, 10:03 PM
Fear no hill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know the rhythm is right. Foghat!
Am I caller #9 .. Did I win?

In answer to your question. I sometimes set out to do that, but somehow It never ends up that way .. just too damned competitive I guess.
Old 09-11-09, 04:29 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Curious to know whether other regularly fit a "down" ride into their schedules?

I don't understand the concept. I ride at whatever pace my body wants. Some days I'm very slow. It surprised me last night by hammering all the way from work to home.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 09-14-09, 04:16 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
I don't understand the concept. I ride at whatever pace my body wants. Some days I'm very slow. It surprised me last night by hammering all the way from work to home.
+1
I just get on the bike and steer. My legs do the rest at whatever speed they want.
Old 09-14-09, 04:36 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Two important times to do those recovery rides.......the day after a really hard day and a couple days before an expected hard day. Spin along with cadence 90-100 while keeping the HR in Zone 3 or below. BEWARE of seeing another rider up the road you'd like to chase down. Just the devil playing tricks on you!!