User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Performance bibs

A few weeks ago I picked up some Performance Ultra 2 bibs. While I was suiting up this morning I noticed that the crotch was wearing through already. Right where, I had my on going chafing problem.Last week, I told my wife to follow me for a while and watch my legs and tell me if I'm kicking in or out. Sure enough I had my leg canted and pedaling with my ankle in and my knee looked like it was all over the place, but you really had to watch it, as it was very minor. I picked up some varus wedges for my shoes and put 1 in each shoe. After a 20 mile ride I noticed my left knee started bothering me and as the day wore on it hurt a little more. I took the wedge out of the left shoe and left the right one in. Today I had to focus on my right leg to keep it going up and down, straight as it should be. Anyhow after 35 miles I came back and checked myself out and it was all clear. Just a little red as it would be if you were sitting in a chair.

After all this time with saddles and shorts it was my pedaling, that was the culprit. Anyhow I took the bibs back to Performance. He asked if the saddle wore the shorts out and I told him I've been using a Brooks Swift and it's pretty smooth, so I didn't think that was the problem. They gave me a complete refund. I have to say, I think the Ultra 2 was more comfortable than the Hammer bibs.

I came home and order some Voler bibs and I hope they wear as good as the Hammer bibs.If they work out I'll order more later. I'm really happy I finally found out what it was, that was causing the chafing.

Also, one of the moderators sent me an e-mail last night and told me someone was trying to hack into my password. He told me they tried 5 times, before giving up. If any of you have an easy password you may think about making it a little harder. Mine is difficult, but I just made it more difficult.
    George

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you thought the Ultra 2's were comfortable why not just get them again?

Never mind , I reread your post and think I know.

My Bikes
    Salsa Casseroll
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    ...Also, one of the moderators sent me an e-mail last night and told me someone was trying to hack into my password. He told me they tried 5 times, before giving up. If any of you have an easy password you may think about making it a little harder. Mine is difficult, but I just made it more difficult.

What would one possibly gain by hacking into a bulletin board account? It's not like hacking email or ebay/amazon/paypal...
    Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoste View Post
    What would one possibly gain by hacking into a bulletin board account? It's not like hacking email or ebay/amazon/paypal...
    That's what I asked as well. Who knows, maybe he though that would open the door for something else. Some people may use the same password for everything, which wouldn't be smart.
    George

My Bikes
    Salsa Casseroll
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I asked as well. Who knows, maybe he though that would open the door for something else. Some people may use the same password for everything, which wouldn't be smart.
    I use the same password for most of the bulletin boards I frequent, but not for email or bank accounts. I once had someone hack my email, then send a "forgot password" request to ebay. Once they had my ebay password they bid on hundreds of IPhones, then sent pidgin english emails to the sellers:

Hello seller,

It a great pleasure of mine to be the winning
    bidder of your item and i will like to make payment
    fast for this item.I will add an addtional $100usd to
    the auction money for you to use and help me ship this
    item to the destination cause i will like this item to
    be ship to my only son there at West Africa and i will
    like you to help me and ship this item to him there.
    I will pay you via paypal and i will prefer you to get
    the item ship out via USPS GLOBAL EXPRESS MAIL. cause
    it is safer and faster.
    I will like you to get the item ship out immediately
    you receive the payment confirmation code from paypal
    that i have made the deposit of the funds into your
    paypal account and get the item ship out immediately.
    This is the address i will like you to help me and get
    the item ship out to

Shipping Information.
    Abiola Thomas
    No 3,Alade STREET,behind Odeda pry schl,Obantoko,
    Abeokuta,
    Ogun State,
    Nigeria.
    +2348058032785.

thanks get the item ship out immediately you receive
    the payment confirmation code from paypal.
    thanks

Nice, huh? I have to admit that although I turned the matter over to ebay, I did not bother to fly to Nigeria, poke around behind Odeda primary school and kick the livin' **** outta Mr. Thomas...just another of life's regrets, I guess.

As an afterward, I sent all of the sellers emails explaining that my account had been hacked. Some of the sellers still expected me to complete the transactions, and some left me negative feedback.

HooBoy...
    Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info regarding the attempted breakin.

But getting back on topic, I just wanted to say that I have always preferred regular (non-bib) shorts, primarily because I find that bibs pull tightly on the sitting area, if not at first, after a few kilometers of riding. I think this is what wears them out, and this is exacerbated by irregular pedaling technique.

Regular shorts, on the other, tend to adjust for sitting position and irregular motion by allowing the waistband to adjust itself. If the shorts or padding are not well-made, they might bunch up, but this usually only happens with cheap shorts.

If you don't like the feel of a tight wastband, you can always remove the elastic and hold the shorts up with suspenders (braces to you Brits) ("suspenders" in the UK are what we in North America call "garters," but that's a whole other subject, heh, heh). You can always adjust suspenders; you can't adjust the tightness of bibs.

L.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you worked out your problem. I'm curious why you named this thread the way you did which makes it look like the bibs were the problem although you say that they weren't.

I have a pair of the Performance Ultra II bibs which I think are very good and a good bit better than the older Ultras.

I wonder if the attempted hack wasn't just someone who thought your username was theirs.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    Thanks for the info regarding the attempted breakin.

But getting back on topic, I just wanted to say that I have always preferred regular (non-bib) shorts, primarily because I find that bibs pull tightly on the sitting area, if not at first, after a few kilometers of riding. I think this is what wears them out, and this is exacerbated by irregular pedaling technique.

Regular shorts, on the other, tend to adjust for sitting position and irregular motion by allowing the waistband to adjust itself. If the shorts or padding are not well-made, they might bunch up, but this usually only happens with cheap shorts.

If you don't like the feel of a tight wastband, you can always remove the elastic and hold the shorts up with suspenders (braces to you Brits) ("suspenders" in the UK are what we in North America call "garters," but that's a whole other subject, heh, heh). You can always adjust suspenders; you can't adjust the tightness of bibs.

L.
    Thanks I never looked at it that way. I didn't have any problems with my regular PI shorts. For the most part the Performance bibs had loser straps than the Hammer shorts. I got the EXL bibs from Hammer and VeloWear and I could swim in them. The large fit pretty nice in the large, but as you said, they did bunch up every so often. I called VeloWear yesterday and ordered a large and I'll have to see how they fit. I'll have to see if it's to late to change the order to regular shorts. Thanks for the tip.
    George

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few weeks ago I picked up some Performance Ultra 2 bibs. While I was suiting up this morning I noticed that the crotch was wearing through already. Right where, I had my on going chafing problem.Last week, I told my wife to follow me for a while and watch my legs and tell me if I'm kicking in or out. Sure enough I had my leg canted and pedaling with my ankle in and my knee looked like it was all over the place, but you really had to watch it, as it was very minor. I picked up some varus wedges for my shoes and put 1 in each shoe. After a 20 mile ride I noticed my left knee started bothering me and as the day wore on it hurt a little more. I took the wedge out of the left shoe and left the right one in. Today I had to focus on my right leg to keep it going up and down, straight as it should be. Anyhow after 35 miles I came back and checked myself out and it was all clear. Just a little red as it would be if you were sitting in a chair.

After all this time with saddles and shorts it was my pedaling, that was the culprit. Anyhow I took the bibs back to Performance. He asked if the saddle wore the shorts out and I told him I've been using a Brooks Swift and it's pretty smooth, so I didn't think that was the problem. They gave me a complete refund. I have to say, I think the Ultra 2 was more comfortable than the Hammer bibs.

I came home and order some Voler bibs and I hope they wear as good as the Hammer bibs.If they work out I'll order more later. I'm really happy I finally found out what it was, that was causing the chafing.

Also, one of the moderators sent me an e-mail last night and told me someone was trying to hack into my password. He told me they tried 5 times, before giving up. If any of you have an easy password you may think about making it a little harder. Mine is difficult, but I just made it more difficult.
    I have a few pairs of Ultra shorts. Generally comfortable in my rides up to 40/45 miles. Now with my Selle AnAtomica saddle, which is wide in the middle, there is inner thigh chafing taht I didn't ahve using Specialized saddles or a Brooks Pro or the Imperial Narrow. I have a pair of Verge team shorts with the ESP2 chamois that is better with the Selle AA. I'm very tempted by the recent good prices on Ultras, at Performance.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I'm glad you worked out your problem. I'm curious why you named this thread the way you did which makes it look like the bibs were the problem although you say that they weren't.

I have a pair of the Performance Ultra II bibs which I think are very good and a good bit better than the older Ultras.

I wonder if the attempted hack wasn't just someone who thought your username was theirs.
    I would have liked to think that, but who ever it was tried 5 times.

Anyway I went for a 35 mile ride today with the Hammer bibs and I still got red, but not raw. More red than I would like. I think if I went 70 I would be raw again. It almost makes me think I should have kept riding motorcycles. I still think the Performance bibs are more comfortable, but they were wearing out after 2 weeks. I know my pedaling has something to do with it now, but I'm wondering if the heat and sweat are adding to the problem, of chafing. Anyhow I'm completely out of ideas.
    George

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have started to get some chaffing but I think it is due to weight lose and the shorts being too big now,I can see where it is sort of bunched while I ride and see the sweat build up there. I am going to buy a new pair of bibs as I really like the bibs I have and think I will never go back to shorts.

I only get the chaffing with the shorts. These were the first pair I bought and the bibs came a while later. Bibs are a smaller size and fit so nice. PI Pro. pricy but imo worth it.

I can not even imagine a pair wearing out in only two weeks! That is a serious problem, I hope you can figure it out.

My Bikes
    Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to say I have a pair of Performance Ultra 2 bibs and I relay like them. They fit and feel very good.
    I have about 1500 miles on them and they are just starting to show a little wear, nothing last forever.At the sale price I think it was $60 then take 10% off for the Tuesday lunch special and 10% back with the buyers club I got them for under $50. So I’m happy

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by semsd View Post
    Just wanted to say I have a pair of Performance Ultra 2 bibs and I relay like them. They fit and feel very good.
    I have about 1500 miles on them and they are just starting to show a little wear, nothing last forever.At the sale price I think it was $60 then take 10% off for the Tuesday lunch special and 10% back with the buyers club I got them for under $50. So Iím happy
    I think if I ever get this figured out, I'll buy there bibs again. I'll have to see when the Velo bibs come and see if there is any difference. I'm going to stay with the bibs, I think they fit better than regular shorts. Thanks for the replies.
    George

Banned
    My Bikes
    Dolan DF3, Litespeed Tuscany, Dolan Hercules SE,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the material of the Ultra bib itslef, but the pad of the elite is better. The pad in the ultra seems to chafe a bit.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would happen if you changed your pedal form? I mean the knee drift. What if you tried to keep both knees close to the center, near the top tube? As you pedal, both the upstroke and down, keep the knees from drifting outwards.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
    What would happen if you changed your pedal form? I mean the knee drift. What if you tried to keep both knees close to the center, near the top tube? As you pedal, both the upstroke and down, keep the knees from drifting outwards.
    Thanks for the replies everybody. I just got back from a few days in Austin. I didn't have my bike, but I stopped in a shop I like and I was there before. I had the fitter put me on a bike that was set up for fitting. I started pedaling like I always do, without trying to fix the problem. My right knee almost hits the top tube on the upstroke and and swings out on the down stroke. My left leg was swinging out and staying that way, on the whole stroke.

I asked if I stayed in the drops and started spinning, like I read somewhere, it would help with my pedal stroke. He said it may, but that was probably my problem. Anyhow I know where the problem lies now and I'll just have to keep watching until it become second nature.
    George

My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While I only wear bibs (no shorts, no thanks!), the Performance branded shorts rubbed me the wrong way. I returned the shorts to Performance, they gave me a full refund, no questions asked!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still use my Performance Elite bibs on my recumbent. They don't really have enough padding to get in the way.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read a lot of good things about the Voler bibs, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the replies everybody.
    George