User Tag List

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I got really silly today!!!

Just started riding road in May, which was basically the first time I rode in about a decade. Now can ride 40+ miles regularly and do it in just under 3 hours, so basically averaging 14-15 MPH. No real problems riding road, and my bike is new, light, has tons of speeds.

SO....dug out my old mountain bike, which was a top of the line, fully suspended MTB.......in 1992! Just did an overhaul on it (it's my practice "work on it to figure out how it works" bike as I just finished a bike maintenance class). Started talking to a few of the MTB crazies and they talked me into doing the local MTB race. They have a 50+ beginner class, and the course is supposed to be pretty flat, so I figured I should do OK, after all I'm doing 40 miles.

Didn't feel too good yesterday, and felt less than 100% today, but there are only 4 races left before the season ends, so I went for it!

Ya know sumptin? Off road is a LOT harder than road riding!!! Especially when the race was held in 98 degree temps!!! I'm proud of myself though as I did two complete laps, approximately 6.25 miles in 44 minutes. Even though, I was passed by a rather plump older lady like I was standing still, I didn't finish last in my class, and I was actually faster than about 6 other people who are younger than I, so I guess, especially if I don't feel under the weather, I might actually do better the next races!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    every now and then the young punk that resides in all of us just has to remind us that we're not quite as young as we once were.go for broke (edited to clarify meaning,as in going all out not breaking things)
    Last edited by overthehillmedi; 08-27-09 at 01:07 AM.

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    every now and then the young punk that resides in all of us just has to remind us that we're not quite as young as we once were.go for broke
    Well, as I was going up the last hill before the start finish line, dying of thirst (yes I did have my Camelback), you could hear my dry, tired voice calling out for "BEER, BEER!!"

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HIPCHIP View Post
    Ya know sumptin? Off road is a LOT harder than road riding!!! Especially when the race was held in 98 degree temps!!! I'm proud of myself though as I did two complete laps, approximately 6.25 miles in 44 minutes. Even though, I was passed by a rather plump older lady like I was standing still, I didn't finish last in my class, and I was actually faster than about 6 other people who are younger than I, so I guess, especially if I don't feel under the weather, I might actually do better the next races!
    Let that be a warning to you. But it will get you fit for road riding

So that speed puts you at about 8MPH. About what I used to average on the 100 mile offroad I used to do. That used to keep me fit- or rather the training I did for it did. But you say you say you will do better at the next races.

Attachment seems appropriate
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though, I was passed by a rather plump older lady like I was standing still
    That is sad dude, and to then admit it..

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found my MTB riding really enhances my road skills. It also improved my hill climbing cardio condition as I spend a lot of time doing short,steep climbs accelerating to max HR with a quick recovery. It is great interval training.

That said, there aren't many in my MTB group that have the endurance capability road riding has given me.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    I have found my MTB riding really enhances my road skills. It also improved my hill climbing cardio condition as I spend a lot of time doing short,steep climbs accelerating to max HR with a quick recovery. It is great interval training. That said, there aren't many in my MTB group that have the endurance capability road riding has given me.
    Exactly right jdon,

Mountain (Off-Road) and Road riding compliment each other and help increase your overall fitness and riding skill level. Throw in some fixed gear riding and a double century or two and it makes for a varied and interesting cycling experience.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    . . Even though, I was passed by a rather plump older lady like I was standing still . . .
    Powerful motors, skill and determination cannot always be seen from the outside.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    I have found my MTB riding really enhances my road skills. It also improved my hill climbing cardio condition as I spend a lot of time doing short,steep climbs accelerating to max HR with a quick recovery. It is great interval training.

That said, there aren't many in my MTB group that have the endurance capability road riding has given me.
    That is what I had read, so thought I'd give it a try. My biggest fear was my bad back, which is why I had to give up MX and all motorcycles. I'm coughing like crazy today, so not sure if I just swallowed a ton of dust or if the reason I had no energy was a chest/head cold, or maybe even a combo of both.

My MTB is 18 years old, and there isn't a ton of MTB riding areas in my area, so need to find some off-road areas to ride in for cross training. I still like road much better (jeez, after spending hours cleaning my MTB, it's all dirty again. My Road bike only requires a couple of minutes a day to wipe down!) so will definitely stick to more road rides and races when I get in a little better condition, but wouldn't mind doing some more MTB rides as I'm sure it'll kick my butt and make me a better road rider.
    :**

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kr32 View Post
    And actually, it was at the end of the first loop, where I was thinking of dropping, but that pissed me off so much (or inspired me, depending on how you look at it) that I pushed myself to do the second loop, or about another 22 minutes in close to 100 degree heat, so guess she did me a lot of good!

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just started riding road in May, which was basically the first time I rode in about a decade. Now can ride 40+ miles regularly and do it in just under 3 hours, so basically averaging 14-15 MPH. No real problems riding road, and my bike is new, light, has tons of speeds.

SO....dug out my old mountain bike, which was a top of the line, fully suspended MTB.......in 1992! Just did an overhaul on it (it's my practice "work on it to figure out how it works" bike as I just finished a bike maintenance class). Started talking to a few of the MTB crazies and they talked me into doing the local MTB race. They have a 50+ beginner class, and the course is supposed to be pretty flat, so I figured I should do OK, after all I'm doing 40 miles.

Didn't feel too good yesterday, and felt less than 100% today, but there are only 4 races left before the season ends, so I went for it!

Ya know sumptin? Racing is a LOT harder than normal riding!!! Especially when the race was held in 98 degree temps!!! I'm proud of myself though as I did two complete laps, approximately 6.25 miles in 44 minutes. Even though, I was passed by a rather plump older lady like I was standing still, I didn't finish last in my class, and I was actually faster than about 6 other people who are younger than I, so I guess, especially if I don't feel under the weather, I might actually do better the next races!
    Fixed it for you. Try road racing and then get back to us on how it compares to mountain bike racing.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kr32 View Post
    Snark violation. You have been reported.

Now then, racing of any kind entitles the poster to respect. Move of us are too wussy to give it a go. At least I am.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And actually, it was at the end of the first loop, where I was thinking of dropping, but that pissed me off so much (or inspired me, depending on how you look at it) that I pushed myself to do the second loop, or about another 22 minutes in close to 100 degree heat, so guess she did me a lot of good!
    Well that is different then, you did good. Was she wearing spandex?

Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Snark violation. You have been reported.

Now then, racing of any kind entitles the poster to respect. Move of us are too wussy to give it a go. At least I am.

Agreed, I think, repeat think , about racing but never will. I see no real point if it. I used to race MX but those days are long gone. Bike racing seems too......much like work to me anymore, what with all the training and such. Im like to ride my bike, either road or MTB. MTB has not been out this summer yet though, I'll wait till fall when the weather is cooler.

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A: Yes, she was wearing SPANDEX!

B: I plan on trying some road racing. My speed, on my best day, is at the lowest end of the general requirements to join in my clubs Masters group, so when I get my speed up a little higher, and more consistent, I will give road racing a try too!

I figure racing gives me an incentive to keep pushing myself to get better and healthier.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I plan on trying some road racing. My speed, on my best day, is at the lowest end of the general requirements to join in my clubs Masters group, so when I get my speed up a little higher, and more consistent, I will give road racing a try too!

I figure racing gives me an incentive to keep pushing myself to get better and healthier.
    You are qualified to race now! Why wait? Most everyone who starts racing finds themselves at the rear of the field, then accepts the challenge to get better or gives up the thought. There is much more to racing than having the fitness to podium in a race. Much can be learned while your fitness progresses and while you establish goals to get better.

You can use your MTB in cyclo cross races. Cross races are a good way to integrate into road racing. In a cross race you will be riding alone, much the same as in your MTB race, so getting dropped wont be a problem. The Cross Race Culture is laid back when compared to what you will find at RR's. Some cross races even have "beer hand ups" for thirsty riders.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to race MTB's in the Vets class and I felt that I was there to give the others someone else to beat. But without enetering those races- I wouldn't have my trophy for coming 2nd in a class of 11.

I wasn't that good as no third place awarded- no-one else finished that day.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    You are qualified to race now! Why wait? Most everyone who starts racing finds themselves at the rear of the field, then accepts the challenge to get better or gives up the thought. There is much more to racing than having the fitness to podium in a race. Much can be learned while your fitness progresses and while you establish goals to get better.

You can use your MTB in cyclo cross races. Cross races are a good way to integrate into road racing. In a cross race you will be riding alone, much the same as in your MTB race, so getting dropped wont be a problem. The Cross Race Culture is laid back when compared to what you will find at RR's. Some cross races even have "beer hand ups" for thirsty riders.

This is the quote from my club site:

"Minimum cyclist requirements: While previous racing experience is not a prerequisite, cyclists participating in the race skills ride should at least be capable of completing a solo, unsupported 40-mile ride over flat-to-rolling terrain at an average speed of over 15mph with no stops."

I'm just barely there. I normally do 40 miles on a good day, with one to two stops and average a little over 14 MPH, so even for training I'd get dropped. I just started riding again in May after more than a decade off due to weight and health problems, so I don't want to push it and end up burning out or getting injured because I wasn't prepared. The only reason I did the MTB race was because were only 4 races left, and I can't attend the last one due to a meeting, so if I didn't do it I might get lucky and only be able to do 1 or 2, this way I have a chance to do 3 and see how I stack up. I definitely need more training!!!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MTB riding is great for making you a better road rider and vice versa. As for racing , been there, done that, no interest for me.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I used to race MTB's in the Vets class and I felt that I was there to give the others someone else to beat. But without enetering those races- I wouldn't have my trophy for coming 2nd in a class of 11.

I wasn't that good as no third place awarded- no-one else finished that day.
    We call that not giving up attitude determination!
    Born Again Bicyclist! I found my Faith.

Giant Cypress, GF Wahoo, Trek 7.3FX, Schwinn Sprint

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, the racing is like the icing on the cake. Just want to see how I compare to others to know how to gage what I'm doing for exercise. Last night I wasn't dead last or the slowest, so I feel good about my first time, and it gives me inspiration to get off my butt more and do better. I had planned on racing MX until they put me in the ground, but my back and my Doc ended that, so this is replacing the excitement I had on motorcycles. Keeps the old heart going!!!