Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broke Pelvis, recovery time

I broke my pelvis, the pubic ramis part, in a bike fall a few weeks ago. I'm doing OK and walking at this point. I'm 54 and otherwise in perfect health, if now somewhat overweight. I was finally getting back into the swing of things on the bike, getting close to my 100/week goal on a regular basis. I'd been working too much, plus the rain in June here in NYC put a real damper on riding time.

I'm curious if anybody else has had this happen and how long it was before they were back on the bike. I'd like to get a few rides in before winter, but is that being too optimistic? There's always the indoor trainer too.

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a friend break his pelvis in 7 places. I think it was about 3 mos before he was riding again. On the other hand he was in a wheelcahir for half of that time. good luck.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I broke mine about 12 years ago in a skiing accident, it hurt like hell.
    It took me about 2 months to get back to normal.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    I broke mine about 12 years ago in a skiing accident, it hurt like hell.
    It took me about 2 months to get back to normal.
    You're normal?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been two weeks now and there is still pain, but it is getting less intense. I keep looking at bike stuff and the forum so I'm getting the itch. Maybe I'll be OK this year, but I won't push it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    You're normal?
    When on the hospital the got my name worng - they called me "Abby Normal"
    ref "Young Frankenstien"

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zacster, very sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you heal fast.

I know it's distasteful to ask, but - this is BikeForums - was it your Davidson?

BB

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife broke her pelvis in two places last Mothers Day. She was not able to move for a few days.
    She was able to bike on a Tandem for about 65 miles today with no ill effects.
    BTW, there was a consequential problem due to reduced immune resistance. She got bronchitis which took another week or two to control.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Zacster, very sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you heal fast.

I know it's distasteful to ask, but - this is BikeForums - was it your Davidson?

BB
    Yes, it was on my Davidson. Not a scratch on it! My hip took all the impact. The EMTs that took me to the ER put it in the ambulance with me, and they were in awe of the bike. Then I told them it was 28 years old and they were totally shocked.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like all seroius injuries that keep you off the bike- Do not forget about exercise. If you can't walk there is still a bit af Cardio Vascular you can do lying on your back. And for upper body strength- do not forget what your right arm is for- but alternate with the left. About a litre of healing liquid should do the trick- Put it in a glass- a Heavy one is better and gently raise to the mouth and tip. When empty-Repeat.

And If you can't find healing liquid- I'm certain That Budweiser or Guinness would substitute.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Like all seroius injuries that keep you off the bike- Do not forget about exercise. If you can't walk there is still a bit af Cardio Vascular you can do lying on your back. And for upper body strength- do not forget what your right arm is for- but alternate with the left. About a litre of healing liquid should do the trick- Put it in a glass- a Heavy one is better and gently raise to the mouth and tip. When empty-Repeat.

And If you can't find healing liquid- I'm certain That Budweiser or Guinness would substitute.
    Unfortunately, those arm exercises aren't working. I just keep putting on weight in spite of all the exercise I do.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacster View Post
    Unfortunately, those arm exercises aren't working. I just keep putting on weight in spite of all the exercise I do.
    Had a couple of spells that kept me off the bike for extended periods. First one was the Bypass and it was 3 months of not being able to do anything before the op. Then from day 1 home, I started walking. I hate walking but walked to the local shop every morning for the papers- only 500 yards there and back- then got to walking into town, about 1 mile, and over the next couple of weeks increased my speed on walking. Got on the bike at week 6 and started gentle rides and at 3 months did a 40 miler. The ride was fine but at the end changed my shoes sitting on a bench- stood up and shin splints. Hadn't done enough on the legs.

Next time I had 3 months off- I walked twice a day into town at speed. 6mph and took in some slopes. 8 weeks I was out riding and at 3 months did a metric. No Physical problems except Hypothermia. It rained all day long and the wind got up to 70mph with the rian horizontal. The extra exercise had done its work.

But the putting on of weight-Don't worry about it. Just gives an Extra reason to get in Extra bike rides when you are fit. Just enjoy the training.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been just over 6 weeks now and this weekend was the first completely pain free period. My motion is normal too. I did a little jog outside just to test it out and it seemed fine. I'll give it another week or 2 and then I think I may be ready to ride again. Maybe I'll start on the trainer and give it a slow try in the house first.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news. Won't be long now and you'll have your conditioning back as wel

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll take a bit to get re-conditioned. I was dancing with my wife the other day and I was winded. I'm going to get on the trainer as soon as I get a chance.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been just over 6 weeks now and this weekend was the first completely pain free period. My motion is normal too. I did a little jog outside just to test it out and it seemed fine. I'll give it another week or 2 and then I think I may be ready to ride again. Maybe I'll start on the trainer and give it a slow try in the house first.
    Sounds like you're doing better than me. I'm still failing on 2 of the big 3: can't work and can't ride my bike. Looking backward it's easy to see that I'm gradually getting better, just not as fast as I think that I deserve.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It didn't seem like I was going to recover this fast, but all of a sudden I could walk, run, go up stairs without pain. This weekend I'll go to the park where all the riders go for the 3+ mile closed car-free, pedestrian free loop.

My son started riding my road bike, the one I fell on, while I was recovering. He thinks he's pretty fast. I'm going to show him what fast is. He'll have my old steel, I'll be riding my carbon. We shall see.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son started riding my road bike, the one I fell on, while I was recovering. He thinks he's pretty fast. I'm going to show him what fast is. He'll have my old steel, I'll be riding my carbon. We shall see.
    You need to "tune" that steel bike before you race. "Youth, strength and skill is no match for old age, experience and treachery."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went out for my first ride today, about 20 miles. It felt great, but I'm definitely out of shape. At home now a few hours later I don't feel any pain from the injury, just the usual riding pain. I never made it onto the trainer, but I never make it onto the trainer.

My son didn't want to go with me. It was "too early" at 1:30 to go ride. He'd just dragged himself out of bed at noon. The 16 year old life... I'd have gone much earlier but then I realized I needed a new helmet as I cracked the other one in the accident. That took some time and 3 bike shops. Everyone is low on stock at this time of year.