Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Smoking TT!!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smoking TT!!

We had our 5th of 6th TT's at Lowes Motor Speedway Wednesday night. Right after crossing the finish line my rear wheel locked up and even slid out of the rearfacing dropout. Just like the NASCAR guys doing a burnout, there was skidding and smoke!! I flat spotted the tire all the way to the threads. I was really lucky to keep the bike up as I was going in the high 20's and completely spent....I think I even saw the rear end pass me a couple times!!

Could very well be a broken axle. Just like the Nascar guys I took it back to the garage!!

It wasn't shifting right while I was doing the TT and jumping out of the cogs. Even still I managed my best time of the year and keep a hold on 2nd place in my age group. I still have to ride the last event as the 3rd place guy and me are separated by just a few points. Whoever wins that event gets 2nd and the other gets 3rd.

I was hoping to put off getting the wheel fixed but looks like I'm going to need it in a few weeks now.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So which of your high end sets of wheels were these and had you any inkling of a problem previously?

As you later became aware- a problem was about to rear its ugly head and just glad that you had the skills to control the bike when the fault reared its head. Even better that you haven't lost points in the race for 2nd- but we need you to improve your mechanicing skills before the next race. I hear DG is looking for some part time work so might be able to help out in the pit crew.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually a bearing failure starts with some heating and drag and does not go catastrophic immediately. You must have lost some watts heating it up before it failed - so mentally deduct a few seconds from your time for the extra drag. Now you can invest in those ceramic bearings.

Now I hope that makes you feel better
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All in all, it sounds to me like a great result. Will the third place rider be shattered when you and the new wheel increase you lead?
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler