Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    1983 Pinarello Treviso ,2008 Specialized Tarmac, 1984 Ciocc, De Rosa 1982, Fuji Absolute 2.0 touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The beginning and end all at once.

I am avid when it comes to riding but up until today it has been 100% classic and vintage machines for me. I love old bikes (my main ride was built in 1974) and never saw any reason to upgrade. Last night I located and purchased a newish (for me) Paramount with Shimano 105 stuff and index shifting. All I can say is Holy Moly! This thing stops on a dime and when you change gears it just clicks right in to the next cog, no dicking around to find the gear and keep it quiet.
    C and V I used to love ya but no more. This Paramount is a 1994, 20 years newer than I was riding but still 12 years behind today.
    Baby, I'm buying me a new ride soon, I can tell!

Mike
    "ready to navigate"

Surf Bum
    My Bikes
    Vintage Trek, Vintage Diamond Back Mountain Bike, Bianchi Axis CrossBike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. I love "classic things" (i drive a 41 year old car!) including bikes, but one ride with indexed shifters and I was hooked. Same thing for clipless pedals. I can't see myself really wanting downtube shifters or cages/straps ever again!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My '92 Bridgestone RB-1 came with indexed bar end shifters. I later swapped them for friction bar ends which I like better.

But my next new bike will be a modern road bike.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never craved a vintage bike- but think that is because I started around 1990 and on mountain bikes. They had not been around for many years and those early MTB's were still on a learning curve. Front suspension was just coming in and aluminium had only appeared on the anciliaries for bikes and not frames. When I look at even the best bikes from that time- in comparison to modern bikes- they were not that good.

So As I have updated bikes over the years- It has been for improvement on ridability and not nostalgia. As I now class myself as a roadie-I still want to ride a bike that works for me. Compact crankset- high gears for the hills, and plenty of themm, and a bike that is not heavy for the hills.

I do not want 10 or 12 gear bikes set up for flat areas or downhills and with a weight of around 25lbs+. May be my misconception of what classic bikes are but I do prefer to have a modern bike that is not a struggle to ride.

Doesn't mean I don't admire some of them- but I will admire them from riding alongside them and not on them.
    Last edited by stapfam; 08-30-09 at 02:59 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

old but fast
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200, Trek 5000, K2 moutain bike, Giant Option touring. Also have 6 other bikes for rest of family
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a vintage bike, but it was brand new in 1968 when I bought it, I ride it mostly on the local trails or just out for a short spin to get ice cream. I have a whole stable of newer bikes, and to tell the truth, the new ones are just too nice to ride the vintage on long rides.

I love my oldy but it is just to heavy, hard to shift, not to mention the gear ratio is pretty limited, to take out on long rides.

get ya a nice entry level bike, unless ya got the dough for something real nice, and make sure you get fitted by a quality shop. you won't be sorry and just use the vintage for those nostalgia moments

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really don't have to give up that vintage look to get a modern bike. My Simoncini although now about 15 years old has the rear dropouts spaced for a 10 speed cassett and the steel is top quality, infact the weight of the frame/fork is only about 1lb more than CF equivalent, it is classic geometry and lines, the fork ends and chain stays are chrome (not really - actually the whole frame is nickle plated so where there is no paint it looks/shines like chrome). It is a real classic look. Just rebuilt it last fall with a Campy compact carbon group and put some nice wheels on it and I keep up with other riders on their newer CF or Ti rigs. In fact I feel I perform just as well on it as I do on my CF Specialized Tarmac.

So if you like a vintage look - you don't have to sacrifice performance for it.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you will find using a mix of the old and the new the mos rewarding approach. I have a 20 year old bike with indexing gears and a new carbon fiber. I enjoy riding both, it depends on how I feel and what type of riding I might want to do. Get positive comments on both as well. Enjoy.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
    I have a 20 year old bike with indexing gears and a new carbon fiber.
    WOW - where on your old bike did you put that lone new carbon fiber - maybe replaced a cable with it
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.