Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta start carrying a camera

I carry my cell, but its an old Nextel and not a camera phone. Anyway, I have encountered 2 odd nature events in the last week and I think my wife thinks I'm just making this stuff up. Ok here we go - Last Friday I was riding in the park and passed what I thought was a snake smushed in the road, but something about the image in my mind didn't completely seem right. After cruising about 500 yards further, I just couldn't stand it, I had to go back and look. I pulled back up to what I thought was a dead snake only to see a small live rattle snake with a large frog in it's mouth. Believe it or not the frog was as big as the snake. I inched my front tire up to the snake and he released the frog and opened his mouth displaying his fangs. The frog was dead, but the snake was very alive. I guess I should have done what anybody else would do and try to kill the thing, but instead I just road on.

Then this Friday the second odd event - I'm heading down the hill out of my nieghborhood and suddenly a very small spotted fawn darts out of the woods right at me. I thought to myself that was odd, but even stranger when I looked over my shoulder the crazy thing was chasing me. I went a few more yards and slowed to a stop and the little thing ran within about 10 yards and stopped. It just stould there and looked at me for about 10 seconds then bolted back into the woods. It was breathing heavy and seemed almost as confused as I was. I guess it thought I was momma. I could have taken a great pic if had just had a camera with me.

You guys believe me don't you?
    [SIGPIC]http://www.bikeforums.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=115093&dateline=1207511414[/SIGPIC]

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kill the snake? Rattlesnakes are really pretty harmless. They generally retreat if given a chance. They are beneficial in that they prey on rodents. The vast majority of people who are bitten by rattlesnakes are bitten when they pick up the snake. Snake bite avoidance method #1 Do not pick up the snake. Leave it alone.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you. I have seen some strange things riding when I haven't had a camera. A few weeks ago I rounded a corner to see 2 coyote pups right in front of my bike!! They looked at me and meandered back into the woods. I know there are several in the area but you don't usually see them in the daylight hours. But then, they were pups and it wa early morning. Get a camera for the skeptics.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rattlesnakes are also an endangered species in many parts of the country.

My Bikes
    trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kill the snake? Rattlesnakes are really pretty harmless. They generally retreat if given a chance. They are beneficial in that they prey on rodents. The vast majority of people who are bitten by rattlesnakes are bitten when they pick up the snake. Snake bite avoidance method #1 Do not pick up the snake. Leave it alone.
    I totally agree, but for whatever reason most people seem to think that it is your responsibility to kill every snake you see. I actually think they are kind of cool looking and your are right they live off of the varmits that we do want dead.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.bikeforums.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=115093&dateline=1207511414[/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that you really believe that you experienced the encounters with animals that you described.
    Thanks for sharing.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    The vast majority of people who are bitten by rattlesnakes are bitten when they pick up the snake.
    What, are they brain dead?
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Fred at large
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an encounter with a HUGE buck a year or so ago. I didn't carry a camera then and I have no proof otherwise except my memory.

I was riding solo along a mild grade on Hwy 150 past Lake Casitas when I heard this "panting" noise off to my right. I looked and there was this 6 point mule deer buck running across a field directly toward me. He was about 50 yds away and coming fast with his mouth open and his neck extended. I rode up the roadway another 50yds and stopped. The buck ducked through the barbed wire fence and stopped on the yellow line in the center of the road. Perfect picturesque pose. No traffic and it was a straight section of hwy so we were both safe. We stood there eyeing each other for about a minute and then the buck turned and ducked through the fence on the other side of the hwy. He trotted up the rise and stopped in the shade and froze. I watched another minute or so but he wasn't going to show me his daytime hidey hole. (Not that it would matter, it's all posted "NO HUNTING" because it's a protected water shed area.)

I bought a cheapo $35 camera at Office Max and I now carry that on my bike. It's cheap, takes mediocre pics and is kind of a PITA because it doesn't have any memory card. But, if I lose or break it, I'm not out a ton of $$ either. Now, WHEN I have another experience like I had with the buck I will be ready.
    I am Fred, hear me slurp my Grande Mocha.

2006 60cm Orbea Orca with 2009 Rival
    1985 55cm Nishiki lugged steel with Shimano parts and Rigida wheels (C&V for sale)

1987 Haro Extreme (undermount rear brake) mtn bike with Shimano LX and Rock Shox fork
    2009 Kona Hei-Hei 2-9

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry my camera around my neck on nearly every ride. I find that if it is in my pocket, underseat bag or even in my Bento Box, I miss pictures. I have become the club photographer.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spoke50 View Post
    I carry my cell, but its an old Nextel and not a camera phone. Anyway, I have encountered 2 odd nature events in the last week and I think my wife thinks I'm just making this stuff up. Ok here we go - Last Friday I was riding in the park and passed what I thought was a snake smushed in the road, but something about the image in my mind didn't completely seem right. After cruising about 500 yards further, I just couldn't stand it, I had to go back and look. I pulled back up to what I thought was a dead snake only to see a small live rattle snake with a large frog in it's mouth. Believe it or not the frog was as big as the snake. I inched my front tire up to the snake and he released the frog and opened his mouth displaying his fangs. The frog was dead, but the snake was very alive. I guess I should have done what anybody else would do and try to kill the thing, but instead I just road on.

Then this Friday the second odd event - I'm heading down the hill out of my nieghborhood and suddenly a very small spotted fawn darts out of the woods right at me. I thought to myself that was odd, but even stranger when I looked over my shoulder the crazy thing was chasing me. I went a few more yards and slowed to a stop and the little thing ran within about 10 yards and stopped. It just stould there and looked at me for about 10 seconds then bolted back into the woods. It was breathing heavy and seemed almost as confused as I was. I guess it thought I was momma. I could have taken a great pic if had just had a camera with me.

You guys believe me don't you?
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work in the desert, and should carry my camera more often. But as much as I hate rattlers, I do leave them be. Well, there is one I will kill. If I still lived in the Mojave desert that is. The Mojave Green is a very pissed off critter, most aggressive, most poisonous of the rattlers. He doesn't run away from nothing... Luckily, I only saw one in the 8 years I lived in the Mojave...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've equiped my camera case with a long neck strap so I can carry the camera at my side by my waist. The case also has a flap with two robust snaps that I can slip a belt or auxiliary strap through, so the case both hangs from my neck and is secured to my waist. For me, this works very well and the camera doesn't bang around at all. Now if the weather would stay dryer, I could actually take it back out with me.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We only have one poisonous snake over here and that is an Adder. Seen a few in my life time but on a ride in the woods and crossing a hardpack road there was something lying in the road. The bike in front went near it and it was an adder that went for the rider. Missed him but I made certain it was going to miss me by turning left and riding for about 20 yards. Then I saw it was still coming towards me so I did not bother about getting the camera out for some reason.

On a night ride offroad and had a couple of encounters with wild life that got the HR up. First a pheasant flew up from under the front wheel and then on a section of track with 6' high fences alongside- came across a Red deer stag charging towards me. Stopped and it still kept coming and just about to throw the bike and hurdle the fence in one leap and the deer turned left and disappeared into the gloom.

But the best wildlife was 6 foreign girl students up on the Hills in the middle of nowhere bathing naked. They must have been foreign because when I asked them the way to Friston they did not know and did not bat an eyelid.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a helmet cam
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    When I was growing up, I can remember many times when my grandfather would hit the brakes if he saw a snake crawling across the road. He'd jump out, grab the snake, and throw it in a burlap sack he kept in the trunk of his car just for that purpose. When he got back to his farm, he'd take the snake up the barn and let it out -- he always said one more snake means lots fewer mice.

I never saw him do it with a rattler, though, because he didn't like having rattlers around the farm animals...

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a cougar last year, right in the middle of Salt Lake Valley metropolitan area. A friend saw it a few miles away a week or so later. Other people saw it a couple of weeks later, a few more miles away. One was captured a few miles away soon after, and nobody's reported seeing one since, so I assume we all saw the same one .

rae
    My Bikes
    1982 Nishiki Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often see deer & groundhogs. I've always known that there were turkey vultures in the state, but in my whole life never saw one.

A few weeks ago, there was one on the ground just off the end of the Johnstown-Newark rail trail feeding on something (at least I think it was a vulture, I never got a good look at it's head. That thing was huge).

Just 10 days after that, as I was riding down my street, there was another in the front yard of a neighbor's house--just sitting there!

Was this an omen, or do I just need to carry a camera also?

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    But the best wildlife was 6 foreign girl students up on the Hills in the middle of nowhere bathing naked. They must have been foreign because when I asked them the way to Friston they did not know and did not bat an eyelid.
    pics or it didn't happen!

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too believe and appreciate you allowing both the rattlesnake and the fawn to go about their business.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    08 Kona Dr. Dew
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strangest I ever saw was an alligator near Fort Benning in Southern Georgia. Scared the bejeezus out of me. I just turned around and went back.

08 dr dew
    torgrot

My Bikes
    Felt Z100 road bike and Schwinn Frontier
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a little Fuji point-and-shoot digital camera, goes with me on all my bike trips. Only problem with seeing wild life, they are usually gone before you can get the camera out and turned on, ready to shoot.
    I have started an album on my Facebook page, "Strange things I've seen along the road while biking".
    2011 Ride Across Arkansas:
    http://ozarkcyclingphotographer.blog...-arkansas.html

RAGBRAI 2009-Photos and narrative:
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/5329

My seven days on the Katy Trail in Missouri:
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/2094

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I know what you mean. The other day I swear it was a periwinkle unicorn running across the field, parallel to me. And again I forgot the camera.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 12" milk snake in one of my water bottles right now. My son is a HS Biology teacher and wants the snake for his classroom. On Monday I was riding an easy recovery ride when I rode past it on the road. I thought about picking it up, then turned around, found it, then called him from my cell phone. We'll see him this weekend and I'll pass the snake on to him. I'm thinking about moving the snake into more roomy digs, like a coffee can or peanut butter jar (another justification to finish off a jar).
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I frequently see rattlesnakes, never thought about trying to kill them.

I tried to get this guy to pose by poking him with a stick, then I thought better of it.

I realized they strike based on heat rather than vision so the stick wasn't really a great tool. I imagined myself in the ER and explaining that I was "just poking him with a stick when suddenly he bit me!".
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

My Bikes
    Davidson Stiletto, Pinarello Paris, Specialized StumpJumper Marathon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a black bear cross my path not too long ago. I was climbing up from the Snoqualmie Valley towards Woodinville and took a turn on to a road with less traffic. I stopped to wait for another rider when this black bear comes out of the woods about 20 yards in front of me. He looked at me for a few seconds then continued on his way. I had my cell phone camera, but it all happened so fast I never got a pic.
    Semi-employed bike bum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast