Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 reccomendations?

Asking here to avoid the snarky responses I might get in the Road Forum and with a little bit of 50+ wisdom as well.
    1) Your preferred chamois creme. I've used Assos for a while, but they've recently reformulated it and it's not as effective for me as before. I'm looking for something that lasts for longer rides, and has anti-bacterial qualities, if possible.
    2) A water bottle that is as leak-proof as possible. I've used Performance bottles, Trek, Specialized, Camelback, and numerous bottles from events, some of which I know are from the above companies. Invariably, each of these bottle will leak / weep somewhere along the ride, and hands, frame and bottle cage will become sticky from the Heed therein. Yes, I tighten the screw caps, and close the valves. The leaking generally is around the screw cap.
    3) Bottle cages. Need to replace my 10 yr. old bottle cages on my Litespeed Tuscany. Had Specialized resin cages that did a good job, never lost a bottle, no major noise issues, and relatively light.
    Shower me with your insight...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure I'll be much help.

I like Assos creme and was not aware of the reformulation. I've used Chamois Butter also though it's not as good as the Assos stuff. I guess we're in the same boat.

I use Specialized bottles. Like you I find they all eventually leak after some use. The Specialized or Trek bottles have been the best I've used though.

Specialized bottle cages. For $16 list they are light and hold tight. No need to look elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [quote=PAlt;9584057]Asking here to avoid the snarky responses I might get in the Road Forum and with a little bit of 50+ wisdom as well.
    "1) Your preferred chamois creme. I've used Assos for a while, but they've recently reformulated it and it's not as effective for me as before. I'm looking for something that lasts for longer rides, and has anti-bacterial qualities, if possible."

A&D Ointment. Baby butt creme. After years of saddle sores on Brooks and Specialized saddles, that were tolerable with A&D during the ride as well as after, a saddle change finally gave me comfort and I STILL will use the A&D. 1700 miles since mid June and no saddle sores

"2) A water bottle that is as leak-proof as possible. I've used Performance bottles, Trek, Specialized, Camelback, and numerous bottles from events, some of which I know are from the above companies. Invariably, each of these bottle will leak / weep somewhere along the ride, and hands, frame and bottle cage will become sticky from the Heed therein. Yes, I tighten the screw caps, and close the valves. The leaking generally is around the screw cap."

The Zefel 32 oz works fine, as do the insulated Polars and the generic 24 oz with the bike store logo.

"3) Bottle cages. Need to replace my 10 yr. old bottle cages on my Litespeed Tuscany. Had Specialized resin cages that did a good job, never lost a bottle, no major noise issues, and relatively light."

The Profile plastic cages are the only cage I've ever had luck to hold a bottle on a mt. bike. Riding buddies that are Triathletes use them too, on the behind-the-seat cage holders, where the location makes them susceptible to getting bounced out. I am quite happy on any road bike, with a $7 Blackburn steel cage.

SB

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) I use Body Glide directly on the chamois. It has worked well for me so far.

2) The water bottle needs to be re-invented. I have never had one that doesn't leak but have had the best success with the Specialized bottles.

3) I would go with a nice Ti cage or stick with what has worked in the past. The Specialized cages do work well for all types of cycling.

We all lose testosterone after the age of 40. Maybe that is why the people in the 50+ forum are much friendlier!

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Polar bottles and they don't leak at all and keeps the water cold. 30 mile plus rides, I freeze one all the way one half way and the third one ice cubes. Good for up to 3 hours. I've tried Assos cream and it didn't work for me as I was having a problem with chafing anyway. The one that worked the best for me, has been Bag Balm and the second one would be Chamois Butter.
    George

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chamois creme and I have never used it. May have needed it but never used it.

Bottles and I Gained one from the TDF by the side of the road and it was a Liquigas one. It is a new style where the top cap screws onto the bottle. The Mouthpiece section is on a flip up lid for easy filling- although it is just as easy to unscew the whole top. This type of bottle has never leaked for me but I did scrounge a couple of Giant "Team" bottles from my LBS that are the same style and they never leak. see attchment but the South Downs Way bottle is my special one for special events. Recognised by the cognisant that you are mad- stupid and some one to look up to. Only gained on two of the events for the 100 mile finishers

Bottle cages and on Boreas I got a superior grade of aluminium bottle carrier. This is easily pushed hard against the bottle to retain it and only weighs a bit over nothing. But I have always used Topeak aluminium bottle carriers and never had a problem. I even use them on the Tandem and after 6 years use -I have never lost a bottle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CAn't help on the creme, or the cages, but the Camelbak Podium bottles are the bomb. No leak. period.
    Last edited by Dellphinus; 08-31-09 at 05:14 AM.
    DP
    04 Specialized Expedition Sport
    08 Surly LHT

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using less and less cream these days. Am trying Bag Balm right now, because it's cheaper, for rides up to 50-60 miles. Just a touch on a trouble spot. If it need lots I use Chamois Butt'r, just because that was what I was given when I first started riding.

During hot weather I use Polar Bottles. As indicated above, they keep things cold. One that is filled and frozen still has ice in it after 50 miles. Camelbak during cooler weather, because they were given to me. I've never had any problems with leaks, even with "event" bottles, unless I froze and unfroze them a lot (except for the Polar bottles).

My cages are CF to match my bike . . . just a little OCP.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bag baum

I use most any water bottle and treat them as disposble. I recently got a couple from Williams Wheels, Webcor, Quarq and etc. At races you throw them at the side of the road in the neutral feed zone and get new ones. There is no time to get "perfect" water bottles. Non-leaky perfect water bottles must be a "Fred" thing.

I use carbon cages to match my bikes. I get them from my LBS and do not know which brand they are. Mine work fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Chamois Butter
    2. Polar, the ONLY bottle that doesn't leak, rarely sweats and actually keeps a cold drink cold.
    3. You definetly need to buy carbon fiber bottle cages at $45 each. As for me, I just take the el cheapo aluminum cages I find on bikes I flip and use them on my CF Giant OCR-C cause I don't care.
    (Hey I resisted giving you a Road Forum response for 2 out of 3, that's not bad.)
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1.Just started using Chamois Butt'r and so far so good-it is certainly better than not using anything. Avoid DZ Nuts!! I got a free sample and tried it. Let me save you the trouble!!!
    2. Can't help you there!
    3. I am very happy with my Tack Tao cages. I've never had a bottle even think of jumping out.

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Polar Water Bottles are the best and mine has never leaked. I generally use my Camelbak, because it is easier for me to grab a tube than a bottle from a cage.

I am sorry I can't help with the other issues. I have never used any of those creams.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. I use bag balm and afterward I swab down with some alcohol to kill germs. Seems to work.
    2. I've never had a water bottle leak.
    3. Aluminum bottle cages. Never had a problem with them.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Chamois Butter
    2. Camelback Podium
    3. Carbon cages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Bag Balm - works well, makes you smell like a farm.

2. California Springs bottles - cheap, no logo, never yet had one leak. http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikepart...=Water-Bottles

3. Blackburn stainless steel cages.

I know, I know, I'm an old fudd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    1.Just started using Chamois Butt'r and so far so good-it is certainly better than not using anything. Avoid DZ Nuts!! I got a free sample and tried it. Let me save you the trouble!!!
    Innaresting... I just got a sample, myself, and I'm looking forward to trying it out this weekend on a nice 40 miler down the coast and back. Never used any kind of cream before
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Wingra, 30 yr old KHS Mountain Bike, Used Yakima traile
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) I had never used cream before, but began using Assos a month ago. I was wearing a pair of compression shorts under my bike shorts to eliminate chafing, but the seams created other problems. I don't apply it to the chamois, that isn't my problem area, it is chafing caused by leg movement - mostly skin to skin abrasion that bothers me. Direct application to those sensitive areas eliminates the chafing. I've only used Assos, but it works for me.

2) My Camelback water bottle doesn't leak - in fact I have to apply negative pressure and squeeze the very stiff bottle to get anything out. All of the others I've tried leak around the filler cap and from the spout, even when closed.

3) We like the Specialized composite cages for the mountain bikes and the light-weight aluminum Specialized cages for the road bikes. We're not concerned about losing the bottle on the road.
    The difference between "Bold" and "Stupid"
    is often measured by the severity of your injuries.

63 yr old MTB newbie and his lovely bride

His: '08 Roubaix S-Works, ''11 Stumpjumper FSR Comp, '11 TriCross Comp, '11 Globe SS with Brooks B-17W saddle
    Hers:'08 Ruby Pro, '11 Safire FSR Comp, '11 TriCross Comp, '11 Skinny Benny SS with Brooks B-17 saddle
    Theirs: '10 Breezer 3-speed commuter

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will go a bit against the grain and say I like chamois treatments that are based on petrolleum jelly. I am currently using the new formulation Assos creme and don't care for it. I also seem to get along fine without anything - I just ensure I'm good and clean before the ride. A long ride though, well I usually use something - generally petrolleum based. I am considering trying the Mad Alchemy cream.

My Camel Back water bottle may not release quite the water of the standard Specialized bottles for a given squeeze but, it never leaks. Never - regardless of the position of the on-off twist head.

Specialized bottle holders are good holders. No problems with mine. They are good for the long and bumpy road.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Chamois Butt'r, Bag Balm or Queen Helene's Cocoa Butter Cream.

2. Never noticed any leaking bottles. No help.

3. Stainless steel water bottles. Never aluminum. They mark up your bottles something awful.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bag Balm
    Polar bottles (but i only put water in them so a leak doesn't get me all sticky)

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chamois Butt'r.
    Kleen Kanteen stainless. Have to stop and unscrew the lid to drink, but I'm not in that big of a hurry anyway.
    Blackburn stainless, black or silver, depending on the bike color.

My Bikes
    Della Santa, Bike Friday Air Glide, 1974 Schwinn Paramount, Cannondale t2000 Touring, Cannondale r500 Road Silk, LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7000 mtn bike, Sears and Roebuck[ made by Puch. I have had up to 36 bikes at one time. I am a sick person.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bag Balm, right on the sit bones area, and any place else that gets friction. That's as graphic as I want to be.

My Bikes
    1999 Litespeed Tuscany 105, 2007 Marin Palisades Trail, 2006 Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I splurged on a titanium King Cage for my Tuscany - works fine:

http://www.kingcage.com/products-waterbottle-cages.html

I know that evan plain water leaves marks on the ti when it leaks - haven't found a solution.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 Chamois Butter
    2 Specialized or Trek bottles. I buy new ones frequently for the same reasons as Hermes
    3 Specialized resin bottle holders. Have only dropped a couple bottles in the past 3 years while racing over RR tracks or hitting potholes. Originally purchased Performance CF cages for the bling factor but found they must have a "bottle eject button" and I threw out the directions with instructions to turn it off.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast