Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Runners

Old 09-05-09, 02:48 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Runners

I like to ride early Saturday morning. Unfortunately there is usaully a horde of runners. They want to run 3 and 4 abreast and take the whole trail as their own. They don't want to move over when I meet them on the trail. Maybe I need a really loud air horn!

Bicyclists sometimes ride 2 abreast, but they almost always yield when I meet them or overtake them.

Last edited by gtragitt; 09-05-09 at 02:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-05-09, 02:50 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I don't think runners are normal. I feel sorry for them and yet I avoid them when I can.
Old 09-05-09, 02:58 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
We have a local running club that use the MUP from around 7am for their training runs. They keep to the left and may be double file but they recognise that others may be using the MUP aswell. Not so for the joggers out for a 5 mile slow trot. All the gear and I Pods in. The worst are when you have two together and they take up the whole width of the path. I give them one yell and then pass them. May be a bit close- and maybe a bit fast but my Old cycling mate used to get them off the trail very fast. He just asked them at the top of his voice. "Which side do you want the tyre marks". And he only slowed down for dogs and kids.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-05-09, 05:19 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by gtragitt

I like to ride early Saturday morning. Unfortunately there is usaully a horde of runners. They want to run 3 and 4 abreast and take the whole trail as their own. They don't want to move over when I meet them on the trail. Maybe I need a really loud air horn!
That's one of the reasons I've taken to avoiding the MUP.
Old 09-05-09, 09:01 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Axis, Azuki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run, I ride a bike and I have seen and encountered people in both groups exhibiting questionable behavior. Runners with ipods are a hazard to everyone, particularly to bicyclists on trails. My rules, whether running alone or with friends, are no ipods and use only the right half of the trail. Unfortunately, the "I'll take my half out of the middle" groups are too prevalent and seem to believe they should not be inconvenienced by faster runners and bicyclists.

When I'm running or riding, I really appreciate bicyclists who are passing from behind saying, "on your left," and giving the number of bikes if riding in a group. Bicyclists who ride all-out on bike trails are a hazard to runners, walkers and families with little ones on bikes. On my ride this morning, I was pushed off the trail once by a group of road bikers going so fast they were not able to hold a line on their side of the turn.
Old 09-06-09, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've never had a problem with calling out "Coming up!" or "On your left". Sometimes I have to say it a couple of times, but it has always worked. I also give them a "Thank you" or "Good morning" as I pass.
Old 09-06-09, 04:32 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gtragitt
. . .They don't want to move over when I meet them on the trail . . .
Is you saying that they refuse to move over or are slow at it? If they are refuseniks you might try altering your route to meet them head on.

If they are just slow, try using a bell or louder voice soon enough to give them time to sort themselves out. It's often the unskilled runners who gaggle along like that because their pace skills can't keep them off our each others heels.
Old 09-06-09, 04:41 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
I have the same problem in the bike lanes along Pacific Coast Highway 101. Contraflow runners are generally not a problem, because I hug the left side of the bike lane and make it abundantly clear that I intend to hold that lateral position, but today I had to use a bit of vocal power to get some clown to pay attetion. Runners going in my direction, particularly those with their auditory Borg implants installed, are a genuine problem.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-06-09, 04:59 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
I had the same type of problem on a "Bike Path" (illegal for walking/running) with a group of 4 guys. Finally adjusted my front brake so that a slight touch of the brake to the rim would make it squeal, without giving any real braking (and with real braking, no squeal - but very hard to adjust just right). Give them the brake squeal and see how fast they move!
Old 09-07-09, 06:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
...... I give them one yell and then pass them. May be a bit close- and maybe a bit fast but my Old cycling mate used to get them off the trail very fast. He just asked them at the top of his voice. "Which side do you want the tyre marks". And he only slowed down for dogs and kids.
Surely you jest. Rude and childish. Surely a positive effect on the public's perception of cyclists.
Old 09-07-09, 06:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by professorbob
I've never had a problem with calling out "Coming up!" or "On your left". Sometimes I have to say it a couple of times, but it has always worked. I also give them a "Thank you" or "Good morning" as I pass.
Exactly. Simple, effective and gracious.
Old 09-07-09, 07:07 AM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
I don't think runners are normal. I feel sorry for them and yet I avoid them when I can.
Yep.
Old 09-07-09, 07:50 AM

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
I included a few miles of MUP riding yesterday. The trail is great and gets me through the city with a minimum of fuss, but the people on it were a challenge. The key is to just slow down and realize you're not going to proceed at your normal pace.

The MUP can be a dangerous place if you are not extremely careful.
Old 09-07-09, 08:14 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On most days when I encounter runners and joggers they yield when I say "left". It is just the horde on Saturday morning. I always say on your left" or "left" when I overtake anybody. I always say thank you as I overtake. With the horde I am meeting them not overtaking them. They will not yield!
Old 09-07-09, 10:07 AM

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute includes several segments of MUP riding. One nice thing about it getting later in the year is it's dark now on my ride home, which has eliminated most of the truly clueless for the season. There are still ninjas out there of all kinds, though, so I just ride it more slowly than the open road and take it as a fact of life on the MUP. I can accept that many users aren't going to pay attention to what's going on around them, but the ones that do get my irritation up are the people who stand in the middle of the trail just to talk.

Last edited by rnorris; 09-07-09 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-07-09, 10:49 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Can only imagine what runners are thinking about cyclists usng their running paths!!