Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 09-03-09, 06:55 AM   #1
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My checkered career as a bicyclist is almost 50+

It was my sister's 50th birthday this Monday. So it will be 50 years since I started 1st Grade the day after Labor Day.

That was when I got my first library card. The first book I checked out was "Curious George Rides A Bike". Reading that gave me the idea that if Curious George could ride a bike without anyone training him, maybe I could too. So I borrowed Katy Bissell's Schwinn Pixie one afternoon, (with permission), and I spent a couple of hours teaching myself to balance, steer, pedal and stop.

I got my first bicycle that December. But it was a HUGE 24" Fleetwing so big that I had to learn to ride all over again. Stopping is harder when your feet won't reach the ground.

But that led to bicycle commuting to school in the 2nd grade along the largest highway along the Gulf Coast of Florida, riding way beyond the boundaries my parents had set, losing to theft or destroying several bikes as a child, and to a lifetime love for the activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 09:03 AM   #2
bigshew

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy anniversary! I wish I had a good a memory as you. About the only thing I remember from 1st grade is the teacher sending me to the back of the classroom.
I didn't get my first bike until I was about 9 when my brother gave me his old beater.
bigshew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 09:57 AM   #3
Snail Male
pedaling from Black Dog

Bikes: Cervelo P2 SL, Mongoose commuter warrior
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
... I got my first bicycle that December. But it was a HUGE 24" Fleetwing so big that I had to learn to ride all over again. Stopping is harder when your feet won't reach the ground...
Good story, and what a coincidence! I'm writing up my bike history to post here (as a formal introduction, now that I'm legitimately 50+) and have a paragraph dedicated to the oversized bike my parents first bought me! I feel your pain, man...
Snail Male is offline   Reply With Quote