Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Windy ride.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windy ride.

The intention was to get the bike I am using on the Tour Of Britain fun ride in London out to check if it is ridable. I have mounted the placards on the OCR3 as this is the only bike I have that will take a pannier rack. The bike is 19lbs but with the placards and mounting etc- the bike checks in at 52lbs- with all of the extra weight behind the rear wheel. Quick check yesterday and it is feels wierd but wheelies are easy.

9 am this morning and a bit of wind about. In fact a lot of wind as when I pulled the bike out of the shed-I finished up across the other side of the garden. So plans changed a bit. Time to take the camera With the pics out to a few of my customers in Eastbourne and get sponsorship. Took Boreas as I know this bike can handle winds. Due South on the 10 mile trip and the side wind coming from the West. Except when I turned into it and boy did that slow me down. Saw a few customers and gave them a shock. They thought I was a nice stable Person with no adverse traits. One look at the camera and they changed their minds. See the first attachment- if you haven't seen it before. Down to Lunch to my favourite cafe and I sat inside to have my Eggs and ham on toast. The chairs outside were stacked away as they were being blown over the Walkway. Down to the met office and the wind was a constant 40mph with gusts up to 60.

By this time the wind was behind me so I had a couple of miles with high speed before I met the two in the second attachment. They were travelling from Dover to Lands End- In other words completely across the South of England- about 400 miles- and they were going into that headwind. Those bikes were heavy and I noticed them travelling at about 2 mph- spinning at around 90 and headdown into the wind. Turned round and had a chat with them- They were from Holland and had left Dover yesterday and camped somewhere en route. It was now 3pm and it had taken them that long to ride the 40 odd miles along the coast. I advised them on the route they should take to get some shelter from the wind- but they had a good few hills to take in before they got to their next camping site for the night. Didn't fancy their chances of making the 10 miles to the camp site before nightfall. And they have another day of high winds tomorrow.

I know I was mad to go out in that wind as the cross wind gust's were dangerous. One thing I did prove though- If it is windy when I do this Fun ride- The placards are staying at home and it will just be Bananaman on a bike getting sponsorship.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is definitely an attention gathering outfit you have on. Without the placards, I don't know what I would think if I ran into someone dressed like that. No doubt the wind caused havoc with the placards but, on a ride like that the placards are good for making your voice heard, or getting word out. On an event I just rode this past weekend with BikeWNC, we used a flag strapped to the rear of the bike. This did a good of getting the word out without being too affected by the wind, though we didn't have 40 knot winds either. I don't think a flag would last too long in that environment but, even if it started shredding it could be replaced at each stop. I like the flag approach.

Your friends appear equipped for the long haul as there is a lotta gear on those bikes. No telling what their bikes weigh - but they have a good attitude from the picture. Bet this is not their first time on an event like this.

I'd like to get over to the UK for some riding sometime. Maybe next year's 50+ reunion event can be held there. We wouldn't need hills with winds like that.
    Last edited by NealH; 09-03-09 at 11:41 AM.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a hard enough time with the winds here, let alone what your putting up with. Next month the winds start blowing pretty good here. More so if there is a hurricane.
    George

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are a trooper for sure! I would pack it in with 40 mph winds with gusts to 60!
    To be honest I about fell out of the chair when I saw the "kit".

Great cause and a good way to show your support, I applaud you for it. Very creative.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if you have "Bananaman" over there but superman he most definitelty is not

And the suit is made of a nylon fabric but it lets wind through. There is padding on the front of the chest- so it could get a bit warm but this is definitely going to need some clothing underneath it.

Just so you can see what the theme is about- This has some bike content. The voices are the Goodies by the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRiS9...eature=related
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NealH View Post
    That is definitely an attention gathering outfit you have on. Without the placards, I don't know what I would think if I ran into someone dressed like that.

I'd recognize that beard and bicycle anywhere.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scary picture that! Enjoy the ride.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should try wearing a costume to get some attention.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great costume, Stapfam!

My Bikes
    Trek 750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I call this the "Woes of Wind." During the week, I ride a bike path that is right by the Hudson River. It getting more fall like, so that means if the weather service say 5-6, it's usually 10+ on the River. So I check, supposed to be a north wind all day long. So not too bad, the heavy peddling at the beginning of the ride, but I can blast back south. I do the north part, it didn't seem THAT bad. Turn around an head south expecting to be flying.

Oh noooo, WTF something HAS to be wrong with my bike, I'm going way, way slower than I should. Most of the way I am glacing up for traffic, but most of the time looking over my bike to try and see what is causing this. Get to an esplanade and stop to try and figure it out. Some boats are moored there and whaddya know! All the pennants are stiff as boards heading NORTH! Wind shifted 180º just as I was heading back south.

5 miles of headwinds going north, 5 miles of head winds heading south. Grrrrrrrrrr.
    1991 Trek 750 Multitrack Hybrid

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why fashion a sail instead of the placard? I've seen riders in outlandish costumes, but never hauling 52 lbs of bike with them. Good luck.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades