Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-04-09, 11:02 AM   #1
Timtruro
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Timtruro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Truro, MA
Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)
Posts: 1,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good Specialized Experience

Recently my wireless computer stopped working. Not having the receipt and not wanting to wait, I bought a new one. I also sent the old one with a note on when I bought it (March) and explained that it just died. No receipt, just the computer and the note went off to the Specialized people, that was about 10 days ago.

Today FEDEX delivered a replacement computer, brand new, in the box. Now I have 2, thank goodness I also have two Specialized bikes ( which I pointed out in my letter to the company). Specialized stood behind their product and completed a no nonsense transaction, NICE.

Now if only I could get my "cash for clunkers" check!!!!
Timtruro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 01:57 PM   #2
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There are advantages to buying from a recognised name and this is not the first time I have heard of good service from Specialised.

Now about only having one computer on two bikes---- That puts it that as Specialised have saved you the cost of a new computer for the second bike- N+1 must be looming.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 02:29 PM   #3
BikeArkansas
Senior Member
 
BikeArkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Maumelle, AR
Bikes: 2015 Fuji Transonic 1.3, 2015 All City Mr. Pink, 2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009 Jamis single speed, 2012 Scorpion FX trike
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Specialized is the only brand name to NOT take of their product for me. To each his own experience.
BikeArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 04:33 PM   #4
Timtruro
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Timtruro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Truro, MA
Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)
Posts: 1,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
Specialized is the only brand name to NOT take of their product for me. To each his own experience.
?????
Timtruro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 04:49 PM   #5
BikeArkansas
Senior Member
 
BikeArkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Maumelle, AR
Bikes: 2015 Fuji Transonic 1.3, 2015 All City Mr. Pink, 2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009 Jamis single speed, 2012 Scorpion FX trike
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I bought a pair of their road shoes. High dollar for me, around $200.00. They killed my knees. I took them back for testing etc. Finally I found that Specialized says their shoes work for most people, but there are some riders that they will not fit due to some type of cantlever style they have. I was one of those. My only option was to place them in the dumpster to keep them from hurting any one else. Specialized would do nothing, even though their literature says they will not fit some people.
I will never use Specialized for anything again. Oh, and by the way I was riding a Specialized road bike at the time. It is long gone now.
BikeArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 05:51 PM   #6
ddez
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Alberta,Canada.
Bikes:
Posts: 800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
Recently my wireless computer stopped working. Not having the receipt and not wanting to wait, I bought a new one. I also sent the old one with a note on when I bought it (March) and explained that it just died. No receipt, just the computer and the note went off to the Specialized people, that was about 10 days ago.

Today FEDEX delivered a replacement computer, brand new, in the box. Now I have 2, thank goodness I also have two Specialized bikes ( which I pointed out in my letter to the company). Specialized stood behind their product and completed a no nonsense transaction, NICE.

Now if only I could get my "cash for clunkers" check!!!!
Thats the way it should be.Right on! Makes ya feel good.
I recently had a major hassle with a large bike co.Arguing with me in a agressive manner via email.I asked them what ever happened to cust service.When i owned my own company and got a complaint i took care of it no questions asked, even if they where wrong,why do some just want to tick people off is beyond me.P.S. I sold that bike at a huge loss within a week,and will never buy from them again.
ddez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 06:10 PM   #7
jdon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
I bought a pair of their road shoes. High dollar for me, around $200.00. They killed my knees. I took them back for testing etc. Finally I found that Specialized says their shoes work for most people, but there are some riders that they will not fit due to some type of cantlever style they have. I was one of those. My only option was to place them in the dumpster to keep them from hurting any one else. Specialized would do nothing, even though their literature says they will not fit some people.
I will never use Specialized for anything again. Oh, and by the way I was riding a Specialized road bike at the time. It is long gone now.
Sorry to hear that your experience with shoes has turned you off an excellent company with great products. You really ought to have sold the shoes or given them away though as the Body Geometry shoes work well for the vast majority. Sorry to hear you were an exception.
jdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 06:22 PM   #8
t4mv
ES&D
 
t4mv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roadieville, USA
Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
I bought a pair of their road shoes. High dollar for me, around $200.00. They killed my knees. I took them back for testing etc. Finally I found that Specialized says their shoes work for most people, but there are some riders that they will not fit due to some type of cantlever style they have. I was one of those...
So you tried the varus and valgus wedges and the whole ball of wax and still no go? I think they do say that it doesn't work for 5% of the population or something, but yeah, I agree with jdon, you should have stuck them on fleaBay or craigslist or something, and shared the misery with someone else.
t4mv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 06:33 PM   #9
BikeArkansas
Senior Member
 
BikeArkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Maumelle, AR
Bikes: 2015 Fuji Transonic 1.3, 2015 All City Mr. Pink, 2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009 Jamis single speed, 2012 Scorpion FX trike
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My question is,"What difference does it make what I did with the shoes?" The fact is that the company knows they do not work for 5%, or whatever, of the population. If they do not work, refund. I did try the wedges, took the foot test, all that stuff on my time. I tried. The shoes did not work. That is the real issue, not if I got 25 bucks for the shoes from someone else. Specialized is NOT a good company in my humble opinion. Of course, my opinion is formed by personal experience.

Last edited by BikeArkansas; 09-04-09 at 06:38 PM.
BikeArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 06:57 PM   #10
jdon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It makes no difference at all. I suggested finding them a new home because you said the dumpster was your only option, when clearly it is not.

What do you do with saddles that don't fit you or work for you? Most cyclists I know have a collection of failed items. Shoes are no different. Sell them or give them away but there has to be more to the story to warrant the ill feelings you have towards them.

I have owned several Specialized bikes and currently have three. I own four pairs of their shoes and a lot of clothing. By my experience, they are a great company and they stand behind their products.
jdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 10:57 PM   #11
WMD
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sacramento
Bikes: 2004 Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
My question is,"What difference does it make what I did with the shoes?" The fact is that the company knows they do not work for 5%, or whatever, of the population. If they do not work, refund. I did try the wedges, took the foot test, all that stuff on my time. I tried. The shoes did not work. That is the real issue, not if I got 25 bucks for the shoes from someone else. Specialized is NOT a good company in my humble opinion. Of course, my opinion is formed by personal experience.
So, if I understand this correctly, Specialized sucks because they would not give you a refund on a pair of shoes that you put your cleats on, your stinky feet in and then rode your bike. That's like asking for a refund on underwear. Get a clue. No one would do this.
WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 11:05 PM   #12
BengeBoy 
Senior Member
 
BengeBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
So, if I understand this correctly, Specialized sucks because they would not give you a refund on a pair of shoes that you put your cleats on, your stinky feet in and then rode your bike. That's like asking for a refund on underwear. Get a clue. No one would do this.
REI would....I've done it.

I wanted a pair of SPD cycling shoes for commuting that would *not* allow the cleats to contact the ground when I was walking (e.g, no scratching or "clicking" when I walked with cleats in). Salesmen said he understood what I wanted. Sold me some Pearl Izumi whatevers. I went home, punched out the insert in the soles, put cleats on, and rode them to work twice. Was not able to walk in them without having the cleats come in contact with the ground. Took them back the next weekend. REI refunded my money, cheerfully.

However, in some of the incidents cited above, it's not clear to me whether the responsibility was with the *dealer* or *with the company.* To me, the dealer ought to stand behind the product, and then he/she can fight it out with the manufacturer for a return.

One reason I do a lot of business with REI is the "no questions asked" return policy, no matter what brand you are buying from them..

Last edited by BengeBoy; 09-04-09 at 11:39 PM.
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 11:31 PM   #13
jdon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post

However, in some of the incidents cited above, it's not sure to me whether the responsibility was with the *dealer* or *with the company.* To me, the dealer ought to stand behind the product, and then he/she can fight it out with the manufacturer for a return.
This is a good point and is one that was not made clear. The dealer may be the problem, not Specialized.
jdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-09, 06:23 AM   #14
Timtruro
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Timtruro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Truro, MA
Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)
Posts: 1,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
There are advantages to buying from a recognised name and this is not the first time I have heard of good service from Specialised.

Now about only having one computer on two bikes---- That puts it that as Specialised have saved you the cost of a new computer for the second bike- N+1 must be looming.
You mis-understand, I now have 2 of the computers and two Specialized bikes so I should be all set. However you got me thinking...........N+1, hmmmm. I already bought a new bike this year and last, I shall have to wait I think, for the next one.
Timtruro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:20 AM.