Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where do you get your inspiration?

To some of us Lance and his return to racing is an inspiration but to me there is a woman that joined our group ride a few weeks ago and she inspires me to suck it up a bit and give just a bit more effort. She stayed with us for 39 miles today with two little climbs and an average speed of 16.4. She was also able to hang with a pace line doing 21 MPH for almost ten miles. She said she will be returning to ride our recovery ride tomorrow and is interested in trying a century with our group in October. Check out the picture and see why she inspires me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great! What a role model to have on your ride -- please tell her she's inspired me, as well, and to keep up the good work!
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know exactly where you are coming from. Take a look at this image of the finish of a race I was in this past summer. Look back about 6 or 7 riders to the guy on the right side. Matt is an excellent rider and racer even though he has a carbon fiber leg. BTW, the CF pattern in prosthetic leg looks pretty fast.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/ddraiss/aj.jpg
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in awe of speeds that you mentioned! I'm thinking I'm doing well when I average 12+ mph. Yes, I am impressed with your newest member. Good for her! I would be one of the "those riders" that shouldn't and wouldn't even try riding with your group, but the only way that I've gotten better is to ride with better riders than myself.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktytrfan View Post
    I'm in awe of speeds that you mentioned! I'm thinking I'm doing well when I average 12+ mph. Yes, I am impressed with your newest member. Good for her! I would be one of the "those riders" that shouldn't and wouldn't even try riding with your group, but the only way that I've gotten better is to ride with better riders than myself.
    I know just what you are talking about. I am not an A group rider and normally I ride with the B group. I started out with the C group last year.

Like many groups we have more than one level of rider. I had assigned one of our slower riders to stay with her and one other rider that joined her on her first ride with us. We have a no drop policy when we combine groups so you have to imagine my surprise when we stopped to regroup and she was about 200 yards ahead of the guy I had assigned to keep an eye on her. I asked her if we were pushing a bit too hard and her response was, “how else am I going to get stronger?”

No matter what she has impressed me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd write a long response, but that story and those photos made me want to get out and ride.

THANKS!!
    "You've got to be willing to rip it all apart. Including yourself."
    ---Steve Woznik -- Multi time USA Sprint and Kilo Champion, Pan Am Games Gold Medalist

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing.

My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow! That's great! I have to hand it to her, she's doing it, and well!
    --------------------------
    My wife of course!...She donated a kidney few years back. She was on the bike a month later and 40 milers after a few months. Heck, she's even attmepted the 5000 ft climb (GMR) a couple of times but it was 100 degree weather and she only made it 16 of the 20 miles. She would have made it on a cool day but even in 100, she TRIED!

I think of too may riders I know that won't ride in 5 mph winds or when they have a pimple on their butt!

A little scar!

She's never the first up the hill but she does it!..GMR to the shack, 2200 ft in 8 miles.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too many to mention. Mostly people who have overcome major setbacks and continue to achieve. For the past year I have definitely been riding in Bud Bent's slipstream.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm always impressed by these people that find a way to continue on with their lives. I guess they have to choose between moving on or feeling sorry for themselves. I have a childhood friend that chose the latter. He suffered some permanent nerve damage in a car wreck that affected one lower leg. 30 years later and he's still not done a thing. It's really a shame. So good for this woman and good for the OP for looking out for her.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My inspiration comes from two places.

First, my late friend Wayne. We are about the same height and weight, both smoked for 35 years, both thought we were in good shape. He was four years older than me when he didn't wake up one morning. Six weeks later, I bought a bike. Nine months after that, I quit smoking.

Second comes from my father and his father. Both had their first MI at 55. Both "retired" after that and spent decades sitting around waiting to die. My father is 73, and has worn out--that is, completely and utterly destroyed--four reclining chairs since his MI. We lost count of how many remotes have failed under his thumb. For almost 20 years, every day he says something like, "It won't be long now."

So my inspirations are not positive ones. They are negative ones. I don't want to end up like that.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was 35 I was on a group ride and at one point found myself talking with a man who said he was 70, exactly twice my age. The day before he had cycled 100 miles to the town where the ride started, and this day he was leaving the ride before it looped back so he could continue back home, another 100 miles. I asked him how he did it and he said he rode at his own pace and that way he could ride all day.

I am now 64 and can no longer cycle anywhere near 100 miles, but I have used that philosophy when touring and I can ride further than I think I can.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I talked with this woman today and discovered she will be leaving for about 6 weeks to take care of her mother due to a death in the family. I told her we would miss her and look forward to her return. She smiled at me and said, “don’t worry, I am taking my bike so I will be ready when I get back.” Her last ride with us before she leaves is Monday. She wanted to ride our 65 mile pre century ride before she took the time off.

I call her T-3 for the tenacious woman in Terminator 3. And don’t worry I asked if it was ok before I gave her the nickname.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple, Gary Fisher Hi Fi Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran the Marine Corps Marathon in 2000, and as I passed over the Key St bridge, lo and and behold, there was a gentleman in front of me running a marathon on two artificial legs. Later, when cramps set in and I thought I was done, I was ashamed in the face of his courage and even today, I cannot get his image out of my mind. Whenever I feel lazy or try to come up with an excuse, I say to myself "Remember the man on the bridge." I wish i could tell him what an inspiration he was and is.