Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another semi retired trucker here.I carry my Brompton folder with me.Small enough to keep in sleeper,no theft problems.
    If you ever get up to Edmonton Alberta way,you can park at Road King/Flyin J on Yellowhead Trail (Hwy 16)and ride bike about a mile west on 16 down to river valley,miles of paved or dirt trails clean through entire city.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddez View Post
    Another semi retired trucker here.I carry my Brompton folder with me.Small enough to keep in sleeper,no theft problems.
    If you ever get up to Edmonton Alberta way,you can park at Road King/Flyin J on Yellowhead Trail (Hwy 16)and ride bike about a mile west on 16 down to river valley,miles of paved or dirt trails clean through entire city.
    With a big enough sleeper, you can carry a grown up bike.

Is the Flying J what used to be the Shell at Broadmoor? I don't get that far west any more.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    With a big enough sleeper, you can carry a grown up bike.

Is the Flying J what used to be the Shell at Broadmoor? I don't get that far west any more.
    Yup,thats the one.Right across the street from the Road King.Actually the lil Brompton is a blast to ride.Not much different than big bike but more responsive to steering input.

cycling for 50 plus yrs colorado dale's Avatar
    My Bikes
    IF Crown Jewell
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great place to park and ride in eastern greater denver for large trucks
    just east of Walmart by Tower road I70 exit
    2 sat's ago i saw 10 so TT parked there
    from walmart go east on 32nd until in deadends south
    east on 26th until in deadends
    south until in deadends follow colfax east thru watkins, bennett and strausburg (50 miles rt)
    between bennett and strausburg there is a i70 rest stop so you could park there also

at I70 dot sero, co there is a large amount of TT parking
    ride about 1 mile on frontage road on N side of i70 and you pick up Glenwood canyon trail

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are traveling I87 from Canada to Albany or I90 out to Buffalo check out the Mohawk river/Erie canal trails

http://www.nycanal.com/recreation/hikebikemain.html
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the regional discussions you can find a wealth of good info. If you know you have a west coast swing or headed to a specific part of the country, check out that Forum. I have found some great stuff about AZ and I was born there.

Former Flatbedder here. Bikes like trucks work best with the rubber side down.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get through Vegas Valley, I-215 and either I-15 or HWY 93/95, let me know. You can park close by and I can show you a couple trails. Sloan Canyon is moderate, but you can bust a lung if you want to.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing worth knowing if you are ever westboud on I-94 entering Minnisota is that there is a bike path that passes right through the St.Croix rest area. You can ride from there down to the river and explore the little town there. I think it's called Afton or something like that.
    I'm going to be passing through there in about 2 hours. Unfortunatey I'm under an expedited load to Winnipeg, so there will be no time to ride it today.
    One thing I failed to mention is that after this ride, you must stop at Nelson Bros. (Petro) at exit 178 and reward yourself at the pastry bar.
    Also in Minnisota along I 94 is the Lake Woebegon trail which runs from St Joseph to Osakis.
    There is a truck stop at Sauk Center that you could catch it from.
    Trail map
    http://www.lakewobegontrails.com/Lak...ailfinal07.pdf
    Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 10-30-09 at 08:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan I carry a full size,Trek7100 inside my truck also,a KW600. It sleeps on top bunk,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by george7100 View Post
    Dan I carry a full size,Trek7100 inside my truck also,a KW600. It sleeps on top bunk,
    Grown up bikes are too difficult to get in there.Folder rules.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I ran back east accross Minnisota on Saturday, and this time I was not rushed, so I stopped at Sauk Centre, (yes they use the British spelling of Centre, I'd forgotten about that). From the truck stop at exit 127,I rode north for about one mile to the trail.
    When you get to the overpass, that's it. Take the first street to the left after the overpass and it will take you right to the trail.
    I rode west, uphill and into the wind until my dist. showed 10k, which was at the 121.5 mile marker and turned back. I'd have gone farther, but darkness was looming and it was getting a bit brisk.

This was my second ride of the week. On Wednesday, I had a great night ride with a fellow BFer
    on this trail.
    http://www.fpdcc.com/downloads/bw_trailmap.pdf
    Daytime parking would be a problem though. This is right at the I 90/I 290 interchange at Schaumburg.
    I was delivering to the Ikea store which is just off the top left corner of the map. They tell us right on the order notes that if we wish to spend the night there, we must arrive after 21:00, but I push this a bit and have not had a problem. I'ts a light commercial area, stores offices and hotels, not really any place to leave a truck laying around.
    Thank you George for starting this thread. Please post your rides with pictures if you can.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I didn't realize there were truckers who actually carried bikes with them in their cabs! Awesome. I had always thought that it would be so cool to be a long-haul trucker and to have a bike with me that I could ride when I wasn't driving or sleeping. I keep track of all the places I've ridden, but I'm still nowhere near all 48 states. I just love doing road trips, putting the bike in the back of the Subaru wagon and driving somewhere far away, getting out the bike and going for a long ride somewhere I've never ridden. Sounds like a dream job - at least the downtime part of it. I guess I wouldn't make a lot of money - too much time spent riding the bike to the detriment of getting the delivery done on time! I really envy you guys. The best I can do is to make sure I take my bike with me when they send me out of province on business...

Luis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're running into NY/NJ area, there are many truck stops on Rts 78 and 80. Look athttp://www.njbikemap.com/

Exits 12 and 7 off of Rt. 78 in western NJ would be good areas to ride from. The map even shows where hills are, if you want to avoid those.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On Sunday, I had a delivery appointment in Green Bay which I arrived several hours early for. The route to my customer was along Lombardi Avenue. Well, there is a wee sports venue on that road called Lambau Field or somthin like that. And guess what was happening there. Yup, Packer Sunday.
    Sooo, I had to make a wee detour, but that was only a slight setback.
    Once I was parked at the customer, I took out the bike and headed out. My primary mission was to find a decent restaurant. Truck stop food is alright, but it's all pretty much the same, and a change is nice.
    Well, I hadn't gone far down Broadway Avenue when I passed a railroad museum. There was this piece looking like it had just jumped off the cover of a 1950s Popular Mechanics.

Tell me Harley Earl didn't have something to do with that design.
    Just about the time I was begining to think I had gone entirely the wong direction to find something to eat, I find this.

OK, dinner can wait a bit, I find trail, I ride trail. The trail doubled back the direction I had come along the river, and it didn't go very far when it delivered me to a marina. Beside the marina
    TADA!

Found my nice dinner, finished up my ride, story over.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    Wow, I didn't realize there were truckers who actually carried bikes with them in their cabs! Awesome. I had always thought that it would be so cool to be a long-haul trucker and to have a bike with me that I could ride when I wasn't driving or sleeping. I keep track of all the places I've ridden, but I'm still nowhere near all 48 states. I just love doing road trips, putting the bike in the back of the Subaru wagon and driving somewhere far away, getting out the bike and going for a long ride somewhere I've never ridden. Sounds like a dream job - at least the downtime part of it. I guess I wouldn't make a lot of money - too much time spent riding the bike to the detriment of getting the delivery done on time! I really envy you guys. The best I can do is to make sure I take my bike with me when they send me out of province on business...

Luis
    For several years in the 90s, actually from 94 til the end of 2001, I had a regular scheduled run to your fair city. Hours of service rules dictated a full day off somewhere out at that end of the country, so I got lots of riding in out there. In those days, I was into mountain biking, although nothing as radical as the North Shore style.
    I did most of my coast riding around Langley, (Walnut Grove actually.) I used to stop at different places along the way home, and found some neat trails around Kamloops, Revelstoke, and did lots of riding in Calgary.
    Great trail system around that town.
    These days, Winnipeg is as far west as I go.

cycling for 50 plus yrs colorado dale's Avatar
    My Bikes
    IF Crown Jewell
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On Sunday, I had a delivery appointment in Green Bay which I arrived several hours early for. The route to my customer was along Lombardi Avenue. Well, there is a wee sports venue on that road called Lambau Field or somthin like that. And guess what was happening there. Yup, Packer Sunday.
    Sooo, I had to make a wee detour, but that was only a slight setback.
    Once I was parked at the customer, I took out the bike and headed out. My primary mission was to find a decent restaurant. Truck stop food is alright, but it's all pretty much the same, and a change is nice.

Found my nice dinner, finished up my ride, story over.
    Understand the game day traffic I used to bicycle to the games to zoom thru the traffic.

You might have been lucky when I lived in GB a lot of the resturants we closed on Sundays
    except during Packer home games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post

Luis
    There is the romantic side of it all right,shined up rig cruising down the road on a nice sunny day.Or a lighted up truck on a moonlite nite cruisen along.The side we like to not think about is haveing to chain up the wheels in -40 blizzards to stay on the road that you cant see anyway,say up in northern Canada in the middle of nowhere where you might not see another vehicle for hours on end.Your right,down time part of it can be good.
    Dont get me wrong,i wouldnt change a thing re:job,after more than 40 years at it.
    Last edited by ddez; 11-02-09 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Added after thought.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12