Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody else have moderate copd?

Today was one of those" not only did I feel like I hit the wall, I felt like the wall collapsed on top of me" rides.
    It wasn't fast (15mph)
    It wasn't that far (30 miles)
    It wasn't for lack of a warm up (I rode the 4.3 miles into and home from the ride)
    Weather was perfect(no wind, moderate humidity levels, started in the high 50s and ended in the low 70s)
    I was on the CF (so we can't use weight as the excuse)
    I'd had my oatmeal before starting out.

But,(and this has been the last 3 outings) I had nothing..nothing in the legs, nothing in reserve , nothing.

(To qualify..While I don't carry oxygen-don't qualify-I'm usually able to easily keep a 16mph pace and- so long as it's a one time a week deal- I can and have kept 19mph for the duration)

I got home and the stats (oxygen wise-via my own personal Nonim Oximeter)told the story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have emphysema,I carry an inhaler with Salbutimol in it(not a steroid).I try not to use it and often dont have to.Its actually recommended to take a shot before exercise but i wait till that heavy feeling in chest starts and or coughing, wheezing.Dont like any kinda drug so i use it sparingly.I find damp days and winter (-30 below most of winter up here)i need it more.Took me along time to ask doc. for inhaler,best thing i ever did,why suffer?My legs and heart can keep going when my lungs cant( till i give myself a shot re: inhaler),doesnt sound like copd is the problem but im not a doc.

lwb
    My Bikes
    Speacialized Sequoia, Surley CrossCheck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have interstitial lung disease. Ride with two oxygen bottles rigged to the bike, running at 8L/min. No problem, do a 39 mile rt commute 4-5 days per week. Cycling is one thing lung patients *can* do.

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Wingra, 30 yr old KHS Mountain Bike, Used Yakima traile
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had asthma since I was 2 as old. I've had double pneumonia either 18 or 19 times. Needless to say there is more scar tissue than active alveoli. My primary care physician has avoided documenting COPD but he has advised me to lose weight and exercise my heart out.

Most times I can ride with no real problems, however occasionally I hit the O2 wall and no amount of heavy breathing will pull me out of it. When that happens, the lactic build-up becomes overwhelming and I'm out of it physically for at least 24 hours.

Lighter, longer and faster are both advancing, but not as quickly as I had hoped. Nothing for it but to keep trying.
    The difference between "Bold" and "Stupid"
    is often measured by the severity of your injuries.

63 yr old MTB newbie and his lovely bride

His: '08 Roubaix S-Works, ''11 Stumpjumper FSR Comp, '11 TriCross Comp, '11 Globe SS with Brooks B-17W saddle
    Hers:'08 Ruby Pro, '11 Safire FSR Comp, '11 TriCross Comp, '11 Skinny Benny SS with Brooks B-17 saddle
    Theirs: '10 Breezer 3-speed commuter

lwb
    My Bikes
    Speacialized Sequoia, Surley CrossCheck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you might benefit from getting your primary care doc to refer you to a pulmonologist.