Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-09, 08:55 PM   #26
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
I can't remember my memory ever being better than it is now. Does that mean I qualify?
The corollary to Rule #2 is that if you can't remember that your memory was ever any better, then you qualify to hang around here.
__________________
RANS V3 - Ti, RANS V-Rex - cromo, RANS Screamer - cromo
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-09, 09:01 PM   #27
TMB
Permanent Refugee .......
 
TMB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Okanagan Valley, BC.
Bikes: Steel
Posts: 1,256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
I dunno--I was a member there for seven years, about 6500 posts, and I enjoyed the tone of the conversations and also the Lounge (non-cycling) and Politics Only sections. There's much more to life than bicycles, and there's no place here to ponder life's vicissitudes.
There are some Arrogant Roadie Pr!cks there, but also some people who are very knowledgeable. I posted questions in the Lounge on topics from choosing a laptop computer to painting my kitchen cabinets to having a new well drilled, and I always got prompt, accurate answers from other members. After 40 years of cycling, I don't have a lot of bike-related questions, but there's a lot of stuff I don't know about, and that was a good source.
How come I'm not there right now? Lifetime ban for a political comment a couple of weeks ago. Apparently the new moderator is one of the Arrogant Roadie Pr!cks.
I wondered what happened.

And this part is absolutely true.

Couldn't agree more.

Last edited by TMB; 09-06-09 at 10:09 PM.
TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-09, 09:04 PM   #28
dauphin
Senior Member
 
dauphin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 2,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
Maybe I missed something, but I think the discussion was about the Road section here on bikeforums.net, not the other separate road bike forum.
I must agree.
dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-09, 09:29 PM   #29
will dehne
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: rockford, il
Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
Posts: 2,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by curdog View Post
I've finally decided to avoid the road bike forums for good. What I often found there was a small group of individuals who dominate the conversation. So-called experts who can't discuss a subject because they are always right.
This forum is really a breath of fresh air. Information in this forum is very valuable to those of us trying to learn. Along with this, there seems a real sense of community that doesn't exist on any other board which I have monitored. The closest thing to insult I've seen on this forum is a friendly joke. Rarely a flame.
I only hope that I can feel a part of this community soon.
I have had very good feedback in Road Cycling Sub-Forum, Touring, Training & Nutrition, Long Distance Cycling.
In fact I started out with the other Sub-Forums because I got more useful information there.
The Fifty Plus (50+) Sub Forum is a more friendly place but not as performance oriented as some of the other Sub-Forums. A little more of a social club I think but there are some exceptions here also.
As I started out I knew almost nothing about Performance biking. However I decided to bike fast across the USA. I remember some guy advising me to get Aero bars on the Touring Sub Forum. Another guy pushed me into watching nutrition more closely and the Road Bikers talk about Nutrition and Cadence and HR all the time. Not to mention the latest gizmo. This Sub-Forum is more likely to make you feel as part of a group. Other Sub-Forum have other priorities I think.
will dehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-09, 10:12 PM   #30
TMB
Permanent Refugee .......
 
TMB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Okanagan Valley, BC.
Bikes: Steel
Posts: 1,256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by will dehne View Post
I have had very good feedback in Road Cycling Sub-Forum, Touring, Training & Nutrition, Long Distance Cycling.
In fact I started out with the other Sub-Forums because I got more useful information there.
The Fifty Plus (50+) Sub Forum is a more friendly place but not as performance oriented as some of the other Sub-Forums. A little more of a social club I think but there are some exceptions here also.
As I started out I knew almost nothing about Performance biking. However I decided to bike fast across the USA. I remember some guy advising me to get Aero bars on the Touring Sub Forum. Another guy pushed me into watching nutrition more closely and the Road Bikers talk about Nutrition and Cadence and HR all the time. Not to mention the latest gizmo. This Sub-Forum is more likely to make you feel as part of a group. Other Sub-Forum have other priorities I think.

Yes.

I am still a few months from my 50th birthday, but for most of the last 3 or 4 years, the majority of my "lurking" at BF has been in the 50+ forum. For that reason.

I just never posted before.
TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 11:03 AM   #31
crazyb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hills of Iowa
Bikes: all diamond frames
Posts: 1,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
You don't see to many colonoscopy threads over there either.
crazyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 06:51 PM   #32
kr32
Senior Member
 
kr32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waldorf Md.
Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
Posts: 2,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like it over there.
Botto has grown on me to the point that I like reading his posts! Good source of entertainment over there , for me anyway.
And I have learned stuff there too.
kr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 06:55 PM   #33
stringbreaker
stringbreaker
 
stringbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: wa. State
Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
Posts: 4,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Isn't it spelled moron?
__________________
(Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)
stringbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 06:59 PM   #34
gtragitt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston, TX - Energy corridor
Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't noticed anybody on the 50+ Forum that wasn't civil. I find many on the Road Bike Froum to be less than civil. I hope folks don't think I lack civility because I prefer to ride a road bike.
gtragitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 08:38 PM   #35
will dehne
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: rockford, il
Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
Posts: 2,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just some food for thinking.
There are folks who think that striving for excellence in biking is a worthwhile goal. If that becomes a focus, these folks may be perceived as not tolerant to other folks who think that social interaction is where it is at.
OTOH, these social interacting folks are not tolerant to folks who are single minded in improving their biking skills or stamina or physical health.
That has been my observation.
Neither group has the right to judge or make fun of or bad mouth the other group. They are simply not compatible.
will dehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 08:42 PM   #36
rideon7
Senior Member
 
rideon7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Washington
Bikes:
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And on the other other hand, some people just like to get attention any way that they can. Some even like to annoy other people. There's probably a clinical term for it.
rideon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 09:03 PM   #37
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953
 
cccorlew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Antioch, CA (SF Bay Area)
Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
Posts: 6,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I enjoy slumming there. It's like the wild west, without the politeness before the shooting.
Not that there is ever much actual info.
cccorlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 03:20 AM   #38
kr32
Senior Member
 
kr32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waldorf Md.
Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
Posts: 2,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
Not that there is ever much actual info.
I think there is some info there, you just need to to really dig deep to find it.

I think you need to admit though that some of the wild west shootings are deserved.
kr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 05:58 AM   #39
rm -rf
don't try this at home.
 
rm -rf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: N. KY
Bikes:
Posts: 3,733
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbreaker View Post
Isn't it spelled moron?
Not all the time.


rm -rf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 06:25 AM   #40
gtragitt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston, TX - Energy corridor
Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by will dehne View Post
Just some food for thinking.
There are folks who think that striving for excellence in biking is a worthwhile goal. If that becomes a focus, these folks may be perceived as not tolerant to other folks who think that social interaction is where it is at.
OTOH, these social interacting folks are not tolerant to folks who are single minded in improving their biking skills or stamina or physical health.
That has been my observation.
Neither group has the right to judge or make fun of or bad mouth the other group. They are simply not compatible.
It is a truly laudible goal for people to have a passion for improving their biking skills, stamina and health, but they have no excuse for being intolerant nor uncivil. They can ignore the posts that don't address their passion, rather than trying to make somebody feel less worthy! They also might try to help foster that passion in somebody who hasn't reached their level of expertise!

Last edited by gtragitt; 09-08-09 at 06:25 AM. Reason: typo
gtragitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 06:54 AM   #41
wb416
Senior Member
 
wb416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Southeast Cincinnati
Bikes: 2009 Surly LHT; 2007 Cannondale Synapse 2; 2009 Cannondale CO2 F5
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmburch View Post
I mainly look at the road cycling section, then commuting, then clyde or 50+ or Northern California.

I frequent other boards for SCUBA, freediving, spearfishing, fishing, skiing.

There does seem to be more "experts" on this board that desire to tell others their point of view. I have picked up some very good advice on this board though.
Perhaps you haven't hung out on the DecoStop... technical, wreck, and cave diving... they have more opinions (and testosterone) than you can "shake a stick at" ... but certainly there are forums on this board like this one that are useful to lurk and learn from, as well as others that are quickly a waste of time.
wb416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 09:06 AM   #42
cmburch
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vallejo, CA
Bikes: Madone 5.2
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a recreational diver. I assume DecoStop is a technical and perhaps DIR. Yes, these groups of divers may be analogous to Road Cyclists.
cmburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 09:08 AM   #43
will dehne
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: rockford, il
Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
Posts: 2,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtragitt View Post
It is a truly laudible goal for people to have a passion for improving their biking skills, stamina and health, but they have no excuse for being intolerant nor uncivil. They can ignore the posts that don't address their passion, rather than trying to make somebody feel less worthy! They also might try to help foster that passion in somebody who hasn't reached their level of expertise!
I think we are in agreement.
The problem comes in the details. Lets pick an example:
The performance bikers know from experience and studies the importance of higher cadence biking.
A Newbie enters the discussion and claims that low cadence is better based on his/her experience on relatively short rides. The performance biker may be not gracious in telling the Newbie what is a well known procedure.
This has happened to me many times. It helps if you know that you do not know. Trouble is that our culture has developed to the point that every opinion must be graciously handled regardless how uninformed.
will dehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 10:52 AM   #44
gtragitt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston, TX - Energy corridor
Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by will dehne View Post
I think we are in agreement.
The problem comes in the details. Lets pick an example:
The performance bikers know from experience and studies the importance of higher cadence biking.
A Newbie enters the discussion and claims that low cadence is better based on his/her experience on relatively short rides. The performance biker may be not gracious in telling the Newbie what is a well known procedure.
This has happened to me many times. It helps if you know that you do not know. Trouble is that our culture has developed to the point that every opinion must be graciously handled regardless how uninformed.
I like your example and your points with one execption. I think our culture has deteriorated to a point where there is little tolerance for diverse opinions. It would be more desirable to use facts to dispell wrong assumtions and not attempt to belittle a person holding those incorrect notions. My point is that our society is now less civil than in previous decades. As 60 year old I have seen this trend occuring and find it to be discouraging.

What is nice about this group in general is they gained their sense of values in a more civil era, and those values are still intact as society is deviating from a more civil era. As a 60 year old I can relate to becoming less flexible as I age, but I like to think that I am civil and respect the opinions of other people.
gtragitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 11:24 AM   #45
wb416
Senior Member
 
wb416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Southeast Cincinnati
Bikes: 2009 Surly LHT; 2007 Cannondale Synapse 2; 2009 Cannondale CO2 F5
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmburch View Post
I am a recreational diver. I assume DecoStop is a technical and perhaps DIR. Yes, these groups of divers may be analogous to Road Cyclists.
I'm DIR, although I've laxed into Hogarthian a bit the past few years...

However, my philosophy has always been:
"Friendships are more important than dive philosophies"
wb416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 11:29 AM   #46
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H
 
linux_author's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Penniless Park, Fla.
Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
Posts: 2,750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon7 View Post
And on the other other hand, some people just like to get attention any way that they can. Some even like to annoy other people. There's probably a clinical term for it.
from the New Hacker's Dictionary:

troll /v.,n./

[From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies" which in turn comes from mainstream "trolling", a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll. If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it.

Some people claim that the troll is properly a narrower category than flame bait, that a troll is categorized by containing some assertion that is wrong but not overtly controversial.

linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 11:41 AM   #47
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 2,644
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by will dehne View Post
I have had very good feedback in Road Cycling Sub-Forum, Touring, Training & Nutrition, Long Distance Cycling.
In fact I started out with the other Sub-Forums because I got more useful information there.
The Fifty Plus (50+) Sub Forum is a more friendly place but not as performance oriented as some of the other Sub-Forums. A little more of a social club I think but there are some exceptions here also.
As I started out I knew almost nothing about Performance biking. However I decided to bike fast across the USA. I remember some guy advising me to get Aero bars on the Touring Sub Forum. Another guy pushed me into watching nutrition more closely and the Road Bikers talk about Nutrition and Cadence and HR all the time. Not to mention the latest gizmo. This Sub-Forum is more likely to make you feel as part of a group. Other Sub-Forum have other priorities I think.
Here's the difference: over on Road Cycling, to refer to CYCLING (the activity of) as "biking" is simply not on. One does ride a "road bike", but the activity is "cycling", not "biking". On 50+, we tend to let solecisms like this slide by, but 'over there' they would precipitate a serious flame-fest One can go "biking" on a mountain bike, or a hybrid, but most certainly not on a road bike
badger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 12:18 PM   #48
gtragitt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston, TX - Energy corridor
Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
Here's the difference: over on Road Cycling, to refer to CYCLING (the activity of) as "biking" is simply not on. One does ride a "road bike", but the activity is "cycling", not "biking". On 50+, we tend to let solecisms like this slide by, but 'over there' they would precipitate a serious flame-fest One can go "biking" on a mountain bike, or a hybrid, but most certainly not on a road bike
That is good information. I will try to rmember that I am cycling rather than biking.
gtragitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 12:34 PM   #49
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA
 
Mojo Slim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lincoln, CA
Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
Posts: 2,229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
__________________
Truth is stranger than reality.
'96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
'01 Bianchi Eros
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Mojo Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 12:51 PM   #50
cmburch
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vallejo, CA
Bikes: Madone 5.2
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had to Google this word.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solecism

I will have to edit my profile to "Road Cycling" rather than road bike. What a waste!
cmburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:24 AM.