Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne View Post
    Just some food for thinking.
    There are folks who think that striving for excellence in biking is a worthwhile goal. If that becomes a focus, these folks may be perceived as not tolerant to other folks who think that social interaction is where it is at.
    OTOH, these social interacting folks are not tolerant to folks who are single minded in improving their biking skills or stamina or physical health.
    That has been my observation.
    Neither group has the right to judge or make fun of or bad mouth the other group. They are simply not compatible.
    I respectfully disagree that they aren't / can't be compatible. The commonality is an interest in cycling. Those more goal oriented can come here to find guidance, information and debate about the specific challenges of being older athletes. Those who are focused the social aspects can find those same points addressed in their desire to gather around the activity riding. We all care about learning more regarding our shared activity. For me, I smile either outwardly or inwardly WHENEVER I see someone on a bike, because they're interested, they're making the effort to ride, and they are part the greater community of cyclists.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmburch View Post
    I had to Google this word.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solecism
    I thought you meant "solipsism" and for one brief moment I found relief in knowing that I wasn't the only one of them out there.
    Last edited by The Weak Link; 09-08-09 at 03:10 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    I thought you meant "solipsism" and for one brief moment I found relief in knowing that I wasn't the only one of them out there.
    That's another great thing about being my/our age: can be as 'pedantic as we wanna be' I have NO SHAME in these matters!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtragitt View Post
    That is good information. I will try to rmember that I am cycling rather than biking.
    It is crucially important that you do; wouldn't want to be perceived as belonging to the wrong "community", would you?

My Bikes
    2009 Surly LHT; 2007 Cannondale Synapse 2; 2009 Cannondale CO2 F5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm reminded of Queen.... lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpy4xNAnWzM
    Bob
    Zendiving Scuba Forum (Owner)
    Quest for Fitness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linux_author View Post
    from the New Hacker's Dictionary:

troll /v.,n./

[From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies" which in turn comes from mainstream "trolling", a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll. If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it.

Some people claim that the troll is properly a narrower category than flame bait, that a troll is categorized by containing some assertion that is wrong but not overtly controversial.

Ahhhh! Couldn't find it in the Webster's sitting next to my chair. Go figure!

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PAlt View Post
    I respectfully disagree that they aren't / can't be compatible. The commonality is an interest in cycling. Those more goal oriented can come here to find guidance, information and debate about the specific challenges of being older athletes. Those who are focused the social aspects can find those same points addressed in their desire to gather around the activity riding. We all care about learning more regarding our shared activity. For me, I smile either outwardly or inwardly WHENEVER I see someone on a bike, because they're interested, they're making the effort to ride, and they are part the greater community of cyclists.
    Very eloquent. You have a way with words I do not have.
    Now we need the troops to live up to your lofty ideals. Alas many of us are creatures of our emotions and bias and experiences.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting thread. I find it interesting because there are posts here stating how "civil" the 50+ forum is. I would agree that there are few personal attacks. But before you start patting yourselves on the back, you might want to hear from someone who used to post quite a bit on the 50+ forum, and left. I found I simply could not break into the "clique" that dominated this forum and became disgusted.
    I'm not upset, I found quite a few freinds over in the C&V forum and I'm pretty well known over there. I also post on the Road forum, occaisionally on the MTB forum and I occaisionally wander over here too. I've never had a problem with the folks over in the Road forum. Those who typically do are quite set that their way is the only way and usually get their butts kicked. I'm OK with that.
    As I read through the posts here, I noticed a lot of new names and did not see many from the old clique that dominated this forum. Maybe things have changed. I hope so.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's about time for Pcad to show up.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man you want to see cliques,go to folder forum.Frankly never seen anything like it.No matter what one posts totally ignored.Was happy to switch to here.I regretfully posted a rant.And was ignored, actually glad of that and have since removed it,not my style,embarassing actually.just a wrong button got pushed which i regret for allowing to happen.

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very eloquent. You have a way with words I do not have.
    Now we need the troops to live up to your lofty ideals. Alas many of us are creatures of our emotions and bias and experiences.
    Thanks, it's the Jesuit training ...

Seriously, we all certainly bring our biases to the table whenever we opine about a subject. That makes for sometimes pointed exchanges between members. To be expected from time to time, I think. I also note that as much, if not more time is spent celebrating, in whatever fashion, the successes and accomplishments of our fellow Forum participants, than is spent arguing about any specific subject.

Having read and posted in the Road, Long Distance, and Training & Nutrition subforums, there's a great deal more civility among this crowd. For example, I've read many of the posts on the LDC subforum by Richard Cranium. While there is little doubt that he is an informed and intelligent cyclist, the "bedside manner" of his posts leave a bit to be desired. Occasional sarcasm or cynicism can be an effective way to make a point, constant posts that take that approach will simply earn you the reputation of being a smart a**! I don't think anyone here is guilty of that sin.

My Bikes
    Kuota Kredo, Litespeed Vortex, Aegis Victory, Burley Tandem, Cannondale Rush
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read many forums for differing reasons. I love the 50+ forum based upon the great folks here and some really good and relevant information. As an older rider, we have different issues than some 23 year old hammerhead who bases his self-worth on what he read in Bicycling magazine yesterday. I like a group of people who realize they are human as well as having a commonality such as cycling. Also with age, sometimes, comes maturity. We don't have to hammer one another to feel better about ourselves. We also recognize that everybody is different.

I find that about 5-6 people dominate the road forum and everyone in it. I like to read about their training rides that exceed the capacity of virtually every professional racer. Then there are the lance flamers vs. the lance lovers. The parroting of every published training idea as the only way to ride is allways fun. The argument on cadence, another blast of fun. If everyone who rides needs to spin at 110 rpm, anyone with a heavier bone structure or big legs better quit. If you are not built like a 14 year old girl, you can't be a real biker. I kind of like disagreeing with the fools just to smoke them out.

What's really neat about the 50+ forum is that the info you get here comes from someone who has actually tried it. We try things, sometimes they work, sometimes not. Rather than talking down to anyone who doesn't happen to ride crits, (small circles) I like to hear from guys that have tried all kinds of riding, even bents. Most of us are older than our riding partners, having to push to compete with the younger riders. Stealth and Treachery are our only friends. Wheelsucker, hell, I am practicing holding on to the other guys seatpost.

Last but not least, RIDING YOUR AGE on your birthday is one of the greatest ideas I have ever come across. I will chase that tradition (hopefully) for the next 30 years, or so.
    Rubber Side Down Racing Team
    My Other Home:http://DonGaleHomes.com

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal View Post
    Stealth and Treachery are our only friends. Wheelsucker, hell, I am practicing holding on to the other guys seatpost.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Finding a word in wikipedia doesn't guarantee that it is a real word.

Go ahead, work it into a casual conversation tomorrow.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtragitt View Post
    That is good information. I will try to rmember that I am cycling rather than biking.
    Cycling back and forth between cycling and biking and cycling and biking. A vicious cycle.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I guess we should start referring to him as "Bungee Cord", eh?
    Bob
    Quest for Fitness

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have mentioned, one of the nice things about the 50+ forum is the civility and sharing.... none of us are too old to be mentored, or to learn from each other. Older riders have differing physical needs or niggles we have to work around, so the black/white ideas we embraced in our youth have become shades of gray.

Besides... over the years, in too many other endeavors, I've tolerated the zealots and have even been guilty of being one at times. Now, however, I've gotten into cycling and just want to ride for the enjoyment, fun, and even the casual exercise gained from it.... oh... and the social aspect would be nice too.. lol
    Bob
    Quest for Fitness

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whom did he hit?
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stealth and Treachery are our only friends. Wheelsucker, hell, I am practicing holding on to the other guys seatpost.

Denver,
    Here is something on my mind which has been boiling. You seem to have been around and I want to bounce it off you and see what comes back. Here it is:
    On a recent group ride my wife and I were Tandem biking on a residential street in a busy town. The street is winding and sort of narrow. We were on the right side of the street as close to the curb as can be. There were some parked cars also.
    A very experienced Cyclist was talking to us and biking on our left. Near center and left of center of the street.
    We are approaching a blind left curve. I pointed out to the cyclist that what he is doing is dangerous. He replied: "Do not worry, I am nimble".
    I shut up because I did not want an argument but have been upset ever since. A car coming at us around that curve had only a moment to decide whom to hit. IMHO this Cyclist endangered my wife and me who just recently recovered from an accident.
    Apparently this experienced Cyclist does not believe in VC biking.
    Your comment please.
    Will, you presume much more wisdom and experience on my part then I will ever hope to have!

My only response is that I have no hesitation in just stopping and letting the fool go on his way, if that was a possibility.

As you know, I avoid the "streets" whenever possible, having come to the same conclusions as I believe you have about street riding.

Others may likely have different viewpoints.

I think we have hijacked this thread, which is not necessarily a bad thing!
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Will, you presume much more wisdom and experience on my part then I will ever hope to have!

My only response is that I have no hesitation in just stopping and letting the fool go on his way, if that was a possibility.

As you know, I avoid the "streets" whenever possible, having come to the same conclusions as I believe you have about street riding.

Others may likely have different viewpoints.

I think we have hijacked this thread, which is not necessarily a bad thing!
    I apologize to you and the OP. My emotions got the better of me. Sorry.

XR2
    My Bikes
    88 Bridgestone T700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to chant "it's only the internet" over and over sometimes.I have left several forums where I was a senior member and even an admin over stupidity.Times are hard and it shows on peoples attitudes towards each other when impunity is assumed.Been told not to have such "thin skin".Well I just wish to be treated with a certain amount of civility and if you won't grant me that see ya.I don't have to put up with being verbally assaulted and abused.Life's far too short for stupidity that can be avoided.

Just my 2 cents.
    I owe-therefore I am.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123