User Tag List

My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update on my wife's bike riding progress

I posted on my wife starting to ride recently. She has completed a few rides including a 42 mile charity ride. We rode a 30 mile training ride this morning. She is getting ready for a 50 mile event later this month. A pic of her riding up a hill.
    http://tinypic.com/r/xdi4g0/3
    Last edited by BikeArkansas; 09-06-09 at 05:57 PM.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pic did not make it through.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Working on getting the pic. No luck so far. Will get back.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff!! Congratulations to her.

Here is the pic, until you get it figured out.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent! Make sure she gets a good pat on the back! Maybe an afternoon at a spa after the 50 miler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The difference in 42 and 50 miles is just 30 min. on the bike. She's got it made. Hopefully she enjoys the experience enough to keep at it and set new goals.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats to your wife and you both. I love the determination in her face. I wish I could get my wife on a bike, but she insists "it's boring". Today, we were coming back from visiting her mother and I had to wait to make a left turn as a small group of riders (30-somethings, I'd guess) worked their way up the hill. My wife said, "I dont' know why you do that. It looks hard".
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim View Post
    Congrats to your wife and you both. I love the determination in her face. I wish I could get my wife on a bike, but she insists "it's boring". Today, we were coming back from visiting her mother and I had to wait to make a left turn as a small group of riders (30-somethings, I'd guess) worked their way up the hill. My wife said, "I dont' know why you do that. It looks hard".
    Many of us have that problem. I found out what else she wants and she gets it if she bikes and it is not what you think.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    I posted on my wife starting to ride recently. She has completed a few rides including a 42 mile charity ride. We rode a 30 mile training ride this morning. She is getting ready for a 50 mile event later this month. A pic of her riding up a hill.
    http://tinypic.com/r/xdi4g0/3
    She looks determined. Therefore she can do anything she wants.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear that things are going well. I concur, with a 42 miler under her belt and being able to do 30 mile training rides, she should do the 50 with energy to spare.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She should have no problems with the 50 mile ride Be sure to take more pictures of it.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim View Post
    My daughter seems to find rides boring unless they're along a trail with quaint shops and a good coffee house Maybe your wife would enjoy this type of riding.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, my wife did not "get into" riding until she decided to get in shape. She is not interested in rides through the park or through shopping areas. She is into road rides and improving to the point she can "hang" with the group rides.
    One reason seems to be that since she "went over the edge" to road riding she had trimmed her body significantly (over 25 pounds) and feels so much better. She says the enjoyment is the excitement of riding hard and the good results to her body.
    I certainly hope she reaches her goal of being able to "hang" with the group rides. Quite a goal for a 62 year old lady that has never been athletic. Fun to watch the development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    Actually, my wife did not "get into" riding until she decided to get in shape. She is not interested in rides through the park or through shopping areas. She is into road rides and improving to the point she can "hang" with the group rides.
    One reason seems to be that since she "went over the edge" to road riding she had trimmed her body significantly (over 25 pounds) and feels so much better. She says the enjoyment is the excitement of riding hard and the good results to her body.
    I certainly hope she reaches her goal of being able to "hang" with the group rides. Quite a goal for a 62 year old lady that has never been athletic. Fun to watch the development.
    Ha, good for her. I've never seen the point of riding to a coffeeshop or to breakfast. Like her I get bored with rides that just tool along with no point. To each their own I guess. So many people don't stick with riding long enough to see the benefits. As your wife has noticed, once the body starts adapting and the self confidence increases it's like a drug. You have to have more. I can't understand why everyone doesn't do it.

My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your wife definately deserves a big congratulations.
    Born Again Bicyclist! I found my Faith.

Giant Cypress, GF Wahoo, Trek 7.3FX, Schwinn Sprint

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go!! It is so good to see that you are both sharing this common interest and doing training rides together. I, too, went "over the edge" at age 62, and have been riding for six years now. It has changed my life for the better in so many ways. I lost 26 pounds and have kept them off by cycling 100-150 miles per week. A big part of my improvement can be attributed to the group rides I do with my bike club, the Ozark Roadies. There is nothing like the excitement I feel when we all roll out together to start another great ride.

I hereby invite you and your wife to join the Roadies on one of our rides. Check out the Southeast forum for our ride this Saturday the 12th.

Arkansasgal

old but fast
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200, Trek 5000, K2 moutain bike, Giant Option touring. Also have 6 other bikes for rest of family
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrates to her and tell her to keep it up, this will open a lot of great vacation and rides for the two of ya.

My wife just complete a century today and did a personel best of 19.4mph finishing in 5:10 minutes at 103 miles, see will be 50 the first week of November!

You sound proud of her and you should be, I can't stop bragging about mine!