Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Fatboy Riding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fatboy Riding

I will be 50 in just a few months so I think I have found my forum. All my life I abused myself partying, not eating right, smoked until 2003 after my 2nd heart attack. I am 5ft 8in tall and weighed 310 lbs when I started riding 9 weeks ago. I am down to 284 now so that is encouraging. I don't feel my riding endurance is progressing as I would like it to however, and that is bothering me. I am sure I will be asking many questions and trying to pick everyones brains, so be prepared lol.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    9 weeks is not a long time. Give it more time. Are you riding any farther or faster or longer than early on?
    That's a significant amount of weight to lose in 9 weeks. Keep riding.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that it's all too easy to get into the rut of riding the same route all the time. I think that psychologically that limits your progress.

My advice is to try to find a bunch of different routes and to mix and match them on the spur of the moment. My bet is that, if you do that, you'll find yourself riding both farther and faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    9 weeks is not a long time. Give it more time. Are you riding any farther or faster or longer than early on?
    That's a significant amount of weight to lose in 9 weeks. Keep riding.
    Oh I will never stop riding. I get so much peace from the ride. I am riding longer, well according to which route I take. I live in a very hilly area and I do mean hilly. It's very strenuous. I have found found a more variable route which I thinki will enable me to ride longer. I will find out tomorrow. Also tomorrow I think I am going to add a bike to my stable. I am currently on a Trek 7300. I think I am going to get a 7.7 FX tomorrow.

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin48 View Post
    I will be 50 in just a few months so I think I have found my forum. All my life I abused myself partying, not eating right, smoked until 2003 after my 2nd heart attack. I am 5ft 8in tall and weighed 310 lbs when I started riding 9 weeks ago. I am down to 284 now so that is encouraging. I don't feel my riding endurance is progressing as I would like it to however, and that is bothering me. I am sure I will be asking many questions and trying to pick everyones brains, so be prepared lol.
    Its hard to to eat right to build strength and eat for rapid weight loss at the same time. Its a real juggling act. Its hard to lose weight by losing fat only -- you may be starving the muscle mass you are trying to build. When your weight is down where you want it you will be able to ease up on the diet a little and feed your muscles better. When you add muscle you increase body density so its even possible to increase your weight as you increase fitness. Ultimately you should think WAIST not WEIGHT. Can you afford a session or two with a personal trainer or a nutritionist? Just make sure that everything you eat packs maximum nutritional benefit as you restrict calories.

In any case, congratulations on the program and preventing heart attack #3!

Don in Austin -- LDL down 200 to 150, lost 40 lbs, waist size 38 down to 34 in under a year -- Thanks to good eating habits and my bicycles!
    Last edited by RonH; 09-07-09 at 01:13 PM. Reason: changed to normal font, was magenta, size5, hard to read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been studying nutrition as well as riding. I have found a pretty good nutritional balance to both lose fat and build muscle. I do have to be careful because I am also diabetic. Type 2 diabetes so I and my doc thinks as I lose fat that will get better if not go all the way into remission.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since '05 I've been riding seriously and purposefully (mostly because I feel like a 10 yr. old when I ride my bike, and I really like that). Each year I've seen improvement, whether in ability to go long distances, or speed, or hill climbing ability. As my cycling goals have changed so has the focus of my training. This is a sport that yields results year after year, when you ride regularly.

Congratulations on your success so far. And post a picture of that bike, please.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More time on the saddle and you'll increase your endurance. Don't lose hope, you are very early in your goal to lose more weight and get bicycle healthy. Keep on pedaling.

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See if you can find a friendly bike club to ride with. Some clubs can be a bit snobbish and testosterone laden, but the club I joined is very Noob friendly. Even the heavy hitters (25- 29 mph riders) are willing to coach and encourage noobs. "No one get's dropped" is the motto, and a senior member will stay with someone who can't keep up. The club is very social, and club riding really keeps you on your toes. It has really helped me a lot.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

Bicycle n00B
    My Bikes
    None yet
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, and I hope you recover as much health as possible. You might also check the Clydesdales/Athenas board for tips for riders over 200 lbs.
    I reserve the right to be wrong at any time. :D

Man does not live by bread alone, that's why God made ice cream.

Week Day Commuter.
    My Bikes
    2009 FUJI Roubaix 2009 Raleigh Cadent FT 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been studying nutrition as well as riding. I have found a pretty good nutritional balance to both lose fat and build muscle. I do have to be careful because I am also diabetic. Type 2 diabetes so I and my doc thinks as I lose fat that will get better if not go all the way into remission.
    Good luck on your quest, i have done it my self diabetes and high blood pressure are gone so if i can do it you can (I use to be 286 now i'm 197)
    Chuck

Road Bike
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Commuter
    2011 Trek PDX

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
    Its hard to to eat right to build strength and eat for rapid weight loss at the same time. Its a real juggling act. Its hard to lose weight by losing fat only -- you may be starving the muscle mass you are trying to build. When your weight is down where you want it you will be able to ease up on the diet a little and feed your muscles better. When you add muscle you increase body density so its even possible to increase your weight as you increase fitness. Ultimately you should think WAIST not WEIGHT. Can you afford a session or two with a personal trainer or a nutritionist? Just make sure that everything you eat packs maximum nutritional benefit as you restrict calories.

In any case, congratulations on the program and preventing heart attack #3!

Don in Austin -- LDL down 200 to 150, lost 40 lbs, waist size 38 down to 34 in under a year -- Thanks to good eating habits and my bicycles!
    Congrats on the new font!
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Trek 4.5 and an old pristine Miyata
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome

You certainly have found a great forum with a bunch of very supportive people...you may just want to avoid "some" of those posts about pie....

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    16 lb loss is a great start. As you lose more weight you should see your speed and endurance increase further.

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In mourning -- no more magenta fonts...

Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Congrats on the new font!
    Wasn't my idea. The moderator came down on me. LOL

Oh well...

Don in Austin

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by todd123 View Post
    You certainly have found a great forum with a bunch of very supportive people...you may just want to avoid "some" of those posts about pie....
    Sacrilidge

One thing you will find about bike riding is that you need energy to ride. Have to admit that I can go for about 4 hours before I need to eat- but short ride rides and I feel the need to have a break. 10 miles down to my favourite cafe and a coffee and PIE. Then finish the ride- but there are sugar free pies (Not that I go looking for them) and the PIE crust is full of carbo-hydrates that are ideal for replacing lost energy. And I have even been known to have a healthy Panini instead of PIE- if the ride after the stop was going to be exerting enough to warrant it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually post to Clydes/Athena as well. Many wonderful folks in the Clyde section know what's it like to have to lose some weight. Plus they understand Clyge issues like wheels that can handle the weight etc. I post in both and think either are the nicest groups on the forum.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I will never stop riding. I get so much peace from the ride. I am riding longer, well according to which route I take. I live in a very hilly area and I do mean hilly. It's very strenuous. I have found found a more variable route which I thinki will enable me to ride longer. I will find out tomorrow. Also tomorrow I think I am going to add a bike to my stable. I am currently on a Trek 7300. I think I am going to get a 7.7 FX tomorrow.
    You chose well, Grasshopper.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patience . . .
    It took you longer than 9 weeks to get up to 310 lbs, right?
    Keep riding . . . you're doing great!

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice - don't worry about speed now just focus on riding and having fun. If you try to loose weight too fast and ride too much you will burn out and start fighting your metabolism. Once you get a little older the weight loss thing gets a lot harder.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    Patience . . .
    It took you longer than 9 weeks to get up to 310 lbs, right?
    Keep riding . . . you're doing great!
    I second that.Dont put to much pressure on yourself,just get out and enjoy the ride.Make it fun.Changes will happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cone Wrench View Post
    You chose well, Grasshopper.
    Had to go with the 7.6. Couldn't quite muster up that extra six hundred bucks.

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had to go with the 7.6. Couldn't quite muster up that extra six hundred bucks.
    Nice bike. You'll have a lot of fun on that.
    And it's good that you saved the $600 because you'll need it when you buy a full on road bike next year. It's inevitable.